Back On Oral Propecia After Massive Shed Of Topical Finasteride

NTCP8

My Regimen
Reaction score
My hair started to thin out around 4 years ago, never paid too much attention to it seeing I had too much hair.

Back in 2016 I started to with Propecia, but stopped after two months seeing my balls hurt a bit. I also used Rogaine, but that product is overrated, at least for me. Last year I started with Topical Finasteride, but this made everything worse, hairline was receding and crown is now so thin that when my hair is wet, you can see my scalp form far away. I stopped with topical Finasteride.

In September I decided to go back on oral Propecia (Don't want to take the generic brand), and so far no sides, I think. My semen is not watery, libido is still high, maybe keeping an erection is a bit more difficult but I think thats just in my head. I did a no-fap test for two weeks, after two weeks I had a one night stand, and no issues keeping it hard. Although I don't really have morning erections, but that's probably because I have some sleeping issues.

I had a shed, both from topical, and one from oral Finasteride. The shed from topical was bad, I lost 20-30% of my density. What I noticed was that all the hairs that shedded were dark brown, and very stiff. My hair is dark blond and wavy, so I assume the hairs that shedded were unhealthy. I remember when my dad was balding he only had these dark brown stiff hairs left.

Question is, will my hair grow back? I'm on Propecia now for 4.5 months, and no regrowth. I'm considering to do a first hair transplant to lower may hairline, and fill in my crown, so I can have better density.

I know I have to wait for at least 12 month to see results with Propecia, but obviously I'm impatient. I know everyone asks the same questions, but do people here have regrowth form Propecia? My hairloss is stabilised now. I stopped using Rogaine last week, seeing after 12 months I didn't see any difference. I'm 34, if that matters.

Below three pictures. Don't want to post a pic where my hair is wet, its depressing. the shed extended to my middle and right side of my scalp.

IMG_3545.jpg
IMG_3543.jpg

IMG_3464.jpg

jazz1

Reaction score
Hey that’s weird I use topical finesteride and have been for years with great results. I guess you could add a 1mm derma rollers and essential oils like tea tree, Rosemary, lavender, peppermint to stimulate growth, that sounds too much I use hairloss oils by divine herbal that help. You use any ketoconozole shampoo?

one advice always stick to one brand products, I have heard stories where people have had hairloss after years of using one brand finesteride successfully and than switching to generic causing them loss.....

justbeconfident

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Same situation, taking oral finasteride for 5 months, still no results, still same velocity of hair loss 200-300 hairs a day.

Yet to try minoxidil. It's fucked when meds dont work my man.

Cancervive

Reaction score
HI, isn't initial shedding to be expected when switching products or starting a new product? OP didn't state when exactly he started topical finasteride and for what length of time. This information is important to know.

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt stop minoxidil, you are at high risk for a bad shedding.
Keep on fina, maybe you can add 1-2 dutas weekly, after 1 year depend your situation you can value if go for a hair transplant.