Are White Flakes In Hair From Minoxidil Normal?

ManinBlack

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been on Rogaine for about 2 weeks now. At first it was making my hair a little sticky/greasy but now it is okay. However I noticed it has been leaving these white flakes that rain out of my hair when I rub it. Is this dandruff caused by minoxidil or just the dried minoxidil that didn't get absorbed by the scalp left behind on the hair?

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been on Rogaine for about 2 weeks now. At first it was making my hair a little sticky/greasy but now it is okay. However I noticed it has been leaving these white flakes that rain out of my hair when I rub it. Is this dandruff caused by minoxidil or just the dried minoxidil that didn't get absorbed by the scalp left behind on the hair?

Time for you to QUIT LIQUID MINOXIDIL, and GET ON FOAM.

That's because DANDRUFF is never attractive, especially on an ALBINO. It makes them look WHITER!.

ManinBlack

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Time for you to QUIT LIQUID MINOXIDIL, and GET ON FOAM.

That's because DANDRUFF is never attractive, especially on an ALBINO. It makes them look WHITER!.

I perefer the liquid though, since I feel it gets down to my scalp better than foam would. Are you sure that minoxidil is increasing dandruff and that it is not just product residue? The flakes don't bother me too much, unless they are making the treatment less effective, in which case I will switch over.

4myfuture

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Try this if your concerned about the foam getting to the scalp...Take the foam in the cap and run dip it in hot water or hold the cap under the faucet..After about 20 seconds the foam melts to liquid. Once this occurs, dab your finger tips into the luquid and apply it directly to your scalp..You get the advantages of the liquid form without the irritation..

ManinBlack

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are flakes a bad sign though, like the treatment isn't working? The liquid makes my scalp a little itchy, but not terribly so, and once it dries the itch is gone.

Zoobop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nope not a bad sign, Minoxidil simply dries out the scalp. Just be sure to massage it evenly throughout the scalp and using Nizoral shampoo will help with the flaking. It will go down over time.