Bad hair dye experience?

Rabid

Established Member
Reaction score
I tried Just for Men a couple months ago to get rid of the grey, and it worked fine, but my hair has apparently thinned out since then. In fact, I'm wondering if my hair does not tolerate being dyed, and actually weakens or somehow gets stripped by the dye. Unusual, but anyone think it's possible? I've also noticed something similar when I try to use nizorel, even just 1%.

I tried darkening professionally at the salon a couple days ago. When I arrived home and looked in the mirror I noticed my skin was stained heavily with the dye all around the temple points and some near the hair line. Looked absolutely ridiculous. I went back and they rubbed hair dye removal on it which worked ok.

Did they screw it up big time and not admit to it, or am I just becoming so diffuse that there's no other way to do it. Can you dye hair without staining if it's diffuse everywhere including the front? They couldn't offer much of an explanation, and acted as if this was not abnormal.

I have been shedding like mad since then. Tons of long hairs, not just weak ones. 200+ a day. I really can't afford to be shedding that much. Could the excess dye on the scalp have caused this?

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I used to colour my hair, but it did make things a hell of a lot worse and so unless you can just use a vegetable dye not peroxide/amonia etc.. then I wouldn't recommend it, if you are thinning, no.

I did wonder about JFM because it says it only targets the grey, which I of course think must be b*llshi*? How can it?

Staining should not take place if you are going somewhere half decent. If it is, then go somewhere more professional and pay extra. It's worth it. Staining could be the last of your problems if you get an idiot doing it.

Rabid

Established Member
Reaction score
Dammit. Always the hot hair dresser who F%*^s everything up!

Could you explain how it makes things worse?
Does vegetable dye work well with dark hair?
Other than making my own, is there a particular brand you'd recommend?

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Even women who have dyed their hair platinum blonde for a long period report problems with hair loss, not to remember them all but I know Madonna had a problem.

There are always exceptions to the rule, look at Rod Stewart, Lucky B8stard!! The chemicals knackered my roots over a period of years. The hairdresser who is honest will tell you the same, I don't know the science but it does penetrate the roots, EVEN though they apply just above when highlighting hair. And obviously tinting covers the whole scalp.

As for products, I would never recommend a dye to a fellow sufferer, I still say if you are going to dye your hair don't do it yourself, It can be horrendous and you will regret it. Look at Paul McCartney up until he stopped doing it himself and that awful red tinge stopped. Yes, he did it himself. How I know that is not important, but it's true. Black hair is worse, brown is dodgy. Go to the hairdressers and ask what organic/vegetable stuff they have. Most will have it. It may need more regular top ups though

Definitely DON'T make your own, plenty of hairdressers use vegetable instead of tint now.