Are There Any Vitamins/minerals/supplements That We Know...

JHCL1990

Established Member
Reaction score
...CAUSE hair thinning or loss? We know anabolic and androgenic steroids, as well as some prescription drugs (e.g., accutane), can cause hair thinning/loss. However, are there any vitamins/minerals/supplements that we know cause hair loss? There was a study that concluded green tea increased DHT levels by almost 73% in mice. I'm not sure how this would translate to human. I'm also curious what happens when you mix propecia/avodart with something that is known to increase DHT and/or make male pattern baldness more aggressive. Which wins? The hair loss medication or the drug/supplement that can cause hair loss?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's poorly researched unfortunately.

Saw palmetto is very plausibly a weaker finasteride, as backed by several studies, and various anecdotes online where people even get the same side effects.

fenugreek, pumpkin seed oil, and he shon wu are alleged to be helpful as well, but we'd need rigorous and competent research to be fair.

Vitamins and minerals will only accelerate hair loss if you're deficient. It's possible that you're deficient. Many people are deficient in iron for example.

Some people take biotin for hair loss but there's no science there.

JHCL1990

Established Member
Reaction score
It's poorly researched unfortunately.

Saw palmetto is very plausibly a weaker finasteride, as backed by several studies, and various anecdotes online where people even get the same side effects.

fenugreek, pumpkin seed oil, and he shon wu are alleged to be helpful as well, but we'd need rigorous and competent research to be fair.

Vitamins and minerals will only accelerate hair loss if you're deficient. It's possible that you're deficient. Many people are deficient in iron for example.

Some people take biotin for hair loss but there's no science there.

Good input!

Mystory

My Regimen
Reaction score
Pumpkin seed oil has a few study's showing improvement in hair count, as well as saw palmetto. Flaxseed oil has been shown to work well with pumpkin seed oil. Another natural approach is derma rolling, study's have shown that 1.5mm used once a week can promote hair growth due to increasing blood flow in the scalp. Derma rollers can be used in conjunction with topical's such as minoxidil, 0.25mm used every other day.