Ask Dr. Weil by Andrew Weil : Change in diet may grow hair

Cassin

Reaction score
ask Dr. Weil by Andrew Weil
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 10.02.2007

Q My 12-year-old son has alopecia, with about 75 percent hair loss on his scalp along with half of his eyebrows and some body hair. What can we do nutritionally to help with this condition?
A Alopecia areata is an autoimmune disease in which the immune system attacks hair follicles, causing hair on the head to fall out, usually in small patches about the size of a quarter. Most people don't lose all their hair, but some lose a lot. In a more severe form of the disease, people lose all the hair on their heads and everywhere else on their bodies (alopecia universalis).

Unfortunately, autoimmune alopecia is unpredictable. Your son's hair might come back, but if it does, it could fall out again. Some people continue to lose and regrow hair for many years. However, even among those who lose all their hair, there's always a possibility that it will all come back.

Because autoimmune diseases tend to flare up in response to emotional ups and downs, I recommend some form of mind/body treatment — hypnosis may be especially helpful (children are more easily hypnotized than adults). You also might consider consulting a practitioner of homeopathy or Chinese medicine to get at the underlying problem. In addition, I recommend the following dietary changes for all types of autoimmune diseases:

? Decrease protein intake toward 10 percent of daily calories; replace animal protein as much as possible with plant protein.
? Eliminate milk and milk products, substituting other calcium sources.
? Eat more fruits and vegetables regularly and make sure that they are organically grown.
? Eliminate polyunsaturated vegetable oils, margarine, vegetable shortening, all partially hydrogenated oils, and all foods (such as deep-fried foods) that might contain trans-fatty acids. Use extra-virgin olive oil as your main fat.
? Increase intake of omega-3 fatty acids.
? Take black currant oil or evening primrose oil capsules as sources of GLA (gamma-linolenic acid), an essential fatty acid that improves the health of skin and hair. The usual children's dose is 250 mg twice a day.

Pour on the parsley?
Q I've recently been drinking a lot of parsley tea, and my period came a week early. Could the tea have played a role?
A Perhaps. My colleague Tieraona Low Dog, M.D., is director of education for the Program in Integrative Medicine here at the University of Arizona and is a leading expert on botanical medicine. She reminded me that in traditional Western herbal medicine, parsley is considered an emmenagogue, a substance that stimulates menstruation. It should always be avoided during pregnancy because it can initiate and strengthen uterine contractions.

Some people drink parsley tea for its mild diuretic properties, and moderate amounts are safe. But it is quite possible that the tea you've been drinking was responsible for your period coming early. Dr. Low Dog suggested that you cut back if your menstrual cycle does not return to normal.
Parsley is one of the most widely used cooking herbs. It has also been used medicinally to treat a number of conditions. Large doses of parsley leaf and root can flush excess water from the body, and you can use the herb to flush the urinary system (be sure to drink a lot of fluids at the same time). It has also been used to treat stomach and intestinal disorders, and jaundice. Topical application of fresh parsley juice is a folk remedy for insect bites.

Don't be too quick to discard the parsley used to garnish food. You would miss out on some serious nutrients. A cup of parsley contains only 22 calories but provides 101 percent of the daily value of vitamin A (most of it from beta carotene), 133 percent of the daily value of vitamin C and 1,230 percent of the daily value of vitamin K. It is unlikely that you'll ever consume a whole cup of parsley (maybe in tabbouleh, the middle-Eastern cracked-wheat salad), but try nibbling on a few sprigs or chop a handful into your salad occasionally.

? Ask Dr. Andrew Weil a question at http://www.drweil.com. Click "Ask Dr. Weil" and then "Ask Your Question." If your question is selected, look for Weil's response in an upcoming article. "Ask Dr. Weil" does not provide specific medical advice and is not intended as a substitute for the advice provided by your doctor. Always see your physician to discuss specific symptoms and conditions.

http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/203618

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I knew this, I'm on a low-carb diet myself now. The doctor should probably have added wheat, white sugar and yeast in that list... they cause skin problems for many (me included).

