Azelaic acid is better than minoxidil....

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why aren't more guys using this? I got some on ebay to mix with ethyl alcohol.

The stuff is inexpensive and the research is THICC

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you have genuine azelaic acid, you won't be able to solubilize it at efficacious dosages in ethanol alone.
I don't know if its genuine..... Do we ever really know? Its from a reputable source. How do I make it soluble? Thank you

whitecoatblackhat

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, you can know whether it's genuine or not by either 3rd-party testing it yourself or buying directly from certified labs like Sigma, Fischer, etc. which is what I do.

Pre-solubilise the AA in pure glycerol first, then add it to the ethanol. This will greatly improve its dissolution kinetics.
But it will make your topical greasy, due to the glycerin.

That's why you can experiment with other solvents such as DMI, transcutol, isododecane even DMSO if you want to go that route.

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, you can know whether it's genuine or not by either 3rd-party testing it yourself or buying directly from certified labs like Sigma, Fischer, etc. which is what I do.

Pre-solubilise the AA in pure glycerol first, then add it to the ethanol. This will greatly improve its dissolution kinetics.
But it will make your topical greasy, due to the glycerin.

That's why you can experiment with other solvents such as DMI, transcutol, isododecane even DMSO if you want to go that route.
I bought it from Pure Health Solutions (ebay) who claim 98% but considering I paid $30 Cad for 50 grams and Sigma Aldrich is charging $70 cad for 25 grams, I assume Sigma is more reputable....I didnt know of sigma.

What are the ratio or measurments for pre-solubilizing in DMSO or Glycerin? Zix website site never mentioned this. You're clearly experienced! Do you like the product?

Greatly appreciated!

whitecoatblackhat

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sigma, Fisher, etc. are accredited labs. You cannot purchase from them. They don't sell to individuals, only to companies and institutions, and solely for R&D purposes. I buy from such labs through my business.

Depends on what % concentration of AA you're aiming for.

You can google the solubility of AA in different solvents and decide how much of each solvent you want to put in.

Solubilising 3-4% (if not more) of AA in pure organic glycerin is possible but then you need to dilute it with other solvents such as ethanol and distilled water. Otherwise, you'll be applying pure glycerin to your scalp.

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sigma, Fisher, etc. are accredited labs. You cannot purchase from them. They don't sell to individuals, only to companies and institutions, and solely for R&D purposes. I buy from such labs through my business.

Depends on what % concentration of AA you're aiming for.

You can google the solubility of AA in different solvents and decide how much of each solvent you want to put in.

Solubilising 3-4% (if not more) of AA in pure organic glycerin is possible but then you need to dilute it with other solvents such as ethanol and distilled water. Otherwise, you'll be applying pure glycerin to your scalp.

They'll send it to me.

No.....Its too confusing.. too much info online. Do you mean 3-4 parts of AA to 100 parts of glycerin? all of my research indicates AA is highly soluble in ethanol at 10mgs / 1ml. I've been mixing a gram into 100mls of ethanol. The glycerin may help but no clear instructions online and its greasy. I cant find any evidence of its relevance in the solubilisation of AA above that of ethanol

Do you like your AA? I'm in a keep what I have phase in my life and i see it as a safe and possibly very effective in the prevention of balding but i use it 1 times a week max

Thank you!

whitecoatblackhat

My Regimen
Reaction score

They'll send it to me.

No.....Its too confusing.. too much info online. Do you mean 3-4 parts of AA to 100 parts of glycerin? all of my research indicates AA is highly soluble in ethanol at 10mgs / 1ml. I've been mixing a gram into 100mls of ethanol. The glycerin may help but no clear instructions online and its greasy. I cant find any evidence of its relevance in the solubilisation of AA above that of ethanol

Do you like your AA? I'm in a keep what I have phase in my life and i see it as a safe and possibly very effective in the prevention of balding but i use it 1 times a week max

Thank you!

No buddy, Sigma Aldrich will not sell anything to you unless you have a legit company. And that company needs to go through an extensive Sigma vetting process to get approved.

If this tiny bit of information overwhelms you, then you should stick to the FDA proven hairloss treatments and forget about researching novel therapeutic agents. It's a very deep rabbit hole and you'll have to research and read a lot.

Using Azelaic Acid at 1% concentration (1g AA in 100ml of ethanol) once a week will do next to nothing (and that's optimistic) for Androgenetic Alopecia.

Even if you use it every day at 5-10%, you'll still see marginal results (and that depends on how aggressive your Androgenetic Alopecia is).

