Awkward Question

mattg817

Reaction score
The hair on my head has been thinning for several years, and just recently I started taking Propecia, B-Complex vitamins, biotin, and MSM to hopefully turn it around. I don't really know how to say this, but just before starting propecia I noticed that my pubic hair was also thinner than it was when I was a teenager, and my facial hair seems to be thinner as well? I'm pretty sure I have male pattern baldness, but could these be signs of another problem, such as a vitamin deficiency or thyroid problem? I also have seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp but nowhere else. I stopped taking multivitamins and fish liver oils recently because I read that Vitamin A overdose can lead to hair problems. Any insight would be appreciated, I am really confused and I want to know what I should do.

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
mattg817 said:
The hair on my head has been thinning for several years, and just recently I started taking Propecia, B-Complex vitamins, biotin, and MSM to hopefully turn it around. I don't really know how to say this, but just before starting propecia I noticed that my pubic hair was also thinner than it was when I was a teenager, and my facial hair seems to be thinner as well? I'm pretty sure I have male pattern baldness, but could these be signs of another problem, such as a vitamin deficiency or thyroid problem? I also have seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp but nowhere else. I stopped taking multivitamins and fish liver oils recently because I read that Vitamin A overdose can lead to hair problems. Any insight would be appreciated, I am really confused and I want to know what I should do.

I would get some blood tests done to put your mind at ease. Ask your Doctor to do this.

As far as the vitamins, you shouldn't take too many fat soluble ones, vit. A included. Just don't take more than the recommended dosage and you should be just fine.

For the dermatitis, you should alternate between T-Gel and Nizoral. I also think Fish oil capsules are good as they help fight inflammation which is a big part of male pattern baldness.

Try to eat a good diet too. Stay away from white bread, rice, potatotes, soft drinks, anything too sugary or starchy, etc. Focus on eating whole grains, lean red meats, poultry, fish, fruit, vegetables, etc. Never eat fast food unless you have to.

Diet won't stop hair loss, but I believe it does play a role in inflammation to some extent.

mattg817

Reaction score
thanks for the good advice. you say not to take too many fat soluble vitamins, do these include B vitamins and biotin? can I harm myself by taking too much of these. I tried to look around for a b-complex vitamin that just contained around 100% of the DV for most of them, but most of the supplements I found had some insane amounts, like as much as 6,000% DV of thiamin and riboflavin.

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
mattg817 said:
thanks for the good advice. you say not to take too many fat soluble vitamins, do these include B vitamins and biotin? can I harm myself by taking too much of these. I tried to look around for a b-complex vitamin that just contained around 100% of the DV for most of them, but most of the supplements I found had some insane amounts, like as much as 6,000% DV of thiamin and riboflavin.

B vitamins and biotin are water soluble, so you should be fine with these. However, nothing should be taken in excess. Too much biotin can deplete the body of vitamin B. But I think you should be fine if you just take 1 pill a day, even if its like 6000% DV on the bottle. If they are water soluble, I wouldn't worry about it. But it wouldn't hurt to take it every other day either. Very few people even need vitamin supplementation since most people in the developed world eat an adequate diet.

Its good that you are looking for vitamin B supplements though. Vitamin B is very healthy all around, B6 when taken with low doses of zinc may possibly help hair.

Its really the fat soluble vitamins like A, D, E, and K that you should use real caution with. Overdosing on these is possible and can cause a lot of physical health problems, sometimes dangerous potentially in the long run.