RAKBS

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm getting tired of all these "nutritionists" saying that animal protein is bad for you, and that soy and wheat are acceptable alternatives. Personally I know that meat is a lot better for me than soy and wheat.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I also believe that unprocessed animal fats are good, and I do eat a lot of meat.

s.a.f

Reaction score
I think CCS has also increased his meat intake recently. :gay: :mrgreen:

Cassin

Reaction score
RAKBS said:
I'm getting tired of all these "nutritionists" saying that animal protein is bad for you

Dr Weil isn't saying that though.

He is simply saying to decrease it and he is specifically talking about Americans. That's a chopped up summary posted above.

And too much IS bad for you.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Cassin said:
RAKBS said:
I'm getting tired of all these "nutritionists" saying that animal protein is bad for you

He is simply saying to decrease it and he is specifically talking about Americans. That's a chopped up summary posted above.

Too much of just about anything is bad for you... what's worse than animal protein is food that's high on carbs.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Are we still talking about hairloss here?

RAKBS

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
RAKBS said:

Americans aren't getting too much meat, in my opinion. What we're getting too much of is overprocessed meat, and the french fries and soda that come along with it.

I've never seen any evidence that eating healthfully prepared meat is bad for you, even in the long term. Personally I think we should be worrying about carbohydrates and vegetable oil before meat consumption.

My $0.02.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
RAKBS said:
Cassin said:
RAKBS said:

Americans aren't getting too much meat, in my opinion. What we're getting too much of is overprocessed meat, and the french fries and soda that come along with it.

I've never seen any evidence that eating healthfully prepared meat is bad for you, even in the long term. Personally I think we should be worrying about carbohydrates and vegetable oil before meat consumption.

My $0.02.

Carbs are definitely bad for you, this madness about eating anything that's low on fat (and heavily processed fat) and low on carbs has only made things worse for us. We are more overweight than before, type 2 diabetes is much more common than it was before etc. Low-fat and high-carb food don't keep the hunger away, what they do is raise the insulin levels for a while and bam, after an hour you're hungry again. "I guess I can eat some more of that, it's so low-fat and healthy". Nice circle.

powersam

Reaction score
back in the day before fires and all that, our diet probably would have been lots of fruit and veg, with intermittent periods where a lot of meat was eaten. i think so anyway.

so that would be the diet we evolved around and probably the best diet for us.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
powersam said:
back in the day before fires and all that, our diet probably would have been lots of fruit and veg, with intermittent periods where a lot of meat was eaten. i think so anyway.

Exactly. Why would unprocessed animal protein/fat harm us? Animals aren't really that different from us on the inside.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Ive been talking on this board for a long time about the benefits of Low Gi or any other health diets in regards to hairloss, but nooooo no one ever believes me :shakehead:

Cassin

Reaction score
powersam said:

They didn't have a lot of steroids in their food. :)

malibujoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
RAKBS said:

thats why cavemen were balding?

Cassin

Reaction score
malibujoe said:
Cassin said:
RAKBS said:

Where am I talking about caveman in this quote?

powersam

Reaction score
Cassin said:
powersam said:

They didn't have a lot of steroids in their food. :)

True. They don't use much of that stuff over here though, so we're alright. plus i pretty much always get organic meat anyway.

malibujoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:

Where am I talking about caveman in this quote?[/quote]

I brought up cavemen...as all they ate was animal protein. It wasn't too much for them as they weren't balding.

Cassin

Reaction score
malibujoe said:
Cassin said:

Where am I talking about caveman in this quote?

I brought up cavemen...as all they ate was animal protein. It wasn't too much for them as they weren't balding.[/quote]

cavemen were balding because it had to do with genetics.

I simply posted this topic as a talking point for a unique situation with hair my friend. Very specific reason why SOME people...RARE people are losing hair.