Back on Lace - Not so Into It Anymore - Best Way to Deal w/ "Dirty Hairline?"

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
There are so many downsides, paricularily if you're full bonding with White Glue.

Totally forgot about the amount of debris that gets caught in the frontal hairline. What's the easiest way to address this downside in between attachments?

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There are so many downsides, paricularily if you're full bonding with White Glue.

Totally forgot about the amount of debris that gets caught in the frontal hairline. What's the easiest way to address this downside in between attachments?
Why do you use glue all around? Tape makes things infinitely easier. I've never done glue all round but can imagine it would be tricky.

As for cleaning the front hairline with the system on. Cotton wool and alcohol on the lace seems to work well for me. And for the skin use some c-22 very carefully. It honestly doesn't take long. If the glue has seaped through then you really have to take it off to clean it 100%.

What are you currently doing and what are the problems for you?

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh, I'm acutely aware of glue's being inferior in every way - I just can't use it, as I'm allegeric to tape.

To be honest, thougj. I didn't find tape to be that amazing either. It's of course gorgeous compared to glue - particularily white glue - but it seems to be pretty brutal on lace systems the way glue is.

On poly, it's a dream.

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh, I'm acutely aware of glue's being inferior in every way - I just can't use it, as I'm allegeric to tape.

To be honest, thougj. I didn't find tape to be that amazing either. It's of course gorgeous compared to glue - particularily white glue - but it seems to be pretty brutal on lace systems the way glue is.

On poly, it's a dream.
Certainly not inferior when it comes to the potential health consequences.

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

On poly, it's a dream.
I understand using a full bond on your system. Pulling so much as a single hair on the top of your head feel like my real hair is being pulled. It feels so authentic! However;

I just made the change about 4months ago - and this has been a game changer in all the best ways. I was literally inches away from coming off the hair systems because of maintenance.

The only real complaint I had with tape was that as my hair grew under my system, my system didn't feel as secure as it did with bond. It would lift up a little bit, and my comb would catch on the excess lace, and put a hole in my base. We solved the problem by putting a clear bond around the perimeter- not including the hairline, then applied tape to the system and applying it atop of the bond. (So that is bond and tape from temple to temple - and just tape on the front hairline). This setup got me everything I wanted - I have a system that is secure on my head - and feels secure all the time. Because it's only tape on the hairline, I can clean that up easily, and I can remove and reapply tape every few days on the hairline in about 5 minutes.

On my last appointment, we extended the bond all the way around to include the front - and put tape on top of that. This has been equally amazing! The tape on the bond is much stronger than just tape. Because the adhesive on tape doesn't breakdown when it comes in contact with alcohol like bond does, I Can freshen up my hairline with a bit of alcohol on the tip of a rag. It removes the dirt, and reactivates the adhesive on the top side of the tape were it comes into contact with the system. because I'm using so little alcohol, its not enough to affect the underside of the tape where it meets the bond.

Would something like this work for you? The bond would be the barrier that prevents tape from coming into direct contact with your skin.

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

On poly, it's a dream.
Ah you allergic to tape. I don't find that tape is brutal on lace systems. But it seems to vary for each individual. As I have never used glue all round, I can't give much more input into this.
Certainly not inferior when it comes to the potential health consequences.
Good point.
(So that is bond and tape from temple to temple - and just tape on the front hairline).
interesting concept.
Because it's only tape on the hairline
It looks like you don't have an exposed hairline but regardless, what tape do you use for this purpose?
On my last appointment, we extended the bond all the way around to include the front - and put tape on top of that. This has been equally amazing! The tape on the bond is much stronger than just tape. Because the adhesive on tape doesn't breakdown when it comes in contact with alcohol like bond does, I Can freshen up my hairline with a bit of alcohol on the tip of a rag. It removes the dirt, and reactivates the adhesive on the top side of the tape were it comes into contact with the system. because I'm using so little alcohol, its not enough to affect the underside of the tape where it meets the bond.
Sounds like you've found a perfect solution for yourself. Well done!

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I understand using a full bond on your system. Pulling so much as a single hair on the top of your head feel like my real hair is being pulled. It feels so authentic! However;

I just made the change about 4months ago - and this has been a game changer in all the best ways. I was literally inches away from coming off the hair systems because of maintenance.

