Astaxanthin Supplements - Any Users?

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone here been using Astaxanthin supplements? Seems like it could be a good addition to the "stack" if nothing else. If you've used it, has it had any positive effects for you? Not necessarily in your hair journey but in general too.

Seems like it's anti-inflammatory, good for brain, increases fertility and helps the skin.

kiwipilu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of taking countless supplements but I take this one on and off. not for my hair precisely but general health. I have never seen positive change for my hair but I definitely see a positive change when I go to gym and skin wise . I dont take the high dose you can find (12mg) though. I buy 4mg

http://www.hairloss-research.org/UpdateSawPalmettoandAstaxanthinReduceDHT9-14.html

Yeah, that's another one I've taken for years:

http://www.lifeextension.com/Vitamins-Supplements/item01923/Astaxanthin-with-Phospholipids

Among the other thousands of dollars I spend on supplements. Sure hasn't helped my hair. Maybe anti-aging, but can't tell that either. Perhaps, I'll become immortal. I'll let you know.

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Last edited:

mojojuju224

My Regimen
Reaction score
I take it and like it, especially the cellular UV protection. There are some interesting things about asta as it pertains to hair loss, though not a lot of concrete info, but I would just take it for the antioxidant effects. I take the Sports Research 12 mg.

CinnamonRoll

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I absolutely love Astaxanithin. It and magnesium are the only supplements I use. It's the best supplement you could ever want for your skin.

It's completely useless for hair however. It won't even slightly help with maintenance, much less regrowth.

mojojuju224

My Regimen
Reaction score
I absolutely love Astaxanithin. It and magnesium are the only supplements I use. It's the best supplement you could ever want for your skin.

It's completely useless for hair however. It won't even slightly help with maintenance, much less regrowth.

The only evidence I've seen of astaxanthin having an effect on hair is a reference to a study that was never released by AstaReal, but the researchers used topical astaxanthin and oral.

"For 12 weeks, 15 men aged 25–65 consumed an oral astaxanthin supplement and used scalp lotion that contained astaxanthin. Compared to baseline, researchers observed a 9.4% increase in terminal hair count at 4 weeks after beginning administration, and a 22.5% increase in terminal hair count at 12 weeks. No adverse events were reported, and there was 84.6% patient satisfaction at 12 weeks."

It does work on some interesting pathways that have been attributed to hair loss, so it would be interesting to see more research and/or studies into asta.

Seuxin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I use it since 2 years for my skins and energy. Don't imagine it will have effect on your hair. Btw, it's not a powerfull anti-inflammatory. Curcumin is far better ( i take it too, but same, no effect on hairs).