Use this calculator to make sense of everything: http://physiologyweb.com/

Edit: Actually, this is a better link for the calculator: https://www.physiologyweb.com/calculators/percent_solutions_calculator.html

Last edited:

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No buddy, Sigma Aldrich will not sell anything to you unless you have a legit company. And that company needs to go through an extensive Sigma vetting process to get approved.

If this tiny bit of information overwhelms you, then you should stick to the FDA proven hairloss treatments and forget about researching novel therapeutic agents. It's a very deep rabbit hole and you'll have to research and read a lot.

Using Azelaic Acid at 1% concentration (1g AA in 100ml of ethanol) once a week will do next to nothing (and that's optimistic) for Androgenetic Alopecia.

Even if you use it every day at 5-10%, you'll still see marginal results (and that depends on how aggressive your Androgenetic Alopecia is).

Use this calculator to make sense of everything: http://physiologyweb.com/
Thank you.

No, I'm not interested in reading and researching alot about Azelaic acid. I'm using a 10% ratio now: 10grams to 100ml one time per week. Initially I used every day for 10 weeks initially. There very little research on AA. The highest percent i've found was 20% over 12 weeks. No long term studies. Nothing to read.

I'm cautious about using every day even if it isn't toxic. I'm no expert. Noone is..... this is all anedoctal except for a few 3 month or less studies.

As for buying AA from Sigma or a reputable company. That's easy. The stuff I have now will last a lifetime anyhow!

You getting any results! I'm maintaining my norwood 3...i think!!! Maybe I'll be a norwood 3 with a widow's peak though - what's that?

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Azelaic Acid is just part of my regime.So as I put topical after topical on my thinned areas it’s a part. I have 20% strength.. starting to use it up & just reordered a bigger tube of 10%.
Ketoconazole though is something I’m taking another serious look at. Initially I tried the 1% & 2% shampoos & concluded ineffective. Then someone posted to use Ketoconazole cream. So I ordered 2% Ketoconazole cream 4 tubes.
I like the research on it. It disrupts the DHT pathways, enlarges follicles, kills psoriasis fungus. Been using it for 3 days & see hair in spots I haven’t seen before. So perhaps I didn’t use it correctly enough before. I would start at back of head where balding is last to go & try it there. Don’t worry it will absorb & work it’s way forward. See if you notice a difference.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Azelaic Acid is so mid-90's. Dr. Lee used to put that into some of his products. I think that the spironolactone smelled too bad and probably didn't work topically anyway so he started using Azelaic Acid. There was a lot of excitement about his products back in the day before finasteride was freely accessible. They seem to work great on thinning but not bare crowns but of course did little to nothing for the hair in front, at least for guys over say 25.

jazz1

Reaction score
Azelaic Acid is so mid-90's. Dr. Lee used to put that into some of his products. I think that the spironolactone smelled too bad and probably didn't work topically anyway so he started using Azelaic Acid. There was a lot of excitement about his products back in the day before finasteride was freely accessible. They seem to work great on thinning but not bare crowns but of course did little to nothing for the hair in front, at least for guys over say 25.
I still have Xandrox the original Dr Lee formula until he was closed down, this was the first Topical Finasteride I used. Since then i used Genhair, Dr Klein and now MAA. The same similar formula and I have always used azelaic acid topically in the same mixture.

Attachments

• 68E31FF6-94D5-4C45-B7C7-DC62CFA93C5C.jpeg
    68E31FF6-94D5-4C45-B7C7-DC62CFA93C5C.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 77

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I still have Xandrox the original Dr Lee formula until he was closed down, this was the first Topical Finasteride I used. Since then i used Genhair, Dr Klein and now MAA. The same similar formula and I have always used azelaic acid topically in the same mixture.
Do you think it's beneficial? I cannot use min or finasteride right now so looking for a natural solution. What is the MAA?

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had a pump version and it would coagulate like an inch from the bottom as I went through it and it was too much of a hassle to get it out through the pump but that stuff stayed on the shelf for years, probably until early 00's.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can somebody provide some links of the types of products they are using?

Just to give a frame of reference? Is it liquid? Cream? Etc.
Azelaic Acid is a moderate DHT-lowering substance that I have usually used in the form of liquid blends to be used with a dropper or pump and then applied topically. Minoxidil is far better for far more people but sure, for some, AA is better than minoxidil but it probably is nowhere close to oral minoxidil.

KHURMA

My Regimen
Reaction score
No. It is NOT better than minoxidil... why did you come up to that conclusion...