Are spray on concealers bad for your scalp?

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
I've heard differing things about this. Do products like prothick or fullmore clog pores and prevent new hair growth?
I'm considering getting one of these and would like to know if it's a good idea or not.

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
Nobody has advice?
I could always try different concealers to see which ones work best for me, but when it comes to prothick I'm more concerned with any possible detrimental effects. I'm trying to grow hair back, not just conceal it. That's why it's important for me to know which products for concealing baldness are safe to use.

s.a.f

Reaction score
I doubt that any are bad enough for your hair to consider totally avoiding them. Certainly no worse than any other styling products like gel or hairspray.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
Yeah I have wondered the same thing, especially if you leave in on your hair overnight or apply treatments like minoxidil on your scalp after you already have concealers on your hair. Not sure how this works, but I have noticed it does seem to be a slightly more of an irritant if you to the method I just mentioned.

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a big concern. If I'd given up on getting some real hair back, then it wouldn't be such an issue. I'm thinking of getting a can of Prothick, but don't want to do anything to sabotage my chances of getting actual regrowth. Not to mention that in this current economy I don't want to waste even one dime on something I can't use. I'm using Toppik now and will be getting another bottle of either it or one of the other shake on fibers, plus I'll be trying out dermatch. Neither of those are supposed to impede new hair growth or be tough on the scalp. I don't know aboout Prothick or the spray on concealers, though. I don't want to clog pores or do anything to damage my scalp. I thought that surely someone on this board would know if Prothick does that.

IBM

Reaction score
I thought Toppik was spray. I wonder if concealers damage hair. I'm interested for filling my hairline.

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
So nobody can tell me if products like prothick and fullmore are detrimental to your scalp or prevent new hair growth?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Like I said I very much doubt it, the root cause of m.p.b happens below the skin. You've either got it or you have'nt (DHT resistance) no one ever went bald from using ordinary hair products and thats what these are they're like cosmetics for the hair.

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
I got prothik the other day and like the way it works, but the color is way off from what I wanted. The color I got was medium brown, but it couldn't get any darker without being black. The next time I'll get light brown and see if that works better. I had heard the fumes from it were hard to take and that it's very messy, but I've not experienced that.

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
Prothik is good stuff, but you need to be careful about what color you get. My hair is reddish brown, so I selected the medium brown prothick the first time I got it. It was more like a dark brown. So the next time I went a shade lighter and got light brown. It's almost blond. So in essence, their medium brown is actually dark brown, their light brown is close to blond, and there's a big difference between them. If they ever come out with a true medium brown, I'll be a happy camper.

threats77

Established Member
Reaction score
can you take a before and after picture? ive never seen results from people on a forum..just from the website and it looks shady

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
Sure.
I'll post them tomorrow.
It does seem to work pretty well, though.
My hairline is still further back than I'd like it to be, but at least there's no bald strip down the middle.

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
Here are some before and after pics.

Before prothik and toppik
023-2.jpg

And after.
012-6.jpg

Before...
032.jpg

After...
041.jpg