Attempt at wisdom: My hair loss story since 1998

Paulf172

Reaction score
Ok, I'm 38 now and first began to have issues with my hair in 1998 when I was 20. I don't think I was losing my hair then but I thought I was. I spent hours in front of mirrors and tortured myself. I first took Propecia in 2000 and have taken it on and off since then.

I would rate my current hairline as a NW2. There is no crown thinning. My brother who is 2 years older than me I would rate at a NW4. Due to severe illness I discontinued it and have been back on it for 18 months. I have been fortunate that the hair loss has been slow. I also believe taking meds has helped and has given my psychological reassurance. The decision to take medication is an entirely personal matter so I am neither an advocate of them or a critic.

My goal is maintenance only. I think having realistic expectations is vital. I recently added Minoxidil for the hairline so we shall see how that goes! Taking finasteride and minoxidil take up seconds each day and I feel I'm doing all I can to fight this. That's a psychologically comforting thing.

I wear my hair long and to eliminate any self consciousness I wear a thin black headband that rests on the hairline. I wear it for work and I've never received any criticism (at least not to my face!), in fact I receive more compliments than crticisms. This decision as well as medication are the least intrusive but maximum effective ways of managing things. These are all personal choices and I don't seek external reassurance that I'm doing the right thing.

I plan to use minoxidil for about 6 months and see how it goes. I may at some point consider a transplant but not at the moment. In a sense I'm in a fortunate position. Society expects to some degree a man who is almost 40 to have hair loss. It was a lot harder in my early 20's as I thought I'd be bald in a few years time. I spent literally hours in front of the mirror each day and had to see a psychologist. I generally avoid mirrors now as it's easy to lapse into those old behaviours.

In regards to women, well, it depends on what women you know and your age! My experience of the women I know is that most of that are not unduly bothered about hair. Somewhat paradoxically I know women who prefer bald/balding men and that long hair is a turn off as its too effeminate! Women I know prefer a confident man who is happy being who they are than an insecure one worried to the point of obsession about how they look. Conversely that's what I'd look for in a woman. Like I say though, it's all relative.

Those are just some random thoughts. Losing ones hair to whatever degree is for some of us a very difficult process. It's something I still struggle with but accepting it and then doing something about it has been key.

Woodyy

Reaction score
NW2 at 38 and you're self conscious about it? I'm guessing that's comfortably above average for your age.

Anyway, good luck mate.

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm 38 now and first began to have issues with my hair in 1998 when I was 20. I don't think I was losing my hair then but I thought I was. I spent hours in front of mirrors and tortured myself. I first took Propecia in 2000 and have taken it on and off since then.

I would rate my current hairline as a NW2. There is no crown thinning. My brother who is 2 years older than me I would rate at a NW4. Due to severe illness I discontinued it and have been back on it for 18 months. I have been fortunate that the hair loss has been slow. I also believe taking meds has helped and has given my psychological reassurance. The decision to take medication is an entirely personal matter so I am neither an advocate of them or a critic.

My goal is maintenance only. I think having realistic expectations is vital. I recently added Minoxidil for the hairline so we shall see how that goes! Taking finasteride and minoxidil take up seconds each day and I feel I'm doing all I can to fight this. That's a psychologically comforting thing.

I wear my hair long and to eliminate any self consciousness I wear a thin black headband that rests on the hairline. I wear it for work and I've never received any criticism (at least not to my face!), in fact I receive more compliments than crticisms. This decision as well as medication are the least intrusive but maximum effective ways of managing things. These are all personal choices and I don't seek external reassurance that I'm doing the right thing.

I plan to use minoxidil for about 6 months and see how it goes. I may at some point consider a transplant but not at the moment. In a sense I'm in a fortunate position. Society expects to some degree a man who is almost 40 to have hair loss. It was a lot harder in my early 20's as I thought I'd be bald in a few years time. I spent literally hours in front of the mirror each day and had to see a psychologist. I generally avoid mirrors now as it's easy to lapse into those old behaviours.

In regards to women, well, it depends on what women you know and your age! My experience of the women I know is that most of that are not unduly bothered about hair. Somewhat paradoxically I know women who prefer bald/balding men and that long hair is a turn off as its too effeminate! Women I know prefer a confident man who is happy being who they are than an insecure one worried to the point of obsession about how they look. Conversely that's what I'd look for in a woman. Like I say though, it's all relative.

Those are just some random thoughts. Losing ones hair to whatever degree is for some of us a very difficult process. It's something I still struggle with but accepting it and then doing something about it has been key.

giphy.gif