Avodart Side Effects (Nightmares and Restless Sleep)

GoHairGo

Reaction score
I have been on Avodart on 3 months now and I have noticed that I have been dreaming much more then I usually do. Now that would be great if the dreams were of me winning the lottery or being able to fly or something fun.

Instead while I wouldn't call them nightmares, my "avodart dreams" are very anixety driven and never positive. I dream of snowstorm hurricanes (that would make a great movie) and other horrific things that really disrupt my sleep. Also I noticed that I usually wake up around the same time in the middle of the night since taking Avodart and I can't get back to sleep.

I have never had trouble having a restful night's sleep until I started using Avodart. I have looked online and I haven't found any documentation on this potential side effect. My friend who started using Avodart before I did has experienced similar side effects and they were so bad he started taking Avodart every other day instead of daily.

Anyone else on Avodart experience similar issues with Avodart?

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Yes,
I've been on Avodart for over 5 months-- heading onto my sixth month.

Ever since taking it, my dream frequency has increase ten-fold. It's getting more and more vivid. I used to talk in my sleep when I was much younger, and now it's coming back.

The dreams aren't nightmares, but they are a litte weird. They're not jolly dreams, but they are kind of like "story plots."

They don't bother me. In fact, I'm glad that I'm dreaming now.

In terms of being restless, I sometimes feel unrested throughout the entire day. I'll sleep for 14 hours and still feel like I'm not rested. I don't know what it is.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Jacky81

Established Member
Reaction score
Have sometimes problems with sleep, no dreams but waking up - but then i must "let water" - and i can sleep again.
Only sometimes (full moon) i cannot "sleep in" easy.

If you have problems: try to reduce coffeine (cafe and so on).

Goingat20

Reaction score
my dreams have increased! Sometimes i find it a bit hard to sleep....

Jacky81

Established Member
Reaction score
Another aspect: consider if you take other drugs (alkohol?, "grass"?) that could also affect your sleeping rhythm.

powersam

Reaction score
any of you on nicotine patches? they are well known to have a large effect on your dreams. more of them, more vivid dreams, nightmares too i've heard

Aplunk1

Reaction score
No other substances besides copious amounts of alcohol in my system-- What can I say, I'm 20.

lurkadurk

Reaction score
i took dutas the same day i took some zyrtec (brainless i know) and had the craziest dream ever, i was in room and the walls were changing colors like i was on drugs and i ran out then fell to the ground and rabbits attacked my hands

now i take dutas before i go to bed, no crazy dreams, but i've only been taking it a week

nohairnodandruff

Established Member
Reaction score
I always have this reoccurring dream of flying around like superman. Sometimes I have Telekenetic<sp?> powers.

I am always being chased, and when I was younger I would float to get away from my chaser, but as I got older I learned how to fly at lightning speeds.

Weird re-occurring dream?

Aplunk1

Reaction score
nohairnodandruff said:
I always have this reoccurring dream of flying around like superman. Sometimes I have Telekenetic<sp?> powers.

I am always being chased, and when I was younger I would float to get away from my chaser, but as I got older I learned how to fly at lightning speeds.

Weird re-occurring dream?

Please post ONLY if you're experiencing these dreams as a side effect of Avodart.

nohairnodandruff

Established Member
Reaction score
well since you mentioned it, I am having dreams of being Lex Luther, and I am actually chasing someone the whole time

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I took some dutasteride with some LSD and the weirdest thing happened. The dutasteride cancelled out the effects of the LSD, and started to give me these crazy hallucinations. I think it must be unsafe.

nohairnodandruff

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I have a theory why some of you are saying you "Dream" more. Its probably not the fact that you dream more, its that you remember more of your dreams.

When you go to bed, if you don't wake up within 20 or 30 secs of you dream, then you wont remember it.

Ive noticed that I had to get up more times in the middle night to go pee, thus causing me to remember more of my dreams

powersam

Reaction score
i don't know anything about sleep cycles or REM or any of that sh*t. but the above post sounds quite reasonable. and a very simple explanation at that.

oni

Reaction score
:lol: Sorry no strange dreams for me after 2years and 2ish months on dutasteride.

I only get strange dreams under stress (ring a bell!!!!!!!!! like stress caused from your hair falling out lol!) or eating chesse just before bed lol!

the_swami

Established Member
Reaction score
I am not taking dutasteride, but I do have sleep problems. I have had them for YEARS and really bad. I've tried a crap-load of drugs but none helped me actually sleep better and wake up more rested and without a hangover. I recently found one thing that does help a lot though: the amino acid L-tryptophan. It is the precursor to both melatonin and serotonin. Google it to find USP grade suppliers. Not all vitamin companies carry it because of a FDA regulation that should have been taking off the books YEARS ago but wasn't. It is, however, quite safe. I recommend the Dr's Best brand (think that is what it is), there are a few other brands as well. They sell 100g of powder (USP grade) for a reasonable price. Take 2-4 grams at night with fruit juice. Hopes this helps someone. I never noticed s#!t with 5HTP, BTW.