The only real complaint I had with tape was that as my hair grew under my system, my system didn't feel as secure as it did with bond. It would lift up a little bit, and my comb would catch on the excess lace, and put a hole in my base. We solved the problem by putting a clear bond around the perimeter- not including the hairline, then applied tape to the system and applying it atop of the bond. (So that is bond and tape from temple to temple - and just tape on the front hairline). This setup got me everything I wanted - I have a system that is secure on my head - and feels secure all the time. Because it's only tape on the hairline, I can clean that up easily, and I can remove and reapply tape every few days on the hairline in about 5 minutes.

Would something like this work for you? The bond would be the barrier that prevents tape from coming into direct contact with your skin.
What liquid adhesive do you use over tape and how many layers and how long curing time?

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m using Devlyn with thd green label. Just one cost. Then about 5 min later she will put the system on. The tape is attached to thd system.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score

OMG that seems like an amazing way to create a solid barrier actually - since scalp protector does nothing in the way of supressing tape allergy for me.

Ya, I'm really getting sick of hair systems at this pt. I think the only time I was happy tape + lace, whcih wasn't viable for me.

Hopefully this works. Thanks so much!

The only problem I see with this setup is alligning things properly. If you're using one type of adhesive - glue or tape - things don't have to be perfect. I think it seems it's be best to add glue to the scalp, let dry, add tape, spray tape with alcohol for readjustment time, and work it from there.

My biggest fear w white glue is it's turning to liquid prematurely and ruining my system, which has happened many times.

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
OMG that seems like an amazing way to create a solid barrier actually - since scalp protector does nothing in the way of supressing tape allergy for me.

Ya, I'm really getting sick of hair systems at this pt. I think the only time I was happy tape + lace, whcih wasn't viable for me.

Hopefully this works. Thanks so much!

The only problem I see with this setup is alligning things properly. If you're using one type of adhesive - glue or tape - things don't have to be perfect. I think it seems it's be best to add glue to the scalp, let dry, add tape, spray tape with alcohol for readjustment time, and work it from there.

My biggest fear w white glue is it's turning to liquid prematurely and ruining my system, which has happened many times.
I’m done with white glue!

we let the adhesive cure for a good while, around 5-10 minutes. We do add tape spray and gives just enough wiggle room

I have no clue how people do this by themselves.
As for wearing, I’m ready to come off of it. I’m just disenchanted with everything here lately. Maintenance, availability and quality of systems, cost….

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm pretty sick of wearing due to lack of good systems - & I don't find it hygenic. If I could wash my hair in the shower everyday, great - but systems can't handle that.

I loved daily wearing w/ fresh lace + tape - it was so good. If I needed to sleep in the unit if I were out or whatever, I could always keep it on without concern.

Oh - I just saw you you use clear glue. I'm allergic to that bs too. Only white glue doesn't cause skin problems for me - but it's so much worse than tape as far as efficacy is concerned.

Maybe I'll try tape again, with like 400 layers of scalp protector...

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd tape my perimeter with strong, long-hold tape (not daily) & apply without scalp protector.

At night I'd peel off - the tape would stick to the base, not my head. No alcohol etc, just slow peeling.

The next day I'd reapply after spritzing the tape w/ iso alcohol, to buy adjustment time.

The tape would last about a week or so, whereupon I'd wash my system etc.

I've also expirimented w/ Got2B black tube gel. It works reasonably well, for about a day, particularily w lace.

timn420

Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder if there is an average time that men stop wearing systems. I just started and it is a lot to learn and I'm always experimenting. I could see getting frustrated at some point even though I like wearing at the moment.

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder if there is an average time that men stop wearing systems. I just started and it is a lot to learn and I'm always experimenting. I could see getting frustrated at some point even though I like wearing at the moment.
doubt there is an average as just depends on how much you want it. The way I see it is, it's not about 'it didn't work' but more about finding the solutions to make it work. I tried around 4 different glues 3 types of tape and can't count how many different techniques before I mastered my front. All while thinking if I ever do get to a point where I just can't make it work I will try tape on the front and change the style. Anything new in life takes some time to adapt. Any successful entrepreneur deeply understands this concept of adapting and evolving from the feedback loop of failures instead of the societal norms of stigmatising failures.

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd tape my perimeter with strong, long-hold tape (not daily) & apply without scalp protector.

At night I'd peel off - the tape would stick to the base, not my head. No alcohol etc, just slow peeling.

The next day I'd reapply after spritzing the tape w/ iso alcohol, to buy adjustment time.

The tape would last about a week or so, whereupon I'd wash my system etc.

I've also expirimented w/ Got2B black tube gel. It works reasonably well, for about a day, particularily w lace.
How could you peel the tape off after 1 day using ultra hold tape?
It’s a really strong hold and feel like the system would rip before the tape comes off.
What base type were you wearing?