are hairtransplants really worth it? the cons for me outweigh the pros.

Doctor Danger

Reaction score
hi there, i'm a 26 year old newly graduated doctor of medicine. and in med school i wasn't taught anything on cosmetic surgery such as hair transplants but i have done allot of research about the procedure over the last couple of years and in my eyes hair transplants may just end up making you even more upset. i've seen pictures of allot of people who've had hair transplants and even 1 year post op. They still look like there balding, would you be content with this after spending thousands of euros,dollars or GBPs on surgery which you hoped would restore some aspect of you're hairline, i personally wouldn't. And for those people who experience and deal with high levels of stress wouldn't some of the transplanted hair fall right back off. i'm a NW5 btw and i was thinking of the hair transplant procedure and the cons for me outweigh the pros, i guess if i was lucky my hair would go back to the way it looked 2 or 3 years ago when i was a NW2/3 but would i really be satisfied by that? and moreover i'm in a profession where there is high levels of stress and i could imagine the transplanted hair dropping off my bald scalp. I'm sure many people on this board don't deal with the same kind of stress as I do, but sooner or later you'll encounter it then what?
A sucessful hair transplant depends on the quality of donor hair and unfortunately for me my hair is fading on the sides and on the back near the neck area as well, so i guess a hair transplant is completely out of the question. allot of people might watch a few youtube videos and see guys gaining back a full head of hair but those people are probably on the higher end of the very successful 5-10%.
I suppose i'll have to wait around for some kind of miracle cure (not that i'm holding my breath lol).

Doctor Danger

Reaction score
Why are there so much people saying that their donor area is thinning as hell? I observe a lot of NW5-6 on the street and they rarely have this thinning donor problem.

I think you just have a deficiency or it could be a side-effect from medication and that it must be the case for a lot of "donor thinners". You should look into that.

My father's donor area started to think only a few years ago at the age of 51 (while he was a NW5 by the age of 24), a few months after he got on some heavy medications to treat his heart disease.

Top surgeons like ******** in Brussels think it should not happen to a healthy male, that's why he gives MSM and Biotin to his patients who have thin donors.

Joe Tillman, who was a guy who went from NW6 to a NW2 and one of the mentors in hair transplantation often mentioned he had a below average donor zone.

If you're interested, look at my FUE hair transplant topic in my signature. I was a 24 year old NW5 with a below average donor.

i'm sure there are people out there who are happy after hair transplants, but imo for me i really don't think its worth it. having to wait 12 months post op and looking in the mirror every morning to see if there are new sprouts of hair is something i did when i was on regular finasteride and rogaine, i hope to put those days well and truly behind me, i'd be seriously pissed off if after 1 year following a hair transplant the results were below my expectations, that's 2000 euros (at the minimum) gone.
and look at guys like wayne rooney his hair transplant cost in excess of 30,000 GBP and several months after people noticed his hair growing back it dropped back off. seriously the cons for getting a hair transplant outweigh the pros. Going bald at a young age is ****ed up, lots of guys including myself went through it but burning away hard earned money makes that pain even worse.

Mikazz

Established Member
Reaction score
A good diet may compensate for your stress. It is highly underestimated in my opinion.

I also take around 20-25 capsules a day (of well researched vitamins, antioxidant and supplements[mostly naturals]) and I never felt so great before despite being in a very stressful environnement (tight deadlines, a lot of responsibilities).

