Azelaic Acid

Jm0311

Reaction score
This isn't talked about much around here. What is everyones opinion on this to combat male pattern baldness?

I have been using dr lees #600 (contains a.acid) and I do see new hairs sprouting it's incredible.

icdalite

Established Member
Reaction score
I am using it too but its been only 2 weeks and I use it only on my hairline. I have used generic minoxidil before with no results and terrible sides.

Just started Dr Lees #600 and use 0.25 ml along the hairline, once a day.

I also have xandrox 15% which i have kept as backup in case I don't see any results, but to be honest, I don;t see myself using it. It was spur of the moment decision to buy it.

Where r u seeing the growth

SoThatsLife

Established Member
Reaction score
AA is Dr. Lees "magic" ingredient in xandrox.

Well, it is supposedly good for dandruff. But Bryan has shown about 3-4 studies thats diminishes Dr. Lee claimed effect about AA. Search them up on hairsite.

I have seen some shampoos with P-O and AA. And my last readings that 2%keto (1% probably just as good) grows more hair than 2% minoxidil in studies, and P-O grows/de-miniaturize even more hairs than keto in one study, shows that a combo with keto/P-O would be real good. If one use a P-O/AA shampoo one would be on the safe side, if one thinks AA is any good.

Bryan would maybe elaborate a bit more on AA, if he reads this post.

Jack

Reaction score
Azelaic acid doesn't work on male pattern baldness , it's nice though for acne and smoothens flaky dandruff skin. (Lee claims it's the best dht blocker ever :thumbdown2: )

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Watch out for Xandrox 15% Plus. It gave me terrible sides. My skin went dry , inflammed and red all over my face. My guess it was the 15% Minoxidil , but it also could have been the azeliac acid.

Is there any studies to show the effect of a P-O shampoo?

SoThatsLife

Established Member
Reaction score
check out the topical section at hairsite. studies have been posted there.

I would guess it was the high minoxidil concentration that made your scalp bad. But I remember testing a P-O/AA shampoo and it kinda burned when it was on my scalp. Never experienced that with my regular P-O shampoo. 15% minoxidil have been around for a couple of years, but never really had any bug success. It as mostly for people only on minoxidil that are starting to loose their gains with 5% or higher doses. And those users often complain about how nasty the stuff was.

But seriously, if you have so much side effects. Go cold turkey of all med for 2 weeks, drink 3-5liters of water a day and exercise almost every day. That would probably help you get back in "natural" mode. And then you can try to add stuff.

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
Jm0311 said:
This isn't talked about much around here. What is everyones opinion on this to combat male pattern baldness?

I have been using dr lees #600 (contains a.acid) and I do see new hairs sprouting it's incredible.

My dermatologist had me try Azelaic Acid for mild rosacea some years ago. I did not keep up with it over one month so I don't know if it could have worked.
I put it all over my face. I would like to try it again to see what happens.

drh

Reaction score
I've been using #601 for maybe three months now and my hair is seriously no longer falling out, which I just assumed was due to the azelaic acid. Before I had been using rogaine foam, but to be fair, I only used the foam on my vertex for about a month before I switched to Xandrox ( I had previously only used it on my hairline because the loss on my vertex was not really noticeable), so it could just be the minoxidil.

ethan

Reaction score
"...Topically applied azelaic acid has been proven to be the most effective inhibitor of DHT synthesis in the scalp. A topical 5% azelaic acid solution will reduce the amount of DHT in the scalp by greater than 98%. Xandrox incorporates 5% azelaic acid and 5% minoxidil, so that there is promotion of hair growth as well as prevention of atrophy of the hair follicles. The 5% azelaic acid in all of the Xandrox formulations is approximately 3 times the concentration necessary to obtain essentially complete inhibition of DHT synthesis.

When azelaic acid is initially used, it may cause a temporary stinging or burning sensation. There are no harmful direct or side effects to the use of azelaic acid."

I have a 15% azelaic acid lotion I used to use on my face, but don't need to use it anymore, and there is still some left over, I wonder if it would be ok to apply to the scalp?

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
ethan said:
"...Topically applied azelaic acid has been proven to be the most effective inhibitor of DHT synthesis in the scalp. A topical 5% azelaic acid solution will reduce the amount of DHT in the scalp by greater than 98%. Xandrox incorporates 5% azelaic acid and 5% minoxidil, so that there is promotion of hair growth as well as prevention of atrophy of the hair follicles. The 5% azelaic acid in all of the Xandrox formulations is approximately 3 times the concentration necessary to obtain essentially complete inhibition of DHT synthesis.

When azelaic acid is initially used, it may cause a temporary stinging or burning sensation. There are no harmful direct or side effects to the use of azelaic acid."

I have a 15% azelaic acid lotion I used to use on my face, but don't need to use it anymore, and there is still some left over, I wonder if it would be ok to apply to the scalp?

Did you have any results from applying it to your face? If so then one might think it would have results for your scalp hair also.

smitysmity

Established Member
Reaction score
ethan said:

How did that do for you? I assume not good.

BFields51

Reaction score
I just started using Azelaic Acid for early stage male pattern baldness. I'm using Finacea, (15%) I was prescribed this for some small hyper pigmentation spots I developed on my cheeks from extended sun exposure. After 6 months of using this, these deep hyper pigmentation marks were completely gone. This is a testament to this compounds ability to exposure into the deeper dermal layers necessary for it to be effective in combating dht around the hair follicle. Staying hopeful this logic turns out to be true.

rcom440

Reaction score
I'm also using lotion I got online. Now I also noticed it's available at Vitamin Shoppe in my town. I have 20% azelaic acid which I put on my face and my hairline. It burns a little bit but that's ok.
I don't have any sun spots on my face but my skin is sometimes pretty rough in touch. Wondering if it will my skin feel smooth. I'm trying to wash my face with relatively cold water - it helps.

So far I can't say if it works against hairloss. Too early to tell. I've been using it for around 3 weeks one a day.