Are people with thin hair more likely to go bald?

corv

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Here goes my first post...

I have always had very very thin hair and I have been wondering if this increases my chances of going bald?

Further - my hairline has somewhat of a natural U shape. I think I have had it most of my life. If I tie my hair back there is a definate indentation on either side of my head. If I let me hair down my fringe goes down to my eye brows in a uniform way.

My father went bald when he was 36. Apparently he was told it was due to a vitman A deficiancy - personally I think this is a load of crap as I have not been able to find any information supporting his doctors claim. Oddly enough none of his 6 brothers went bald so I guess he lucked out.

I guess I've only started to look into baldness since I began losing 2 or 3 hairs in the shower and also maybe another 2-3 during the day. However recently blood tests indicate that I have abnormal TSH levels and borderline hypothyroidism which may explain why im losing eye brow hair and some scalp hair.

Is there anything I can do to monitor the situation or do I just wait and see based on the information I have provided?

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
2-3 hairs! C'mon that is nothing. Don't sweat it unless you have noticeable thinning beyond your current situation and the hairs that you are shedding appear tapered at the end or extremely thin and short. It is normal to loose 100+ hairs each day which then start growing back within 3 months.

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I know a guy at work who has really thin hair. The douche looks like frickin Tom Cruise, too, and he's way smart- won the gene pool lottery, pretty much. Anyway, he's in his late 40s, and he isn't losing his hair. It's so gd thin that he can't do anything with it except let it all drape down.

On the other hand, I have really thick hair, perhaps thanks to the regimen of 1.25mg finasteride and rogaine 1x/day. But the thing is, even though each hair is thick, my hair isn't that dense. There is a lot of skin between the root of each follicle, and all over my head, not just the top/scalp. Also, I only have one hair growing out of each skin pore, whereas I've seen many photos where more than one hair grows out a single skin pore. So everybody is different.

Short answer is, thin hair doesn't mean your going to lose it.

mon

Established Member
Reaction score
elguapo said:
I know a guy at work who has really thin hair. The douche looks like frickin Tom Cruise, too, and he's way smart- won the gene pool lottery, pretty much. Anyway, he's in his late 40s, and he isn't losing his hair. It's so gd thin that he can't do anything with it except let it all drape down.

On the other hand, I have really thick hair, perhaps thanks to the regimen of 1.25mg finasteride and rogaine 1x/day. But the thing is, even though each hair is thick, my hair isn't that dense. There is a lot of skin between the root of each follicle, and all over my head, not just the top/scalp. Also, I only have one hair growing out of each skin pore, whereas I've seen many photos where more than one hair grows out a single skin pore. So everybody is different.

Short answer is, thin hair doesn't mean your going to lose it.

I don't think thin hair will necessarilly lead to earlier balding, but when balding does start it looks worse for it.

arjun17

Reaction score
NO

My dear man, look at it this way. The amount of hair u start out with has ABSOLUTELY no relationship to the amount you end up with. It is possible to have fine hair (or thin hair, or a combination of the two) at age 17, and nearly the same at age 70. Its also possible to have hair as thick as a jungle at age 17, and be as bald as a baby's bottom before 70. But yes, if you have naturally fine hair and male pattern baldness hits you, it'll look worse than a person with thick hair who starts going bald. (bcoz you don't have as much hair to lose as the latter)And remember, male pattern baldness can sometimes hit with such alarming speed that people with extremely thick hair lose all of it within 5 years or less.
Cheers,
Arjun

northeastguy

Reaction score
Hi I'm about to be 21. Personally I've always had thick hair, and am on my way to being bald before 22. I've lost the majority of mine (diffuse thinning but still) within the course of about 2 years. By 3 years it will be gone, unless I find a miracle.