azuri

Established Member
Reaction score
hi there, i'm a 26 year old newly graduated doctor of medicine. and in med school i wasn't taught anything on cosmetic surgery such as hair transplants but i have done allot of research about the procedure over the last couple of years and in my eyes hair transplants may just end up making you even more upset. i've seen pictures of allot of people who've had hair transplants and even 1 year post op. They still look like there balding, would you be content with this after spending thousands of euros,dollars or GBPs on surgery which you hoped would restore some aspect of you're hairline, i personally wouldn't. And for those people who experience and deal with high levels of stress wouldn't some of the transplanted hair fall right back off. i'm a NW5 btw and i was thinking of the hair transplant procedure and the cons for me outweigh the pros, i guess if i was lucky my hair would go back to the way it looked 2 or 3 years ago when i was a NW2/3 but would i really be satisfied by that? and moreover i'm in a profession where there is high levels of stress and i could imagine the transplanted hair dropping off my bald scalp. I'm sure many people on this board don't deal with the same kind of stress as I do, but sooner or later you'll encounter it then what?
A sucessful hair transplant depends on the quality of donor hair and unfortunately for me my hair is fading on the sides and on the back near the neck area as well, so i guess a hair transplant is completely out of the question. allot of people might watch a few youtube videos and see guys gaining back a full head of hair but those people are probably on the higher end of the very successful 5-10%.
I suppose i'll have to wait around for some kind of miracle cure (not that i'm holding my breath lol).

Whether you are on treatments or had a transplant, either way your still going to look in the mirror every day for the next 12 months (at least), only the transplant route will almost guarantee you proper results where as the treatments will only give you hope. Each person responds differently to different methods but we're all in it for the same reason long term.

a good transplant will not only give you hair but will be a lot more cost effective in the long term.

zdm632

Established Member
Reaction score
i'm sure there are people out there who are happy after hair transplants, but imo for me i really don't think its worth it. having to wait 12 months post op and looking in the mirror every morning to see if there are new sprouts of hair is something i did when i was on regular finasteride and rogaine, i hope to put those days well and truly behind me, i'd be seriously pissed off if after 1 year following a hair transplant the results were below my expectations, that's 2000 euros (at the minimum) gone.
and look at guys like wayne rooney his hair transplant cost in excess of 30,000 GBP and several months after people noticed his hair growing back it dropped back off. seriously the cons for getting a hair transplant outweigh the pros. Going bald at a young age is ****ed up, lots of guys including myself went through it but burning away hard earned money makes that pain even worse.

Well, it depends on your expectation.
If you want all your hair back, no transplant is going to do that!
But if you only want to look better, the transplant can be very good.
In my opinion, the worst about advanced stages of balding(NW3,4...) is the bad or no more existent hairline. That is responsible 90% for the balding ugliness...
So if you can restore it, of course, with lower density than original, it would improve your appearance a lot.
That's what people first notice, that's what matters in pictures, etc:hairline!

Lollerme

Banned
Reaction score
Joe Tillman, who was a guy who went from NW6 to a NW2 and one of the mentors in hair transplantation often mentioned he had a below average donor zone.
No, his hair incredibly thin, and if you watch it up close it looks fake. And that's done by one of the best surgeons in the word, Hasson & Wong!
I'm pretty sure he get's a good number of people staring at it during a day :D
I would rather shave it than having doll-hair on my head.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
No sign of SMP enhancement either for Joe. Still looks solid.

Hoskins

Reaction score
The above picture of Tillman is from his absolute best angle though, hair wise. If you look at other pictures you will see that the overall thickness is far less.

Nevertheless it's a pretty good hair transplant. But it's almost 10000 grafts, I guess it's more or less pushed to its limits, can't be much more to do after that.

Lollerme

Banned
Reaction score
hair-transplant-after.png

Incredibly thin, yeah right.
all photos are misleading, nothing looks the same in person as it does in the photos.

Hoskins

Reaction score
Point is, if you expect an over all thickness looking like this specific photo of Tillman, you will most likely be very disappointed. I don't want anybody to be disappointed, there are too many problems with losing your hair anyway.

So look at all Hassan & Wongs photos of Tillman (and others), and get a more realistic picture of what you can achieve.

But as I said, it is a pretty good hair transplant. Would I go for it? Probably if I could get there with lets say 4000-5000 grafts. Unfortunately I can't, too far gone .