Article and abstract about Propecia in Wikipedia

sciencedude

Reaction score
Look at the last part.

Propecia's effects in detail

DHT is a derivative hormone (metabolite) of testosterone that has been shown to be critical to the initiation and progression of follicular miniaturization and eventual destruction of hair follicles in male pattern baldness. DHT is a steroid hormone just like testosterone but with greater affinity for the androgen receptor. Converting Testosterone to DHT thus increases many of its effects.

While the mechanism by which DHT is involved in hair loss is not confirmed, many dermatologists and research scientists specializing in hair loss believe DHT molecules may diffuse into the interior of hair follicle cells (the cytoplasm or cytosol) and bind with androgen receptors. This complex, both the receptor and the DHT molecule, then enters the nucleus of the cell. In the nucleus of the hair follicle cell this complex could then alter the rate of protein synthesis in men who are genetically predisposed to baldness. [citation needed]

However, DHT also plays an important role in the functioning of the central nervous system (the brain), the testicles and prostate, and almost everything but muscle tissue. In muscle tissue testosterone is the dominant hormone, which is why some bodybuilders inject testosterone derivatives to aid in muscular development.

* Propecia (and other products containing finasteride) cause a rise in testosterone levels because testosterone that would normally be converted into DHT remains testosterone. Continual high levels of testosterone in the body could possibly have negative side effects.

* Artificially low levels of DHT in the body could cause some unwanted conditions. DHT is an antagonist of estrogen. Men’s bodies also produce the female hormone estrogen in the adrenal glands, although this is just one-tenth of the estrogen that premenopausal women produce in their ovaries. By reducing DHT with drugs, a man’s protection from the effects of estrogen may also be reduced. This could result in gynecomastia.

* Even though both finasteride and dutasteride were developed to combat benign prostatic hyperplasia by reducing DHT in prostate tissue, some scientists question the wisdom of using these 5-alpha reductase inhibitors in younger men who have no problem with their prostates. A research chemist, Pat Arnold, says “Evidence is mounting that the existence of a high estrogen/androgen ratio – a condition common in older men – is highly correlated with the development of benign prostatic hyperplasia.â€￾

That seems to indicate that a high estrogen/low androgen ration will cause prostate cancer. That looks like what I read previously about having high estrogen in men. In addition high estrogen will cause heart problems.

It's important to know your hormone levels and make sure they are not out of balance.

juhis

Reaction score
i could log in to wikipedia right now and change that if i wanted to. i wouldnt take medical advice from that website

angryLoser

Reaction score
i could log in to wikipedia right now and change that if i wanted to. i wouldnt take medical advice from that website

i love how everyone here attempts to immediately discredit negative statements about the drugs you are putting in your body..

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
angryLoser said:

i love how everyone here attempts to immediately discredit negative statements about the drugs you are putting in your body..

Not everyone...
Its understandable why some would want to discredit negative comments though

Bertie

Reaction score
Finasteride as a preventative treatmeant for prostate cancer has been extensively studied:

Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial (PCPT): Questions and Answers

Proscar Exonerated as Trigger for High-Grade Prostate Cancer

Note also, as mentioned in the first link, that individuals with natural Type II 5AR deficency have zero incidence of prostate cancer.

In my opinion, on the basis of the available evidence, long term use of finasteride is likely to favor prostate health, not hurt it, whatever the other side effects of the drug.

juhis

Reaction score
angryLoser said:

I wasn't discrediting anything BUT wikipedia. Don't base your personal health on a website which can be edited by anyone. Are you that careless with your body???