Are president's and governor's too powerful?

Reaction score
With their 2/3 veto, almost nothing can pass without their signature. Hopefully they are centrists.
They appoint many judges and cabinet members.
They get to interpret and execute the law. Sometimes they can really reach when interpreting the law.

Since they have so much power with the executive orders and appointments, I think the veto should only apply to 3/5 or less.

People say laws should be difficult to pass, which is why 2/3 of both houses is good. But what if you want to overturn a bad law? You need 2/3 of both houses. 51% being able to change laws actually works to bring us closer to the center with each new law proposed that is passed or shot down.

One person can't represent the will of everyone, and requires so much money to win the race. I propose removing the presidential veto, and governor vetos. They should just administer and appoint.

lickawrist

Established Member
Reaction score
"People say laws should be difficult to pass, which is why 2/3 of both houses is good. But what if you want to overturn a bad law? You need 2/3 of both houses. 51% being able to change laws actually works to bring us closer to the center with each new law proposed that is passed or shot down."

I agree, but to a certain degree. When you consider a democratic nation with over well a hundred million independent ideas of what "good" and "bad" laws are, making it easier to remove "bad laws" makes it easier to remove other laws. Essentially, you would need some sort of filter to determine what a good or bad law is and this only complicates things further. As much as I'd like to admit that the US is a technologically advanced nation, a significant percentage of the population are idiots. Don't believe me? Take the presidential candidates as a small sample. Purely anecdotal, but I'm sure you've met plenty of stupid people in your lifetime. Consequently, we give more power to stupid people by allowing this; although I do agree that the higher-ups do have too much power in other regards-ahem-Iraq war-ahem. Just my .02.

Reaction score
The first thing my state legislature does each meeting is have a prayer, then say the pledge of allegiance. I read that in their schedule and shook my head. I think Congress does that too.