Asking for advice please!

swishbish33

Reaction score
I am curious what you guys think about my hair loss. I am 24 years old and have had a NW2 V-shaped hairline since I was 18. My hairline has slowly faded as time has gone on, receding inwards in the temple area.

I have not taken Propecia or Dutasteride, or used Rogaine, mainly for fear of the side effects such as shedding and the severe side effects of the Propecia's hormone-altering nature.

Here are some pictures of the left side, which in my opinion has changed much more than the right side. I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks.

One year ago:

Today:

The Gardener

Reaction score
Do you notice any scalp irritation or itchiness associated with your hairloss?

Obviously, your hairline is not perfect, but its still very good looking compared to scores of people on this site who are at your same age. My thoughts are that I am wondering if you are just experiencing age-appropriate changes in your hairline, and your fear of a full on "horseshoe" male pattern baldness assault might be a bit premature.

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi swishbish33,

Your hairline looks like my brothers at the same age as you, he slowly receeded over the years and now i'd say he is a nw3, aged 32.

If it bothers you so much then it may be worth considering meds like propeica, but I would also advise you to do some research first before jumping into it, you are young and your hair still looks strong so you have time to mull over what your best options are.

Like the Gardener asks, are you experiencing any itchiness or irritation?

Hope this helps

Lucky

antonio666

Reaction score
sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it is defintley more than a mature hairline looks to be a 2.5 at the moment on the norwood scale and you said that a island is forming(coming inwards at the temples).
Get on propecia or dutas ASAP and even minoxidil and you have a chance of maintainig what you currently have,bear in mind these drugs are no wonder drugs,but i agree with gardener in the fact it still looksquite good

swishbish33

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your responses. I can still style my hair in a manner that "covers" the mature hairline, and it's not so much what it looks like now that bothers me but where it could go if left untreated.

I have experienced itchiness in that spot, but I don't know if it's me paying attention to the itch more so because it's in what I deem a "trouble" area or if it's an increase in itchiness in that particular spot, if that makes sense. I seem to have an itchy scalp period, and I've changed shampoos several times but it hasn't changed. It's not anywhere near bad enough to where it's unbearable, though, or anything that would seem "abnormal." What does itchiness or irritation mean as it pertains to my hair loss?

My big question is this: Can I fill in the thin spot in the temple (where there are still strands of hair and is not slick-bald) by using minoxidil alone, or at least make it a little thicker? Can Propecia do that? I'm really hesitant to use Propecia at my young age, particularly if, like you guys stated, this is just age-related adjustment. My father has the same hairline as I am exhibiting, so I doubt I am going to become anything more than a NW3. And really, I just want to maintain it until I am in my 30s. After that, I figure "oh well"...

Thank you so much for your responses!

Jack82

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey swishbish33, i think you hopefully have a lot of hair to save and propecia is the first thing i would try if i was at your place right now. Don't worry about sides etc, just try it. If you get sides just stop and everything will come back to normal within a week. Hopefully it will halt your male pattern baldness progression and will thicken up your existing hairs, and you might get some regrowth. If in one year you are not satisfied you can add minoxidil then.

These 2 treatments work much better together, but you may not need them both, so finasteride is your best bet for the beggining and it's not a hassle ;)

minoxidil alone can help and it's much better from doing nothing, but it's not protecting your hairs from dht damage, it can buy you some time. Combined with finasteride both can buy you a lot more. Also try nizoral or piroctone olamine shampoo for your irritated scalp.

Good luck!

swishbish33

Reaction score
Any ideas on why there would be itching or irritation in the "area of concern" on my temple?

Thanks!