Avodart, once or twice a week, or once a month?

nizoralad

Reaction score
Hi,

Could anyone please tell me if Avodart, (0.5 mg) because it is a powerful dual 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor (types 1 and 2) might still be effective once or twice a week, or once a month? Also, is there anyone on this forum on a dose such as that and has had positive results? Cheers.

Stingray

Reaction score
You need to maintain a certain LEVEL of dutasteride in your body to reap any form of benifits. Once a day, or at LEAST once every other day is necessary for any positive effects. Just because it lasts a while in your blood system doesn't mean that the amount is sufficient to be effective.

JJ Gittes

Established Member
Reaction score
Avodart dosing

I've been a propecia/minoxidil user for about 3.5 years, and enjoyed the usual moderate success, which has, unfortunately, faltered lately.

Therefore, I'm thinking very seriously about switching from finasteride to dutasteride. So, I see that Medical Wellness Center offers both avodart .5 mg, or dutasteride .125 mg.

They justify the supposed efficacy of .125 by what seems to me a somewhat dubious correlation between Proscar (5mg finasteride) and Propecia (1 mg finasteride).

As far as I know, Glaxo never conducted tests of dutasteride at .125 mg in either the Phase I or II trials.

Does anybody know whether .125 mg dutasteride has any claim to efficacy here?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Stingray said:
You need to maintain a certain LEVEL of dutasteride in your body to reap any form of benifits. Once a day, or at LEAST once every other day is necessary for any positive effects.

In Glaxo's trial, 0.1 mg/day of dutasteride had virtually identical results as daily Proscar. So 1 Avodart capsule every 5 days should do about as well as Propecia.

Bryan