Are spironolactone and minoxidil enough?

Packers

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think using the 5% spironolactone Cream and 5% minoxidil will be enough to halt hairloss? I really don't want to use Propecia and this seems like my best bet...

jeffsss

Reaction score
Packers said:
Do you guys think using the 5% spironolactone Cream and 5% minoxidil will be enough to halt hairloss? I really don't want to use Propecia and this seems like my best bet...

It's enough for some people.. but if you really want to do something about DHT you should reconsider propeica.

it's a helluva lot easier to pop a pill everyday then put a mess all over your dome.

Britannia

Reaction score
Packers it is impossible for us to answer that. Only time can tell. You would certainely have a better chance with Propecia though.

Packers

Established Member
Reaction score
I understand Propecia is the better/best option. I guess what I'm asking is what's the very next best thing to Propecia?

exstatic

Reaction score
packers, I once asked a similar question.. but the only answer you ever get here is 'why arent you on propecia? you have to be on propecia to see results, nothing else works..'..

From the facts.. spironolactone and minoxidil with nizoral, should be enough to help at least maintain what you have, with minoxidil helping out on growth.. although they say spironolactone isnt as effective as propecia, I think it's certainly better than nothing!

I am in the same boat as you, i've been taking minoxidil for over 6 weeks now, and am starting to see results after a small shed, and now im starting to apply spironolactone.. so hopefully that will help. Ive also been taking Multi V's and using Nizoral every second day.. I also use some natural hair thickening shampoo/conditioner which seems to help..

Good Luck

Packers

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments exstatic. I hear you on the Propecia thing. Good luck with your regimen.

mogadon

Established Member
Reaction score
yes exstatic, i remember you asking that, i agree it comes quite annoying, especially when someone puts it in the OTHER hairloss treatments, i think people do it with the best intentions though, but it would be nice if people just answered the question for once. without mentioning the 'P' word

packers, i would use spironolactone and maybe revovigen aswel, they both compliment each other nicely, you only have to use revovigen at night, so even though it can be messy, it doesnt matter, as no one is to worried about what your hair looks like when your asleep

Packers

Established Member
Reaction score
The thing is I've used Revivogen already for 9 months. I can't tell if it slowed my hairloss down though because I had my hair buzzed the entire time. I decided to stop using it because it ran out and because it was leaving a little bit of an orange film on my scalp.

mogadon

Established Member
Reaction score
did you keep it in the fridge? ok mate if you have used and didnt get on with it thats fair enough, i only mention it because the moderator uses spironolactone and revovigen, and says they are the next best thing and work well together,and have maintaned his hairline for the last six years,but if you didnt get on with it, in that case just keep with the spironolactone, i have just ordered my revovigen, so i dont no how messy/effective it is, so i might come to the same conclusion as yourself.

freudling

Reaction score
Way too many contentious claims. Yes, propecia is effective. How much more effective than spironolactone 5% nobody can say. Outside of testimonials, we don't have much research on it. But there are studies out there and the efficacy in terms of hair growth is almost identical to some propecia studies. Long-term stats we have to wait for.

So, to answer your question, people love pushing propecia, but if you only have small areas to apply hairloss topicals too and you are going to include at least minoxidil, spironolactone and copper peptides with Nizoral, you are combating it with an effective regime. My copper peptides have Saw Palmetto in them. So, my all topical regime stimulates growth (minoxidil), competes for DHT receptor sites on the hair follicle (spironolactone), reduces the formation of DHT via inhibiting 5-alpha reductase (Nizoral and Copper Peptides) and reduces inflammation. Propecia will not compete for receptor sites on the follicle. So, this is one angle that could prove very effective. On paper is should work as good as a minoxidil/propecia regime. The research suggests this as well.

Even more powerful, I have added Xandrox 5% at night with Retonic Acid and Azelaic acid. The latter is supposed to be a free radical scavenger and to also inhibit DHT formation. Retonic Acid aids minoxidil in terms of diffusing into the skin.

As can be seen, I have thrown a battery of substances at my hair and I feel confident that this will be effective, as effective as any other regime out there, save for some very shifty experimental ones. However, those are not an option for safety reasons.

