Are Hair Transplants Killing The Science Industry?

Do you feel their will be a cure in 2020

• Total voters

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It seems like we have great solutions out there. There's Histogen, cloning DHT resistant hair in Japan (originally in Canada), and Follical pioneering the field.

In the last Congressional hair conference, hair transplant doctor's were raising the "concern" that someone's hairline wouldn't be right without "weaker" hair to cover it up. This was raised with one of the most promising treatments, Replicel.

Hair transplant doctors make lots of money these days. And I don't think there interested in a new technology that will take away their revenues.

Anybody with an Advanced Norwood level like myself would rather have a "decent" hairline, then a "f*****g TRIANGULAR ONE".

Am I the only guy that feels this way?

dermrafok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No cure in 2020 ... 2030 ... 2040 maybe ...
I called a cure something that can cure very agressive hair loss, not just hair loss that can already be cured by "just" finasteride ...
Do not forget that there is a large part of the population with androgenetic alopecia that does not tolerate Finasteride. Hair Cloning would be the solution

forlorn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Science is going to kill manual hair transplants, not the other way around. Once Tsuji's research is done, they will be cloning hair follicles that can be transplanted back onto the scalp using surgeons. Unfortunately for the surgeons, Kyocera-Riken is planning on creating automatic devices for hair transplants, which would render the surgeons useless. Of course, you'd still need someone to operate the device in some capacity, but it would probably lower the fees for hair transplants due to its superior speed and ease, making potentially more people qualified to perform hair transplants as the complexity of the procedure has been drastically reduced.

dermrafok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@dermrafok : Yeah maybe 2-5% ... but I don't think it's enough to make scientists willing to find a better cure. I hope I'm wrong, ...
More than 5%...I think 40-50% people with androgenetic alopecia do not tolerate Finasteride. In summary: of 10 men taking Finasteride: 5 will have side effects and 5 will not. The Merck data is clearly manipulated. Honestly...Medical consultation data.

Chap1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Imagine hair transplants with unlimited donor, that would be sweet. You could literally go from completely bald on top to a full head of hair. But with other possible "cures" like injections, I could actually easily see hair transplant doctors adopt this technology, I am sure the company that makes it and hair transplant doctors could come to a compromise.

cretin

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
industry of transplant surgeon and industry of pharmaceutical almost completely separate

transplant surgeon not conduct primary research on pathology alopecia

so... no

if anything, industry of pharmaceutical eventually eradicate industry of transplant surgeon

Kev123

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t think so. hair transplant, whether it’s FUE or whatever new tech, is just an option for decent coverage, but let’s face it hair transplant’s don’t look all that good unless it’s someone whose norwood wasn’t that bad. But a NW4-6 getting an hair transplant to get full coverage, most of them look unnatural and leaves the patient wanting to still cure their hair loss. Take me for instance, I had an FUE procedure done in 2014 but I still visit this forum and I still want a cure/better treatment. hair transplant’s don’t erase the rest of the market or make hair loss sufferers disinterested, it’s just another option that could work very well depending on the person and the doctor.

BaldingGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
More than 5%...I think 40-50% people with androgenetic alopecia do not tolerate Finasteride. In summary: of 10 men taking Finasteride: 5 will have side effects and 5 will not. The Merck data is clearly manipulated. Honestly...Medical consultation data.

And we can't forget the guys that didn't respond to finasteride ...

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

Not that I want to go to this circus again, but while the Merck data probably IS fudged, there is no way your estimate is realistic. Again, way more men take the drug for prostate issues and there is no overwhelming amount of complaint of side effects from that group, nor is there any internet hate mob surrounding the drug in that group.

Anyway, I think that your poll is a bit flawed.

What will be an effective treatment that results in an abolition of your symptoms will vary depending on how much hair you need, the capability of the treatment to meet that goal and possibly other factors yet unknown to us.

But I do absolutely think there will be products that will suffice for a sizeable, perhaps majority of the population in the next few years.

blvd77

My Regimen
Reaction score
this again? for the millionth time, that pseudo theorizing makes 0 sense.

people seem to have a very simplistic and archaic perception of reality, so they love to point at random group of people and demonize them to explain everything to themselves.

if you seriously think a bunch of hair transplant docs have a saying in where science and research are going and how the solutions for hair loss are developing, i dont know what to say to you.

tldr you are just another unoriginal idiot

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
No cure in 2020 ... 2030 ... 2040 maybe ...
I called a cure something that can cure very agressive hair loss, not just hair loss that can already be cured by "just" finasteride ...
With " just finasteride " you are killing your dick. You are reducing 70 % of you stronger androgen, say bye bye to alpha male and welcome to the fatty b**ch . After a couple of years your estrogens will go up, your T will go down and your Progesterone will dispensary .
Plus, you are inhibiting alopregnolone, a calm neurohormone in your brain.

People that think that finasteride is not strong, or that have no side effects, simple have zero knowledge about physiology and pharmacology .
Finasteride was approved with the data from studies done more than 22 years ago, what we know now about DHT and 5-alpha reductase it complete different.

BaldingGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@jamesbooker1975 When I was on rivotril it killed my dick waaaaaaaaay more than fina ever did.. Not saying that messing with hormones for cosmetic reasons is the best choice but at the end of the day you got to pursue what makes you happy... If I want to keep my hair, know the risks and think the reward is worth the said risks who are you to judge?

Almost a year in (now on duta) and didn't become fat, actually I've lost some weight so yeahh....
I agree that AR are super outdated drugs and they should've come up with better options after 22 years though..

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
@jamesbooker1975 When I was on rivotril it killed my dick waaaaaaaaay more than fina ever did.. Not saying that messing with hormones for cosmetic reasons is the best choice but at the end of the day you got to pursue what makes you happy... If I want to keep my hair, know the risks and think the reward is worth the said risks who are you to judge?

Almost a year in (now on duta) and didn't become fat, actually I've lost some weight so yeahh....
I agree that AR are super outdated drugs and they should've come up with better options after 22 years though..
Lol, give enought time. Do you really think that your body will tell : Well ok, 90 % less of an Hormone, sure, not problem.

Let me give you some extremly basic information. In a normal body, male body, when DHT goes UP , Estrogen goes up, and viceversa, there are like ying and young . Also, progesterone control them, so if they goes up, progesterone goes up to make things go down and viceversa.

And, I am not even talking about nerohormones, that is a whole different story.

Let me tell you what is going to happen now :
LDL cholesterol will go up, HDL will go down, Your liver enzimes will increase and go far away the limit

Let me tell you what is going to happen to you in a couple of years :
Testosterone will go low, lower than the average for your age
Estrogen will go up, much higher than the average for your age .
Progesterone will disappear.

All thanks to dutasteride. I bet you, at least, read some papers, new papers on pubmed about side effects of dutasteride, rigth ;) ?

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score

Enjoy it :) :
Dual-5α-Reductase Inhibition Promotes Hepatic Lipid Accumulation in Man.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26574953