Awful widows peak, whats my best option?

JollyJed

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have had a widows peak since i could remember but in recent years i have noticed my hairline getting worse and worse and my temples recessing. I am turning 22 in a month and my hair is only getting worse so im trying to figure out my option other than 'shaving it all off' because of my awful shaped head. The thinning around the temple is weird as i remember people when i was as young as 14 asking why i had a bald spot there so it seems it has been like that for a long time. What do you guys recommend?

recess3.jpgrecess2.jpgrecess1.jpg

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Finasteride is your best bet.

oye_rg

Established Member
Reaction score
Looks slick bald since a long time so meds are give n take. Your hair otherwise is pretty good everywhere else so maybe consider an hair transplant to fill in the temples.

Ross1984

Reaction score
Finasteride to maintain what you have. Add minoxidil in too to give you a chance at regrowing hair.

I'd say finasteride is your best bet. Most of your hair is in pretty good shape so you should try maintain that at least. I receded to start with, which I was fine about, but then started thinning on top too. Thinning is much worse aesthetically so if you can take action now to avoid that when you're older, you should. I've managed to regain the thickness in recent months with finasteride + minoxidil. Wish I'd started the finasteride earlier as I might have not needed the minoxidil.

If you use minoxidil too, you may regrow your hairline marginally. I've had seen my hairline creep forward about half a centimetre. But unless you're lucky, it's very doubtful that you'd completely regrow those temples back. I guess hair transplant would be the only guaranteed way to do this, but if you go that route you need to be taking finasteride in any case, so you may as well get on that today.

JollyJed

Reaction score
Thanks for the response mate! I am absolutely fine with my current hair to be honest i just know its receding further and further and soon it wont be worth keeping so im much more concerned about being able to maintain my current hair then being able to regrow what is lost. I haven't heard much about minoxidil, does it have good results and what is the costing like?

I think ill be ordering finasteride in the next week or two in the hope that it prevents any further hair loss.

Ross1984

Reaction score
minoxidil is short for minoxidil. It's the active ingredient in Rogaine which you can buy in Boots. It comes in different forms - typically either a foam, or a liquid. I use the liquid and most people on this forum say that it's better than the foam - hair loss clinics also tend to prescribe the liquid too as it's more effective. My results have been good. Density has massively improved all over, and my hairline has really strengthened. Difficult to say whether minoxidil or finasteride has done most of the work as I started them both together. Most of the science, and anecdotal experience of people online, suggests that minoxidil causes more regrowth than finasteride, but that finasteride is better (in fact it's essential) for maintaining hair you have already.

I actually buy my meds through a hairloss clinic. It's absolutely not a cheap way of doing it, but you get a regular check-up with a trichologist and they take pictures etc. Not worth the extra cost in my opinion and I plan to transition to cheaper sourcing online in a few months. If you source it online you can probably get everything for a fairly decent price, but it's not super cheap. Lots of people on this forum use Kirkland minoxidil (ordered online) as it's cheaper that the Rogaine in Boots. You need a prescription for Finasteride, but again you can do this online through boots without needing to see a doctor.

JollyJed

Reaction score
Is minoxidil similar to finasteride in the sense that you need to keep taking it to keep the results? And i had a look around and there are a few places selling it for reasonable prices so i might use it along with finasteride! Thanks for the detailed replies by the way mate, really helpful!

JollyJed

Reaction score
Any other recommendations of things i should be doing? i will be starting finasteride very soon and minoxidil within the next 1-2 months so any other advice would be great!

Woodyy

Reaction score
Ketoconazole shampoo is the final component of the big three (the other 2 being minoxidil and finasteride). It's probably the weakest and least used of the other 2 but it's inexpensive and at the very least helps create a healthy scalp environment in which to grow hair. To be honest finasteride and minoxidil are good enough for the majority of people

JollyJed

Reaction score
A few questions i have about finasteride before i take the plunge!

- What causes it NOT to work? is there things i shouldnt be doing whilst im on it? or does it just not work on some people?

- Do the affects stop working after time? or can i potentially take it for the rest of my life with it having the same affects as now?

Thanks guys!

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
A few questions i have about finasteride before i take the plunge!

- What causes it NOT to work? is there things i shouldnt be doing whilst im on it? or does it just not work on some people?

- Do the affects stop working after time? or can i potentially take it for the rest of my life with it having the same affects as now?

Thanks guys!

Nobody knows what causes it not to work. Generally the less hair you have the less likely you'll be to regrow hair. Also, you know the "2%" side effect profile for finasteride is incorrect. The FDA admits that the original propecia studies were not 100% accurate. That being said, many people can tolerate the drug without any problems-I just wanted you to be wholly informed. If u respond to finasteride you're likely to maintain for 5-10 years maybe more. It's a very individual response. Hope this helps!