Austrian guy seeks for advice - receding hairline and thick hair by birth, or male pattern baldness?

Baldur

Reaction score
Hello!

This is my first post in an english-speaking forum. English isn't my first language, so i hope to tell you about my problem the best way and I would be glad to receive some informations!

I'm 22 years old an never worried about hairloss, actually i never noticed balding or hairloss; my hair are completely thick and look healty. Even at the back of my had there isn't any balding or clearing. I don't loose hair after combing or washing them either. My hairline is very similar to Justin Theroux (American Psycho).

Since i can remember i had high corners, like my father at the age of 52 with completely thick hair, and my greatuncle on my mother's side (85yo.). my maternal grandfather started balding younger than me, at the age of 18-19, but had a different hairline and hair than me.
Except my grandfather, nobody in my close family experienced balding.

I would like to ask you,

1. if this is just a "normal hairline" (widow's peak, mature hairline)?
2. if i should start to take finasteride and Minoxidil?

What do you think about the pictures and my current status?

front:

http://s1.directupload.net/file/d/3361/biqkbcbx_jpg.htm

side:

http://s14.directupload.net/file/d/3361/oevhks9a_jpg.htm

vortex:

http://s7.directupload.net/file/d/3361/e74ysexh_jpg.htm

At the age of 12:

http://s14.directupload.net/file/d/3361/k75dgsa5_jpg.htm

platinums

Reaction score
Servus! I know this is a late reply, but whatever. You definitely have 'higher corners' but overall it looks fine. Maybe keep watching for changes...I also have fine hair that looks much worse when it's wet.(am 24) I'm only using nizoral shampoo for now.

CursedMen

Established Member
Reaction score
I think if you were to buzz your hair again it would look identical to the one from age 12.

first_duty

Reaction score
hard to say

It' s hard to say, maybe it is the very beginning of a male pattern baldness, your temples look more cornerd than at the age of 12. I had your same problem and dilemma when I was 22 and at the end it was a slow male pattern baldness. If tou want to see my story it is in "starscream story" (I had to change my nickname beacuse i lost my account), I also had a high hairline when I was a child but when your hairline start losing hair on temples it is not because you have always had a high hairline. Just keep checking your hair for now, further loss on temple in the next year would mean male pattern baldness.

Baldur

Reaction score
Thank you for your answers!
So at the moment, the best thing I can do ist to keep an eye on it? So medication is not necessary at the moment?

badgenetics1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What is your family history like? If males in your family tend to experience aggressive hair loss, jump on Propecia. If your relatives tend to keep their hair, then I'd keep an eye on it for now. Remember though that maintenance is much easier than regrowth.

Baldur

Reaction score
The only person who went bald in my family was my maternal grandfather, and yes, he was experiencing aggressive hair loss and went bald in his early twentys, much more worse than me.
But the strange thin is: his brother is a Norwood 2 from childhood on and even yet, at the age of 85, his status hasn't changed. He also has a Widows peak similar to mine.
My father and my paternal grandfather haven't experienced balding. Even with 52 years my father has thick, dense hair and was allways a Norwood 2 as far as I can remember.

Da Crow

Established Member
Reaction score
From quick looks, I can see the follicles have lost some volume/density since you were 12, but it's earlier in the process. The hair is lighter as well, which if not done by the sun, is part of the miniaturization process.

It doesn't seem to be aggressive as you say your grandfather's was, which sometimes you will get a dominant or recessive gene from the x chromosome for hair, so maybe you have just a slower form of it.

I personally would get on something now and experiment, maybe try an herbal form of DHT inhibitor such as hairomega on amazon or any other multivitamin with similar ingredients.

Baldur

Reaction score
Even if there was a change linked to male pattern baldness in the last 10 years, since i were twelve, it doesn't seem to be an aggressive form. But I think that even a slow, not much aggressive form of hair loss could be elusive on the other hand, because you may are not noticing it.

first_duty

Reaction score
Thank you for your answers!
So at the moment, the best thing I can do ist to keep an eye on it? So medication is not necessary at the moment?

If it is a slow male pattern baldness and you start taking finasteride now, it is almost sure that you will stop losing hair and maybe you temples and the rest of your hair will get better. So in a couple of years you will start wondering whether you really have male pattern baldness or not. The problem is that before starting to take fina and minoxidil you have to be sure you have androgenetic alopecia but to be sure you have to wait some noticeable loss or you have to see a good dermatoligist that can see (with a kind of microscope they use to magnifiy your scalp) too many miniaturizing hairs in the vertex or in the temples before the thinning or the recession become clearly visible.
Your siutation is very difficult to evaluate because at the age of 12 you actually had a high and not straight hairline already, so that' s your hairline without DHT damaging it and it is not very different from the one you currently have; anyway my guess is that you have started losing something on the temples but I can be wrong since pictures are often deceiving.

PS
since English isn' t my first language either, i hope you understand me well ;)

Baldur

Reaction score
Thank you for your advice.
Sorry for my late response; I understand you quite well, actually english isn't my first language either.

I've visited a dermatologist and, according to her, I don't have any signs of balding at the moment. My hair seems to be normal at the moment.

The thing is, I think that because of my v-shaped widow's peak - hairline, my corners look much more pronounced than they would look with a straight hairline and so I'm concerned about my situation and balding in general.

I would like to ask you an additional question:

may some of you know, if the normal maturing process regarding high hairlines has the same progression like straight hairlines or does it may look more accented?

first_duty

Reaction score
Thank you for your advice.
Sorry for my late response; I understand you quite well, actually english isn't my first language either.

I've visited a dermatologist and, according to her, I don't have any signs of balding at the moment. My hair seems to be normal at the moment.

The thing is, I think that because of my v-shaped widow's peak - hairline, my corners look much more pronounced than they would look with a straight hairline and so I'm concerned about my situation and balding in general.

I would like to ask you an additional question:

may some of you know, if the normal maturing process regarding high hairlines has the same progression like straight hairlines or does it may look more accented?

It could look more accented, I think you have to wait and see if you re going to lose more hair on temples or not. If you arrive to the point that the loss on the temple is clearly unnatural, if it looks like the beginning of the "island of hair" on the front, you can be sure you have male pattern baldness. Same thing if you start noticing thinning hair in the vertex. By now you' re on the edge in my opinion, maybe it is your natural maturing high hairline and maybe not.