Avodart vs. Proscar and a question:

J_friend

Reaction score
I'd love some feedback if possible. My regimen is below, and I've switched from Propecia to Avodart for several reasons. Most importantly, my inurance covers Avodart. So, I'm taking one pill every other day. However, I'm considering stopping due to fear of side effects and lack of research on Avodart regarding male pattern baldness and effects (although I haven't noticed anything yet). I guess I was wondering a few things: First, has anyone taken Avodart every other day as well, and if so, is it more effective than Propecia every single day? Secondly, if I switch to Proscar (which my insurance will also cover), will the drug lose its effectiveness because I'm splitting it intp fourths? Can I split ALL of the pills in one day and count on the drug NOT losing any potency? Thanks for reading, and any feedback would be welcomed.

SE-freak

Reaction score
Proscar does not lose it's potency after splitting. Sorry, I cannot answer you other questions.

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There is reserach on dutasteride and male pattern baldness it was tested to phase II trials by GSK for male pattern baldness and found to be more effective than finasteride and with a similar side effect profile.

If you are not having side effects then don't worry about them!

J_friend

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I'm still wondering about taking Avodart every other day. My friend who's a doctor actually takes it once a week - he claims that it stays in the system a VERY long time and there's no reason to take it every day for male pattern baldness. However, I'm starting off with every other day, and I'll see how it goes.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
J_friend said:
Thanks for the feedback. I'm still wondering about taking Avodart every other day. My friend who's a doctor actually takes it once a week - he claims that it stays in the system a VERY long time and there's no reason to take it every day for male pattern baldness.

You (and possibly your doctor) are confusing dutasteride's half-life with what the equivalent dutasteride dose would be, compared to Propecia. Here's the straight scoop for you: in Glaxo's trial for hairloss, a dutasteride dose of 0.1 mg/day was found to be almost EXACTLY as effective as 5 mg of finasteride per day. Therefore, taking an Avodart capsule once every 5 days would be as effective as taking Propecia (or Proscar) every day. Taking an Avodart every other day would be slightly more effective still.

Bryan

Goingat20

Reaction score
Interesting, that has cleared things up for me, thanks Bryan