AVODART?!?!

JiveTurkey

Reaction score
Ok, so, I just went to my doctor today to renew my Propecia prescription, and he suggested that I try using Avodart. He claimed that studies showed that while Propecia reduced DHT levels by like 65% or so, Avodart reduced them by 97%. Because of this drastic reduction of DHT, he went on, it was also effective in the front. But, of course, it was more expensive than Propecia, etc. etc., but I said, "if it works that well, baby, sign me up!!"

So, I went to the pharmacy and filled the prescription. My doctor told me it would cost about $75-$90 a month, so I was naturally shocked when I was only charged $20. When I read the disclaimer that came with it, it said that it was used to treat men with enlarged prostates.

So, what's the deal? Did I recieve the wrong medication? Did I recieve the right medication, but it is covered by my insurance? I will certainly call the doctor before I start taking this stuff, but I want to know if anyone here knows anything about this. I'm so confused!!! :eek:

jblig

Established Member
Reaction score
No thats the right stuff but I didnt think doctors were allowed to prescribe that for hairloss ........ Because it hasnt been fully tested for such....well you got it, Im not sure if your insurance would cover it or not.....best of luck.....

Stingray

Reaction score
You're a lucky bastard. I pay about 2.45 per pill of the sh*t cuz my insurance won't cover it. If the pills are long, yellow, and have some GX or whatever code written on them, then they are foh realz. Glad your doctor actually knows something about hair-loss also. Good luck. It's good sh*t.

fro

Established Member
Reaction score
what about the possibility for long term neurological side effects from 5-ar type 1 inhibition? There is no biological model for inhibition of this enzyme, and 5-ar type 1 is abundant in brain tissue. I want to try dutasteride, too, but I'd like to get a straight answer about this.

Stingray

Reaction score
Exactly, there is no studies... so until problems occur, I'm going to assume they won't.

I'll let you know.

Do you know the long term side effects of being alive? You die!

You will need to stop worrying so much about POTENTIAL side effects. Avodart isn't designed for hair-loss ANYWAYS... so it's a risk just taking it off label. If you are worried, then don't even consider taking it because it's a risk in and of itself just using it off-label. But you know as well as the rest of us that there IS no studies regarding the long term brain health implications. The drug hasn't been out long enough to know.

JiveTurkey

Reaction score
So. . .wait. . .should I start taking this stuff or not? I trust my doctor; he seems to know what he's talking about, and I seriously doubt he'd prescribe some dangerous drug to me and be all casual about it.

But what's this about brain damage? I'm serious. . .I want to believe my dermatologist and assume this stuff is effective and safe, but I'm a little bit anxious about it. What should I do?

Stingray

Reaction score
You need to evaluate your situation. Have you been on propecia for under a year? Has it been doing a good job? If you can answer yes to either of these questions, then no you shouldn't make the jump.

Only start on avodart as a last chance deal. It's the strongest SAFE internal you can take as of right now... try it if you like, but if you are doing good with propecia, I'd wait till later.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Stingray said:
Exactly, there is no studies... so until problems occur, I'm going to assume they won't.
My philosophy also.

Stingray said:
I'll let you know.
Unless 5-ar type 1 inhibition buggers up your memory.

Stingray said:
Do you know the long term side effects of being alive? You die!
What the f***? I don't remember reading that in the contract :pissed:

Stingray

Reaction score
Maneman... what the hell are you talking about?

G

what if you took adovert only once or twice a week and the rest of the days you took propecia?

ppl

Reaction score
Should I take Avodart?

I suffer hairloss seriously since Aug2003, Then I took Propecia and regaine, After a month after regaine, I find that some regrowth in the hairline. But, now, the hair gaind seems to e loss again in this few week, is it mean they not work for me? up to now, I can't observe regrowth compare with Aug, even worse. I extremely affected by hairloss, become passive and like indoor, wear cap, afraid to comb, etc. So, I am trying to find more information of avodart, since some people get worse result than propecia, some are better. Any good site I can get this? As I live in HK, no avodart in here. So I need to buy it thu web, any good site(good quality, not fake) that i can order avodart? Really thx a lot for any advice~