At What Age Is It Safe To Take Finasteride

deadhairfollicle

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys I just recently pussied out on taking finasteride becouse of it's role in body devolpment during puberty. As I've read DHT in puberty is responsible for masculine body and facial charatheristics (wide jaw, broad shoulders, facial hair...)
I'm 17 and I really don't want to f*** up my development. What do you guys recommend me to do? Should i just stick with minoxidil, nizoral and dermaroller for few years?

tjnpdx

Banned
Reaction score
I’m gonna be that guy and say: never.

Caution: Please don’t take the dislikes on this post to mean anything other than that I’ve made a claim that is essentially heresy to many on the forum, regardless of the validity of the claim.

tjnpdx

Banned
Reaction score
If it were as simple as: less dht == more hair growth, it might appeal to me as being more worth the risks; but that’s not how it is, and we know hair loss is far from being that simple. The developmental discrepancies coupled with its negative effects on neuronal functioning are enough to keep me off. You can find plenty of studies stating the negative long-term outcomes of finasteride use. Regardless of whatever Merck said, anyone who tries to tell you finasteride is ‘safe’ is in denial. I understand firsthand the debilitating mental stress that hair loss can lay on you, but to me, personally, messing with your hormones is a stupid thing to do. Articles used to state that DHT has no use in the body after puberty ends (when that is is another issue), sort of like people used to say about the appendix. I just think anyone with some sense would shy away from trying to alter the biology they hardly understand using methods the consequences of which they understand even less.

That being said, you can take it if you want to. You weigh the risks and benefits, as everyone else may choose to do.

deadhairfollicle

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If it were as simple as: less dht == more hair growth, it might appeal to me as being more worth the risks; but that’s not how it is, and we know hair loss is far from being that simple. The developmental discrepancies coupled with its negative effects on neuronal functioning are enough to keep me off. You can find plenty of studies stating the negative long-term outcomes of finasteride use. Regardless of whatever Merck said, anyone who tries to tell you finasteride is ‘safe’ is in denial. I understand firsthand the debilitating mental stress that hair loss can lay on you, but to me, personally, messing with your hormones is a stupid thing to do. Articles used to state that DHT has no use in the body after puberty ends (when that is is another issue), sort of like people used to say about the appendix. I just think anyone with some sense would shy away from trying to alter the biology they hardly understand using methods the consequences of which they understand even less.

That being said, you can take it if you want to. You weigh the risks and benefits, as everyone else may choose to do.
Right. I'm aware of all the possible side effects I might get but f*****g up my body development is where i draw the line.

Chromedome1990

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's your call really. I know in my case I should have started taking Finasteride at 17 since it's pretty clear looking back on it 11 years later, I was basically done with puberty at that point. I haven't grown an inch since age 17, my body frame is still the exact same as is my facial structure; I was also already able to grow a full beard. The only thing that has changed is the amount of hair on my head. I guess it all boils down to how bad your hair loss is & how fast you're losing it. Is it worth the risk to you? I know in my case it would've made a huge difference for my hair had I started finasteride at 17, without any effect on my body's development.

tjnpdx

Banned
Reaction score
It's your call really. I know in my case I should have started taking Finasteride at 17 since it's pretty clear looking back on it 11 years later, I was basically done with puberty at that point. I haven't grown an inch since age 17, my body frame is still the exact same as is my facial structure; I was also already able to grow a full beard. The only thing that has changed is the amount of hair on my head. I guess it all boils down to how bad your hair loss is & how fast you're losing it. Is it worth the risk to you? I know in my case it would've made a huge difference for my hair had I started finasteride at 17, without any effect on my body's development.

You may not grow in height, but one of the biggest factors in 'development' is brain development, which is thought to go mid-20s early-30s. The whole "you're 18! all grown up" thing is a sham. finasteride is especially repulsive when you're looking at it from a neurochemical point of view, even if you just look at it independently and pretend your brain is 'done developing'.

deadhairfollicle

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You may not grow in height, but one of the biggest factors in 'development' is brain development, which is thought to go mid-20s early-30s. The whole "you're 18! all grown up" thing is a sham. finasteride is especially repulsive when you're looking at it from a neurochemical point of view, even if you just look at it independently and pretend your brain is 'done developing'.
Ehhhh yea it's kinda depressing. So your solution would be to just let it go?
May I also asked how old are you what's your regime?

tjnpdx

Banned
Reaction score
Ehhhh yea it's kinda depressing. So your solution would be to just let it go?
May I also asked how old are you what's your regime?

I can’t advise you on what you should do. I can only candidly tell you my own thoughts on finasteride. You can always do the minoxidil thing to buy you a bit of time. A bit of time at this particular point in history goes a long way, much more so than 5 years ago.

Personally, I’m teetering on the edge of starting minoxidil myself. I tried to suffer through finasteride but had sides not too far into it.

ladysmanfelpz

Established Member
Reaction score
I would definitely wait until you think you are done with puberty. I think their are positives to DHT than just the negative of hairless we look at. I started at 22 and still wonder if that was too soon. You don't know how you will continue to develop. Ideally I think after 26 is perfectly safe as near all evidence points to development stopping at this point (although bone mass density continues until our low 30's). But unfortunately in cases of early ballers like ourselves comes the risk vs reward part. If I were you I'd try to hold out until you are at least 21. Your hairless may not be as aggressive as you think.

g.i joey

Reaction score
I'd wait until 20 if you could, if not I'd get on minoxidil until I'm 19 if I were in your case.

deadhairfollicle

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Tnx for replies guys. I'll try to wait untill im at least 19 if it won't get really bad. I'm going to the derm next week, I'll try to get minoxidil.
Another question: is minoxidil good for the hairline?