If you feel comfortable reduces DHT systemically, go for it. Personally, I felt that my body changed (both physically and mentally) for the worse. I was on Propecia on and off for 2.5 years. I quit 8 months ago and will probably never use it again, unless something drastic happens with my hair. DHT does have a purpose in the body, namely, it helps with tissue regulation, among others. Because of my experience, I am off propecia as I do not want to offset my bodies balance.

mogadon

Established Member
Reaction score
i agree, you have to ask why did nature give us dht, its a hormone that is part of being a man, people that have taken dht based hormones, like bodybuilders, proviron for example, report a massive increase in sex drive, a more cut defined body,decrease in body fat, a great sense of well being,and we are actually inhibiting that,i was not comfortable with that.

im hoping in future studies that spironolactone turns out to be as effective as finasteride, or hopefully more topical anti-androgens are studied and developed

Packers

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree with both of you guys. I'm going to go with the 5% because I have buzzed hair right now and it seems like the 5% is the much better option. Is it possible to still use the 5% if I grow out my hair though?

freudling

Reaction score
Packers and the like:

Good. I think you have the right idea. My hair is fully grown out and I use spironolactone creme 5%. You just have to part your hair and smear it on.

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Packers said:

Your dilemma is quite understandable. The people who tell you that finasteride is your only, or even best option, and that you must use an "internal DHT inhibitor" (whatever that means), do not have any idea what they're talking about. It is certainly the most *studied* of the options you have for reducing follicular androgen activity, but not necessarily the most effective. And it certainly is not your best option if you want to avoid feminizing drugs.

If you want a better understanding of topical spironolactone, I recommend reading some articles from the following list (a few will be difficult to get and/or in a language other than English, but are included nonetheless):

• Akamatsu, H., C. C. Zouboulis, et al. (1993). "Spironolactone Directly Inhibits Proliferation of Cultured Human Facial Sebocytes and Acts Antagonistically to Testosterone and 5 alpha-Dihydrotestosterone In Vitro." Journal of Investigative Dermatology 100(5): 660-662.
    [/*:m:b0361]
  • Berardesca, E., P. Gabba, et al. (1987). "Topical Treatment Of Acne Using Substances With Hormonal Activity." Chronica Dermatologica 18(SUPPL. 14): 649-654.
  • Berardesca, E., P. Gabba, et al. (1988). "Topical spironolactone inhibits dihydrotestosterone receptors in human sebaceous glands: an autoradiographic study in subjects with acne vulgaris." International Journal of Tissue Reactions 10(2): 115-9.
  • Califano, L., S. Cannavo, et al. (1990). "Experience in the therapy of acne with topical administration of spironolactone as an antiandrogen." Clinica Terapeutica 135(3): 193-9.
  • Chen, W., D. Thiboutot, et al. (2002). "Cutaneous Androgen Metabolism: Basic Research and Clinical Perspectives." Journal of Investigative Dermatology 119(5): 992-1007.
  • Dill-Muller, D. and H. Zaun (1997). "Topical treatment of androgenetic alopecia with spironolactone." Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology 9(Supplement 1): S31.
  • Fernandez-Vozmediano, J. M., G. Gil-Tocados, et al. (1994). "Contact dermatitis due to topical spironolactone." Contact Dermatitis 30(2): 118-119.
  • Hennessey, J. V., A. R. Glass, et al. (1986). "Comparative antiandrogenic potency of spironolactone and cimetidine: assessment by the chicken cockscomb topical bioassay." Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine 182(4): 443-7.
  • Luderschmidt, C., F. Bidlingmaier, et al. (1982). "Inhibition of Sebaceous Gland Activity by Spironolactone in Syrian Hamster." Journal of Investigative Dermatology 78(3): 253-255.
  • Massone, L., A. Pestarino, et al. (1987). "Topical Treatment Of Acne With Spironolactone." Clinica Terapeutica 123(4): 271-273.
  • Matias, J. R., V. L. Malloy, et al. (1988). "Synergistic antiandrogenic effects of topical combinations of 5 alpha-reductase and androgen receptor inhibitors in the hamster sebaceous glands." Journal of Investigative Dermatology 91(5): 429-33.
  • Messina, M., C. Manieri, et al. (1990). "Oral and topical spironolactone therapies in skin androgenization." Panminerva Medica 32(2): 49-55.
  • Noto, G., G. Pravata, et al. (1991). "Topical canrenoic acid. Quantification of the antiandrogenic activity in the hamster flank organ." International Journal of Dermatology 30(11): 810-3.
  • Prantera, M., A. Pizzino, et al. (1988). "[Topical antiandrogen therapy in seborrheic blepharitis]." Giornale Italiano di Dermatologia e Venereologia 123(11): 581-2.
  • Raynal, S., J. L. Grossiord, et al. (1993). "A topical W/O/W multiple emulsion containing several active substances: Formulation, characterization and study of release." Journal of Controlled Release 26(2): 129-140.
  • Rey, F. O., C. Valterio, et al. (1988). "Lack of endocrine systemic side effects after topical application of spironolactone in man." Journal of Endocrinological Investigation 11(4): 273-8.
  • Seki, T., T. Toyomoto, et al. (1995). "Effects of topically applied spironolactone on androgen stimulated sebaceous glands in the hamster pinna." Journal of Dermatology 22(4): 233-7.
  • Tomidei, M. and G. Strani (1987). "Spironolactone administered topically in the treatment of acne." Clinica Terapeutica 122(2): 99-105.
  • Walton, S., W. J. Cunliffe, et al. (1986). "Lack of effect of topical spironolactone on sebum excretion." British Journal of Dermatology 114(2): 261-4.
  • Walton, S., D. P. Lookingbill, et al. (1985). "Effect Of Topical Spironolactone On Sebum Excretion." Journal of Investigative Dermatology 84(5): 439.
  • Weissmann, A., J. Bowden, et al. (1985). "Antiandrogenic effects of topically applied spironolactone on the hamster flank organ." Archives of Dermatology 121(1): 57-62.
  • Wester, R. C. and H. I. Maibach (1990). In-Vitro Testing Of Topical Pharmaceutical Formulations. Osborne, D. W. And A. H. Amann: 213-220.
  • Yamamoto, A. and M. Ito (1996). "Topical spironolactone reduces sebum secretion rates in young adults." Journal of Dermatology 23(4): 243-246.
  • Zhou Zhanchao, Z. J. and W. Xu (1997). "Study on the suppressive action of preparations composed of ofloxacin, spironolactone and Tanshinone on the Syrian hamster flank organ." Zhonghua Pifuke Zazhi 30(3): 182-184.[/*:m:b0361]

