Avoiding That 'system' \ 'system-ish' Look

Noah

Reaction score
Happy New Decade HLNM, and everyone.

I think the keys are (a) age-appropriate density, erring on the low side, (b) age-appropriate percentage of grey, (c) graduated hairline, and (d) good cut-in, which I agree will ideally have a “lived-in” look, rather than looking like you just walked out of the barber.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Noah's points above are all very important.

It took me a while to get another one though: colour. I don't necessarily mean a good colour match to your bio hair, because really that should be a standard thing. I mean the overall colour of the system. I picked up on this with my 3rd (ever) system, because I had dropped the density but it still looked really thick, too dense. It eventually dawned on me that this was more due to the very black colour of the hair, and the fact that it was ALL one same shade of black. I've seen the same problem on guys with brown hair. If the hair is all the same one shade then it looks like doll's hair. And it can look like one big blob of hair stuck on your head, because individual strands of hair are not distinguishable.

So for my latest system I've asked for a blend of 3 colours: black, some grey, and some very dark brown, which will take the edge off the intense black. I've also asked for the first inch to be blonde and then to have this dyed to a 1B black colour, to hide the v-loops on the hairline.

Noah

Reaction score
Good point, DD. That is particularly an issue for guys with very black hair. A dense mass of black hair can look a bit wiggy even if it is your natural age-appropriate colour. Your tips sound good. I have talked to other guys about getting low-lights added to their units, which is a somewhat similar technique to what you have done - breaking up the mass of colour somewhat.

Manny007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi DD probably half 1b and half 1 might be somewhat natural

I ordered 1b(its brownish) my stylist colored it(mix of black+brown) now it looks natural

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Noah and DD are spot on. My hair is light brown with 40% gray and bleach my knots. I had my new unit installed today - and prior to today, I've always had Medium density - and we would thin it down. On this unit, I bought a Medium density -10%. I've only had it on for a couple hours - but I am very satisfied with the look .

As for hairstyles, I have roughly the same hair style most of the time. I do however grow my bio hair out, and when I get a new system, I leave it a bit longer - then I just it shorter as I go thru the refit process. When my hair line looks rough - then I blow dry my hair down a bit to shade the hairline.
Here are three examples.

The Blue shirt - about 5 months ago
The collard shirt - yesterday.
The White T-shirt - today. This unit is about 2 hours old - no product at all in hair. Medium density minus 10%

Attachments

• IMG_1852.JPG
    IMG_1852.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_1972.PNG
    IMG_1972.PNG
    884.4 KB · Views: 240
  • fullsizeoutput_582.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_582.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 237

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Noah and DD are spot on. My hair is light brown with 40% gray and bleach my knots. I had my new unit installed today - and prior to today, I've always had Medium density - and we would thin it down. On this unit, I bought a Medium density -10%. I've only had it on for a couple hours - but I am very satisfied with the look .

As for hairstyles, I have roughly the same hair style most of the time. I do however grow my bio hair out, and when I get a new system, I leave it a bit longer - then I just it shorter as I go thru the refit process. When my hair line looks rough - then I blow dry my hair down a bit to shade the hairline.
Here are three examples.

The Blue shirt - about 5 months ago
The collard shirt - yesterday.
The White T-shirt - today. This unit is about 2 hours old - no product at all in hair. Medium density minus 10%

Looks great!