Are there any LONG term .5mg finasteride users here?

jimbran

Reaction score
Hey all,
I was wondering if there are any others here who are on 0.5mg per day of finasteride; and have been taking 0.5mg for years now?
I've been on .5mg per day and although its still early; I am contemplating just taking a 1mg pill per day.
What do you think?

RhinestoneHLT

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I was wondering if there are any others here who are on 0.5mg per day of finasteride; and have been taking 0.5mg for years now?
I've been on .5mg per day and although its still early; I am contemplating just taking a 1mg pill per day.
What do you think?

Just take the 1mg that Merck chose after testing.

if you get bad sides, you probably shouldn't take the drug at any dose.

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bad sides = erectile problems. Low Libido. Or Brain Fog/anxiety/depression.

Keep in mind, thinking about side effects may lead to side effects. Something known as "The nocebo effect"

shookwun

Reaction score
Long term effects include: maintaining a full head of hair, and not becoming involuntarily celibate.

Shookwun approved

Wave

Established Member
Reaction score
Can I ask in your case, what made you continue with 0.5 - 0.7mg; as opposed to taking just 1mg?

It really is about taking 0.73 mg. A little too below and it won't work at all, and a little too much and your hair will start falling out in droves.

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Taking too much wont make your hair fall out. But it can lead to the aforementioned side effects. creatinemonster is taking .5 probably due to side effects or as a precaution. Many dudes have gone from 1mg to 0.5 and their side effects while keeping the same hair benefits.

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
There's an experienced finasteride-User here who's goes by the name of g.i joey, he's played with many different doses and I think 0.5 mg has worked best for him with results. He got side effects but handled them quite well. If I remember correctly, he goes on and off Finasteride, but takes just enough to keep his hair maintained.

I'm a 0.5 mg dutasteride-User, and has been a good experience with the drug. But of course, Dutasteride comes in 0.5 mg doses.

LawOfThelema

Experienced Member
Reaction score
whatd be the difference? the finasteride dose response curve is pretty flat from like 0.1 to 10 miligrams.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
whatd be the difference? the finasteride dose response curve is pretty flat from like 0.1 to 10 miligrams.

Do you have a source for that? That's a pretty drastic dosage difference.

g.i joey

Reaction score
There's an experienced finasteride-User here who's goes by the name of g.i joey, he's played with many different doses and I think 0.5 mg has worked best for him with results. He got side effects but handled them quite well. If I remember correctly, he goes on and off Finasteride, but takes just enough to keep his hair maintained.

I'm a 0.5 mg dutasteride-User, and has been a good experience with the drug. But of course, Dutasteride comes in 0.5 mg doses.

yup, anything thats .5 and over will work for someone with mild to aggressive hair loss. Im a diffuse thinner and .25 didnt really help me much, i actually lost hair while taking .25. I do believe the doses are subjective to the way our body tolerates them though.

This time around im taking .75-1mg 3-5 days a week, no sides to report of yet and im 1 week away from being 2 months in. it might be nocebo but DIM and l-arginine supplements i believe are the reason why i havent experienced any side effects at all this time around. Im not a long term user because ive only been using finasteride on and off for a little over a year but i definitely know what helps and what doesnt. I still got scalp inflammation with .25, as soon as i up it to .5 literally all my scalp inflammation gets suppressed within a day or 2 of being on the higher dose.

And to anyone who has doubts about what i say this is all from my experience, but just know that i literally did everything possible to take the lowest dose possible, but it just isnt enough in my case, im happy i experimented with higher doses because i finally feel like im doing something productive for my hair.

shyyguy123

Reaction score
I've been on .25mg a day for 15 months now. Maintained in all areas and thickened up slightly on my crown. Different doses work differently on everybody.

g.i joey

Reaction score
shyguy, would you say you had aggressive hairloss, also how old are you. I seen a 40 year old man do amazing with .25mg/day and minoxidil 2x a day, butit wasnt working out for me when i tried the same dose of finasteride.

shyyguy123

Reaction score
I'm 29, I started to notice my hair loss around 2 years ago at 27. But in reality it had probably started to go around 24-25ish. You just don't notice until there's a big density difference. So maybe not SUPER aggressive but I also wouldn't categorize losing hair in your mid 20's as mild either.

I'm not on min, just .25mg finasteride and nizoral/piroctone olamine. I've actually been on finasteride for 16 months now, not 15 my bad. The first 6 months I wasn't even taking it every day and was on an EOD schedule.

You just never know what dosage is going to work on somebody until they actually try it. I'm hoping to get 2-3 years on .25mg and then go up to .5 and try to get another 2-3 years out of that before moving up to 1/1.25mg. I guess it's my own personal theory as to how to prolong the effectiveness of finasteride. May work, may not we shall see.

g.i joey

Reaction score
if its working for you then why not, i personally visually lost ground when i tried .25 out for a bit, i was also getting scalp itch and inflammation so i knew for a fact it wasnt a strong enough dose. My hairloss probably started at 18 but only became a concern to me at 21, im now 23 and its def nw2- damn near nw3, but its been this way since about 8 months ago so i know the meds were doing something. Actually, i lost the most ground in december of this year when i tried the .25 i guess thats why im so set on .25 not being enough.

Now with my 1mg 3-5x a week i have no scalp itch or inflammation :)

- - - Updated - - -

i have to admit that my hair loss is quite aggressive, hence why the lower doses just wouldnt cut it for me.