Are We Really At A Peak For The Industry? Ft Pics Of Current male pattern baldness Situation

Whyallwaysme

My Regimen
Reaction score
Since noticing that my once 'mature' hairline is now receding, I've been following updates in the industry in terms of emerging treatments, (breezula- replicell- invitrohair e.t.c) I know theres always been cures 'just around the corner!' for the past 20 years but are we at a point now where these current companies are actually on to something or is it more of the same false promises, it would be really helpful if someone who's been following proposed treatments for years could comment and say if the landscape is legitimately promising compared to years gone by or more of the same empty promises.

I've just turned 19 and my receding hair is becoming hard to hide. Having recently started college it's soul destroying being in such a youthful and vain environment with the hairline of a 40 year old. I know hairloss forums are full of grieving pissed off people (I'm probably now one of them) but to have hair falling our before you've even lost your virginity is tough. Already had shockingly poor self esteem and anxiety before this and now this is the cherry on top. Hairloss is a deep psychological issue. Here are some current pics of my hair (my dad was visibly balding in his early twenties and it looks like I'm following suit) am I a NW2 already?

Do I try and fight it with minoxidil and finasteride to try and save those miniaturized hairs and hold out for promised treatments in a few years or is that just false hope? Ps. I've always had a big forehead and a U shaped hairline but it's got worse. Lengthy post I know but any response would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20190516_125452.jpg
    20190516_125452.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 227
  • 20190516_125611.jpg
    20190516_125611.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 200
  • 20190516_125642.jpg
    20190516_125642.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 197
  • 20190516_125749.jpg
    20190516_125749.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 181

otis mcdonald

My Regimen
Reaction score
Get on Finasteride today. You’re NW2 and left untreated you’ll be needing to buzz it off within 5 years imo (it’s clearly aggressive if you’re only 19). Nothing better will come out for at least 10 years. Luckily you still have decent hair so act now before it’s too late

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Get on Finasteride today. You’re NW2 and left untreated you’ll be needing to buzz it off within 5 years imo (it’s clearly aggressive if you’re only 19). Nothing better will come out for at least 10 years. Luckily you still have decent hair so act now before it’s too late

There are so many better treatments than finasteride!

itchymadscalp

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride, spironolactone, cyproterone acetate, bicalutamide, estradiol

Yeah but Spironolactone, Cyproterone, Bicalutamide, ... Estradiol ... are not drugs that men want to take, because they want to stay men and have a normal life as a man.
Antiandrogens with or with Estradiol are for desperate baldies or for transgenders. They are not better, for a 99% they are something they will never consider to take, even if they could regrowth all their hair.

We cannot promote that kind of drugs and pretend they are the absolutely cure for every men who lose their hair.

And we need better treatments than drugs that lower our androgens levels (even if I prefer those drugs ...).

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah but Spironolactone, Cyproterone, Bicalutamide, ... Estradiol ... are not drugs that men want to take, because they want to stay men and have a normal life as a man.
Antiandrogens with or with Estradiol are for desperate baldies or for transgenders. They are not better, for a 99% they are something they will never consider to take, even if they could regrowth all their hair.

We cannot promote that kind of drugs and pretend they are the absolutely cure for every men who lose their hair.

And we need better treatments than drugs that lower our androgens levels (even if I prefer those drugs ...).

However, they definitely are better than finasteride which is my point; even dutasteride is better than finasteride.

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am sure hair transplant will be remained only cure for male pattern baldness for next decade atleast. If the male pattern baldness nut was that simple to crack scientists would have cracked it long ago.

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am sure hair transplant will be remained only cure for male pattern baldness for next decade atleast. If the male pattern baldness nut was that simple to crack scientists would have cracked it long ago.

Transplants are not a cure...

Reactions: Aki

Whyallwaysme

My Regimen
Reaction score
Surely it would appear that advances in science and technology (mainly stem cells) are enabling exploration of treatment in areas otherwise impossible to access before. The induced pluripotent stem cell that many scientists are exploring to treat hairloss was discovered in 2006 after finasteride was approved so just because they couldn't treat it before doesnt mean they won't in the near future?

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
Surely it would appear that advances in science and technology (mainly stem cells) are enabling exploration of treatment in areas otherwise impossible to access before. The induced pluripotent stem cell that many scientists are exploring to treat hairloss was discovered in 2006 after finasteride was approved so just because they couldn't treat it before doesnt mean they won't in the near future?
You can't cure something if you don't know the cause. Stem cell research is promising thought but hair generation involved many cell signaling pathways and that complex biochemical processes. I think siRNA therapy to knock the genes causing the baldness or crispr to edit the genome could be viable treatments for future.

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You can't get hairs as you want where it to be by other treatment. Hair transplant works for many and hairs remain firm for life.

Transplants may remain firm for life, but it would look a mess if you started to thin out aggressively whilst the transplanted hairs are still intact.

Reactions: Aki

Whyallwaysme

My Regimen
Reaction score
Transplants may remain firm for life, but it would look a mess if you started to thin out aggressively whilst the transplanted hairs are still intact.
Most places wont transplant until the patient is around 30 I think maybe 25 at a push which is 6-11 years away for me if I can hold on! Who knows maybe there will be more viable treatment options by 2030 or I'll already be bald and content! (unlikely)