Are side effects from finasteride REALLY that rare? Everyone seems to have them...

Ebony

Reaction score
I keep hearing how "low" the percentage is for people to get side effects from finasteride, mostly from people just repeating what their doctors told them. Well, I am not sure where this comes from, because if it was really that rare of a risk you wouldn't see it happening over and over again, to virtually everyone who gets on finasteride, even more so for those who are on it for the long term. From everything that I have read, I'd wager there is a 95% chance you'll end up with some sexual side effects, be they minor or major. There are some friends who say that everyone they know is on finasteride say it affected their sex life.

Where are those people who haven't gotten sides? You see a couple of them once every blue moon, in a thread where everyone else admits they saw a decrease in libido or impotency. What is the deal with this constant lying that it's rare? As someone who wants to get on finasteride, I'm having a hard time taking these "99% chance you'll be fine" comments.

br1

Reaction score
I get rare morning woods. Everything else is fine. If you consider that a side effect.. I don't, really..

M.G

Established Member
Reaction score
No side effects so far.

There are so many studies confirming the same thing.

But sure, I guess the Internet where all the failures will of course stack up and cry out is more reliable.

Stop looking for excuses for not hopping on finasteride.

Everyday without finasteride is another balder day.

xetudor

Established Member
Reaction score
Just read the clinical studies. I have no idea where you get your numbers but they are definitely bull****. You don't survey forums for health related things. You read that someone died crossing the street will you fear going outside? It doesn't make sense. Just look at official sources, experts have invested decades into this.

Ebony

Reaction score
Just read the clinical studies. I have no idea where you get your numbers but they are definitely bull****. You don't survey forums for health related things. You read that someone died crossing the street will you fear going outside? It doesn't make sense. Just look at official sources, experts have invested decades into this.

But where are these 99% of men who aren't getting sides and are getting thriving results in their hair? If the results were that certain then you'd expect to get a quick, confident answer to "how to stop hair loss", but instead you're greeted with a bunch of people who have suffered the side effects of finasteride, a bunch of clickbait articles, and not ONE clear answer that doesn't involve the possibility of destroying another part of your life, be it mental or sexual. To get on finasteride eventually comes to sound the same as accepting the sides that will come with it.

g.i joey

Reaction score
Those men are out living their life and not on here worrying about more hair loss. I experienced minor sides on finasteride but I know for a fact some people don't get sides and if they do they are so minute that it doesn't effect them

Shubham23

Reaction score
I am on topical finasteride and I have like no side effects at all. I still feel normal and no change in anything. Be it morning woods.. :p

diehunnen123

Banned
Reaction score
No side effects so far.

There are so many studies confirming the same thing.

But sure, I guess the Internet where all the failures will of course stack up and cry out is more reliable.

Stop looking for excuses for not hopping on finasteride.

Everyday without finasteride is another balder day.

so true, you rarely see people on the internet talking about their sucess, its mostly people that have had some problems with the drug

Ebony

Reaction score
Those men are out living their life and not on here worrying about more hair loss. I experienced minor sides on finasteride but I know for a fact some people don't get sides and if they do they are so minute that it doesn't effect them

Yeah that's the answer I expected, because that's what people here like to say, but there's no proof of that whatsoever. It's a mere baseless assumption, the truth is there is no one place you hear about these many success stories. Personally, I would think that if finasteride offered that great of a result you'd often see these success stories as often, if not far more often, than the sides.

You'd see people answer confidently to inquiries about newcomers who are starting to lose hair. Instead? Sides, shedding, depression, and more sides. You are talking for an invisible lot. The only thing that's rare is the amount of people who say they've had a good run on finasteride

g.i joey

Reaction score
There's 1000000 prescription filled for propecia name brand. Do you really think these stories account for every propecia user out there. Take a restaurant for example. If I'm satisfied with the service would I go online to complain? No. But if I was dissatisfied I'd make sure to be heard.

br1

Reaction score
I was one of the happy ones.. Kept my hair intact for 13 yrs. Never visited any hair loss forum.. What for? I wasn't losing any hair! I was just living my life.

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was one of the happy ones.. Kept my hair intact for 13 yrs. Never visited any hair loss forum.. What for? I wasn't losing any hair! I was just living my life.

Would you say for the 13 years you have been on finasteride you hair basically hasn't changed?

br1

Reaction score
Would you say for the 13 years you have been on finasteride you hair basically hasn't changed?

That's about right. I started when I was 23 / 24.. only change was when I decided to quit for a while (2009), then I lost a lot.. Resumed, and after 7 yrs I had regrew what I lost (including temples). Just had a 4month break, and this time I lost more.. hairline has receded too and hair thinned all over.. Not sure if I will grow it back this time.. :(

Ebony

Reaction score
That's about right. I started when I was 23 / 24.. only change was when I decided to quit for a while (2009), then I lost a lot.. Resumed, and after 7 yrs I had regrew what I lost (including temples). Just had a 4month break, and this time I lost more.. hairline has receded too and hair thinned all over.. Not sure if I will grow it back this time.. :(

That's my main concern. That once you take it and it appears to work for a couple of years, that you won't be able to wean off it without shedding pretty much everything you gained. Problem is several develop sides after taking it for so long, that they didn't when taking it early. So it's like a trap, you keep using it even if you develop sides, or you drop it and lose your hair, leaving it probably worst than how it used to be.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
my only side effect from finasteride - full erections at all hours of the night and rapid, RAPID hair loss. hahaha... :freaked:

myhairbegone

Established Member
Reaction score
But where are these 99% of men who aren't getting sides and are getting thriving results in their hair? If the results were that certain then you'd expect to get a quick, confident answer to "how to stop hair loss", but instead you're greeted with a bunch of people who have suffered the side effects of finasteride, a bunch of clickbait articles, and not ONE clear answer that doesn't involve the possibility of destroying another part of your life, be it mental or sexual. To get on finasteride eventually comes to sound the same as accepting the sides that will come with it.

Dude.

It's the internet, its full of clickbaity **** and trolls, no exception for finasteride....

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not to scare anybody, they are rare, it's true. But there were also men who dropped out of the study
due to side effects. However, the side effects went away after they dropped out. This was the original
study done by Merk, in the 1990s.

and... we all trust huge pharma companies to give us completely honest information and act in an ethical manner. :protest: