Asymmetry Of The Receding Hairline In Men With Early Androgenetic Alopecia

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
J Cutan Med Surg. 2016 Jul 15. pii: 1203475416658470. [Epub ahead of print]
Asymmetry of the Receding Hairline in Men With Early Androgenetic Alopecia.
Azar RP1, Thomas AH2, Maurer M3, Lindner G4.
Author information
  • 1Centre for Modern Hair Transplantation, Berlin, Germany info@ifue-haartransplantation.de.
  • 2Department of Biotechnology, Technische Universität Berlin, Berlin, Germany.
  • 3Department of Dermatology and Allergy, Charité-Universitätsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany.
  • 4Department of Dermatology and Allergy, Charité-Universitätsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany Department of Biotechnology, Technische Universität Berlin, Berlin, Germany provio GmbH, Biomedical Research and Innovation, Berlin, Germany.
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
The Norwood classification system is commonly used to ascertain the progress of androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) with a robust and quick assessment, but it lacks precision in the frontal region, notably during the onset of male pattern hair loss.

OBJECTIVE:
Due to the ongoing technical improvement in restorative hair transplantation practices, we aim to develop simple quantitative methods for measuring the progression of Androgenetic Alopecia.

METHODS:
Here, we used a quantitative system to evaluate the progress of Androgenetic Alopecia of the frontal receding hairline in a case study with 41 patients.

RESULTS:
We found subtle differences in the extent of frontotemporal regressions that were not captured by the Norwood classification system. The majority of patients exhibited significantly larger right-sided frontotemporal regressions.

CONCLUSION:
These results indicate that the quantification system used is a valuable tool in complementing the Norwood classification system to more precisely determine the recessing hairline characteristics in early stages of hair loss. Our findings also suggest that hairline regression in Androgenetic Alopecia-affected patients is asymmetrical, a hitherto unnoticed disorder-associated phenomenon with unknown biological causality.

© The Author(s) 2016.

KEYWORDS:
Norwood classification; androgenetic alopecia; follicular unit extraction; hair follicle; hair transplantation

PMID:
DOI:
10.1177/1203475416658470
[PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Any ideas to explain it?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting that it's usually larger on the right side. I would have guessed that if it were an issue, it would be random.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ugh, I'm pretty sure my right temple is receding faster.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you measure the frontal hairloss similar to the investigation ?

Attachments

• asimetria alopecia frontal.JPG
    asimetria alopecia frontal.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 782

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
My right temple is worse than my left

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
My right temple went first, but now I think the left is worse.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Right noticeably worse here as well.... WTF.

Any theories? Heart is more to the left side... perhaps the left temple gets more blood supply and as such is resistant to the DHT choking it off longer than the right side. Just a shitty guess.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Perhaps the position where we have the parting hairline?

or perhaps the position where we support face on the pillow?

Dat5Years

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Meh Ronaldo has worse right than left and he's like norwood 0 pretty much

cristiano_550x650_20180917025046.jpg

BalderBaldyBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Every face is asymmetric at some degree, why not hairline before Androgenetic Alopecia ?

This is not the topic, or this will end with a showcase of every asymmetric NW0 famouses hairlines

But beauty means symmetry, we pretty much all agree on that