Bad Estrogens Estrone and Estradiol and Hair Loss

persistentone

Established Member
Reaction score
Estrone (E1) and Estradiol (E2) are generally believed to promote hair loss in men. The third estrogen Estriol (E3) is more benign. Several questions on this:

1) Have any studies profiled levels of the three types of estrogens in balding men versus non balding men?

2) Have any studies looked at aromotase inhibitors to stop the conversion of testosterone to estrogen and how does this affect the rate of pattern baldness? Chrysin is one of the natural aromatase inhibitors.

Those taking Propecia should realize that the 5aR inhibitors that prevent testosterone from converting to DHT also tend to promote testosterone to convert into estrogen. So unless you block both pathways you have potential problems.

isishearmyplea

Experienced Member
Reaction score
how is E1 and E2 bad? what is the mechanism? any studies or webistes? what do y0u mean generally believed?

And wont there more incidences of hairloss in women beause they have higer ratio of these hormones??

persistentone

Established Member
Reaction score
how is E1 and E2 bad? what is the mechanism? any studies or webistes? what do y0u mean generally believed?

Here is some detail:

http://www.fusionhealthstudio.com/estrogen-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/

Google is your friend for studies.

And wont there more incidences of hairloss in women beause they have higer ratio of these hormones??

Great question, and I don't understand the details of how much of E1, E2, and E3 a typical woman has versus a man.

This leaves all of my original questions unanswered, and hoping those will still get someone's attention.

tiago59

Reaction score
Hi, I know a lot about aromatase inhibitors, because of steroids cycles.
First, you want your E2 (estradiol, the " worst " estrogen ) to be between 20 and 30 pg/ml
You don't want to be too low, if so, first, you will suffer from bone loss. it will kill your libido, affect erectil function. Because estrogen promotes " water retention ", going too low will " dry " you, your skin will be dry, your joints will hurt. You can suffer from depression too.
I stongly advise you to avoid AI, unless your E2 is very high ( because high E2 promotes fat gain, prostate enlargement, acnee, depression, low lidibo, ED, high BP ... ) so if you want to try an AI do a blood test before. I went too high and too low a lot of time and experienced thoses sides ( blood test confirmed that, for 7 pg/ml to 90 pg/ml lol )
But in an healthy young man I really doubt your E2 to be high if he is not on steroids cycle or testosterone remplacement therapy.

ps : my AI use did nothing to my hairloss ....

persistentone

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I know a lot about aromatase inhibitors, because of steroids cycles.
First, you want your E2 (estradiol, the " worst " estrogen ) to be between 20 and 30 pg/ml
You don't want to be too low, if so, first, you will suffer from bone loss. it will kill your libido, affect erectil function. Because estrogen promotes " water retention ", going too low will " dry " you, your skin will be dry, your joints will hurt. You can suffer from depression too.
I stongly advise you to avoid AI, unless your E2 is very high ( because high E2 promotes fat gain, prostate enlargement, acnee, depression, low lidibo, ED, high BP ... ) so if you want to try an AI do a blood test before. I went too high and too low a lot of time and experienced thoses sides ( blood test confirmed that, for 7 pg/ml to 90 pg/ml lol )
But in an healthy young man I really doubt your E2 to be high if he is not on steroids cycle or testosterone remplacement therapy.

ps : my AI use did nothing to my hairloss ....

My E2 was 30 pg/mL, but the end of the scale for the test lab was 29 and they flagged it as high. The lab also doesn't define any value as too low? Since E2 is energy robbing and causes cancer (and some evidence that it causes baldness too) I sure would like to know what is the minimum recommended level. What is the basis for your selection of 20 pg/mL? Are there any studies to back up the healthy range?

I guess the first thing to try might be iodine, since that allows E2 to metabolize to E3. It might be a more natural way to limit growth of E2?

I assume the way I got the elevated estrogen was I have high serum testosterone (930 ng/dL), but low-end free testosterone of around 11 pg/mL. I take Finasteride, which limits my DHT to 30. So I guess I am converting a lot of that testosterone that would otherwise convert to DHT into estrogen?

Thanks for the warning.

P.S., Low DHT killed my sex drive completely. I don't think the estrogen by itself is enough to compensate for the loss of DHT.