Are there any chemicals in shampoos to avoid?

JohnC43

Established Member
Reaction score
Chemicals that are damaging to hair? I just want to make sure that I am not assisting the process.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
I have heard people say SLS (sodium laureth sulfate) is a small factor in hair loss and is in most shampoos. It is used as a foaming agent. I am not sure I buy into it but that is what is said.

Cassin

Reaction score
PropeciaJunkie said:
I have heard people say SLS (sodium laureth sulfate) is a small factor in hair loss and is in most shampoos. It is used as a foaming agent. I am not sure I buy into it but that is what is said.

Me either....

But if you feel the need Jason's thin to thick is SLS free.

Withnail

Established Member
Reaction score
PropeciaJunkie said:
I think it's sodium LAURYL sulfate that supposed to be a little harsh and sodium LAURETH sulfate is less so.

I remember looking in to this a few years ago and coming to the conclusion it's really not worth worrying about.

It's just a little bit of detergent.

Cassin

Reaction score
Withnail said:
PropeciaJunkie said:
I think it's sodium LAURYL sulfate that supposed to be a little harsh and sodium LAURETH sulfate is less so.

I remember looking in to this a few years ago and coming to the conclusion it's really not worth worrying about.

It's just a little bit of detergent.

Its both...

No Cocamide DEA, No Lauryl/Laureth Sulfates.

Hammer87

Established Member
Reaction score
SLS and SLES are considered bad and cheap additions to shampoos - Linked to scalp irritation which in turn is bad for the hair follicle.

Not sure how much weight that holds. - Either way, if you are worried, Revita is SLS and SLES free, or just go for an organic shampoo

Petchsky

Reaction score
I prefer SLS free shampoos, i find it's a bit harsh on my scalp, but does not cause any real problems

Hammer87

Established Member
Reaction score
Menthol? As in mint? Can't see that having an effect one way or another.

Unless you meant methanol - I don't think alcohol's bad, lots of people use it as a carrier when they made their topicals I think and it's in Alpecin shampoo.