Asthma Medication and Hair Loss!!!!!!

Reaction score
For the last 10 years I've been used the corticosteroid inhaler Seretide daily for asthma. Presumably this medication had an effect on my cortisol levels, etc.

Anyway, about 6 months ago, with my asthma much improved my dr and I agreed I should stop taking it. Good idea, my asthma is fine now.

However, around this point that I stopped using Seretide was when I seriously started shedding a lot of hair every day. I wish I could remember what came first. But this shedding hasn't stopped. Could there be a connection?

What implications does a corticosteroid inhaler have on my cortisol levels, does it support it or suppress it? And what implications would stopping such a treatment have on my system and potentially things like hair?

I had my cortisol levels tested a few days ago, having not used Seretide for 6 months, they were within normal range (a.m. test result=522, normal range is 200-700) however my IGF-1 was sky high.

Any advise/questions would be appreciated and interesting.

G

Allen,

Seretide is the same thing as Advair right? Interesting that you mention this. I developed adult asthma and my hair started to thin out when I started taking this and singulair. Though I've researched both of these drugs and hair loss was never listed as a side effect.

I'm in much better shape now and not sure if I need to use both of these anymore myself, plus I'm getting at least 1500mg of EPA/DHA from fish oils which is also supposed to help with asthma, but those asthma attacks sure are scary and I'm worried about getting one the next time I'm out running. Maybe I'll drop my dosages.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that seretide is the same thing as the American advair.

A

Administrator

Hi guys - ironic this should be posted. This week and for the last 3 weeks Ive been dealing with what I guess is asthma. Never have any problems breathing, just an incessant cough that wont go away, no matter what I do, and it always gets worse after exercise.

Ive been put on Advair as well as Prednisone as well as a nasal steroid spray. No doubt something goes on. After about 2 weeks on the Advair and nasal thing, after completing the prednisone, I started getting hives. Never had hives in my life! And my ex (carol - in the photo gallery) started losing her hair after birth control pills started giving her hives as well.

There is a strong correlation between the immune system and skin / nails / hair conditions ... it will be interesting what happens after a month on Advair. By the way - sleep seems to help more than any of these drugs. I am just frustrated I am unable to work out without making it come all back again...

Reaction score
yes, seretide and advair are the same medication, just branded differently in different parts of the world.

the thing is, my shedding has come about since i stopped taking seretide for the last 6 months. i've just started taking it again to see if it has an effect, even though my asthma is fine...

A

Administrator

I probably wouldn't advise that you use Advair unnecessarily. They are considering a possible recall of it because some people experience an asthma attack that causes death when using it. I wouldn't use it just to see if it helps your hair.

Solo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I used to have corticosteroids until I was 16. I had delayed puberty, and I've always thought it was because of this. I also developed slight gyno and a sleep disorder by the time I was 18, and I started losing hair. I had diffuse thinning, most noticeable at the crown. My hair loss haven't progressed almost nothing since then.

My asthma dissapeared, though.

A

Administrator

something you may want to look in to with an allergist are allergy shots. they can literally transform your life (for the better). Google it.

ashleysummer

Reaction score
Usually asthma medications have allergies reactions. I've just read info on advair diskus generic . It precautions you should be aware of any allergies you have, including any food allergies, to avoid an allergic reaction. No a single word on hair loss. Also I googled hair loss+asthma treatment. No reasonable results found.