avodart and skin effects

lilo

Reaction score
Ive been on avodart for about 3 weeks now. I've already noticed a slow down in hair loss, but i've also noticed a reaction to my skin. I've been breaking out in some places, and my skin is very irritated, which wasn't the case before.

I've read this in other posts, but have a lot of people experienced these sides? Does it go away, or get worse? Any advice?

nervx

Established Member
Reaction score
i find that both finasteride and avodart give me some acne... avodart to a lesser extent however it seems like it takes longer for the redness to go away on avodart. might be my imagination though. i also have a few small bumps on my scalp but im not sure if it's a side effect of the drug.

anyway drink lots of water, use moisturizer and acne stuff if you get breakouts and it shouldn't be too hard to keep your skin looking fine. getting a little sun helps too.

lilo

Reaction score
ive been applying astrigent and face wash literally 3 times a day for like 2 weeks

if anything, it feels like im irritating my skin more. I know everyone says sides are part of the treatment and what not, but whats the point in maybe slowing down hair loss if you ruin your skin

i will certainly discontinue avodart if i cant find a remedy

nervx

Established Member
Reaction score
wash your face with a face cloth and only use mild astrigent or acne wash once or twice a day tops. do it right after you shower or before bed after washing your face. if you use too much it will rape your skin, drying it out, making it red and irritating it. remember it takes time to clear your skin, going overboard is going to cause more harm than help.

if you find your skin feeling tight and dry use some moisturizer. i use a small amount of aveeno after showering and it keeps me good all day.

Pondle

Reaction score
Hmmm, why would Avodart cause acne? My understanding was that acne is androgen dependent, and therefore should reduce with an anti-androgen treatment... there are a few references in PubMed, like this one and this one.

Renegade

Established Member
Reaction score
I used to have a moderate amount of acne but dutasteride has virtually eliminated it. Now, slim to none (most of time, none)!

krazer22

Reaction score
yea my skin gets pretty blochy since ive been on avodart, sometimes it actually hurts...its wierd though, it will be remarkably clear for like 3 or 4 days then red and blochy for the next few days ect

Aplunk1

Reaction score
lilo said:
Ive been on avodart for about 3 weeks now. I've already noticed a slow down in hair loss, but i've also noticed a reaction to my skin. I've been breaking out in some places, and my skin is very irritated, which wasn't the case before.

I've read this in other posts, but have a lot of people experienced these sides? Does it go away, or get worse? Any advice?

Talk to your doctor. Breakout is a rare but serious side effect of Avodart.

CCS

Reaction score
Pondle said:
Hmmm, why would Avodart cause acne? My understanding was that acne is androgen dependent, and therefore should reduce with an anti-androgen treatment... there are a few references in PubMed, like this one and this one.

I agree. I'm going to put spironolactone on my face to see if it reduces pore size. Better yet, RU.