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Packers said:
The thing is I've used Revivogen already for 9 months. I can't tell if it slowed my hairloss down though because I had my hair buzzed the entire time. I decided to stop using it because it ran out and because it was leaving a little bit of an orange film on my scalp.

Something you might consider is the use of a low concentration topical finasteride preparation to complement the topical spironolactone, as they may work synergistically. Vehicle is a critical consideration. See my recent post on the subject.

clau

Reaction score
Dave001 said:
Packers said:

Something you might consider is the use of a low concentration topical finasteride preparation to complement the topical spironolactone, as they may work synergistically. Vehicle is a critical consideration. See my recent post on the subject.

What about adding finas powder in a reasonable concentration to 5% Dr.Lee's spironolactone ?

thx
clau

Old Baldy

Reaction score
clau said:
Dave001 said:
Packers said:

What about adding finas powder in a reasonable concentration to 5% Dr.Lee's spironolactone ?

thx

clau

Bump. Dave: What do you think the percentage of finasteride. should be?

clau

Reaction score
Old Baldy said:
clau said:
Dave001 said:
Packers said:

thx

clau

Bump. Dave: What do you think the percentage of finasteride. should be?

we could find some clues here:
http://hairsite2.com/waseda/antiandrocream/main.htm

on the other hand, they recommend to use 30mg finasteride powder (6 pills) for 40ml lotion or cream (emu/horse oil)

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.! Looks like we should use 0.075 percent.

Thanks again!

(I edited the percentage from 0.75 percent to the CORRECT amount, which is, 0.075 percent!!)

clau

Reaction score
Old Baldy said:
Thanks for the info.! Looks like we should use 0.75 percent.

Thanks again!

according to their suggestion, 30mg finas (6 pills of proscar) for 40ml of their topical cream is equivalent to 45 mg finas (9 pills of proscar) for the whole 60 ml of 5% Lee's spironolactone ( 2 oz.)

do you agree?