Are finasteride's side effects REALLY worse than what Merck claims?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I found the study below posted on another hair site, and I find it absolutely fascinating. The obvious implication is that if you plant the idea in the minds of potential finasteride users beforehand that there's even a possibility that they're going to be experiencing some sexual side effects from finasteride, they're much more likely to actually experience those side effects than if you don't say anything at all about it! Women would probably laugh at the idea that men are apparently so sensitive even to just a suggestion that something may go wrong with the male equipment down there! :)

"Finasteride 5 mg and sexual side effects: how many of these are related to a nocebo phenomenon?"

J Sex Med. 2007 Nov;4(6):1708-12

INTRODUCTION:
Sexual adverse experiences such as erectile dysfunction (ED), loss of libido, and ejaculation disorders have been consistent side effects of finasteride in a maximum percentage of 15% after 1 year of therapy. Such data could be seen as far from reality, if compared to a higher percentage that may be found in any common clinical practice.

AIM: This study aims to explain the dichotomy between literature's data and clinical practice data.

METHODS:
One hundred twenty patients with a clinical diagnosis of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), sexually active and with an International Index of Erectile Function-erectile function (IIEF-EF) domain >/=25 were randomized to receive finasteride 5 mg concealed as an "X compound of proven efficacy for the treatment of BPH" for 1 year with (group 2) or without (group 1) counseling on the drug sexual side effect. The phrase used to inform group 2 patients was ". . . it may cause erectile dysfunction, decreased libido, problems of ejaculation but these are uncommon".

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: The estimation of side effect was conducted at 6 and 12 months using the male sexual function-4 (MSF-4 item) questionnaire and a self-administered questionnaire.

RESULTS: One hundred seven patients completed the study. Group 2 patients (N = 55) reported a significant higher proportion of one or more sexual side effects as compared to group 1 (N = 52) (43.6% vs. 15.3%) (P = 0.03). The incidence of ED, decreased libido, and ejaculation disorders were 9.6, 7.7, and 5.7% for group 1, and 30.9, 23.6, and 16.3% for group 2, respectively (P = 0.02, P = 0.04, and P = 0.06).

CONCLUSION: In the current study, blinded administration of finasteride was associated with a significantly higher proportion of sexual dysfunction in patients informed on sexual side effects (group 2) as compared to those in which the same information was omitted (group 1) (P = 0.03).

A scenario similar to group 2 of the current study is likely to occur in clinical practice, where the patient is counseled by the physician and has access to the drug information sheet.

The burden of this nocebo effect (an adverse side effect that is not a direct result of the specific pharmacological action of the drug) has to be taken into account when managing finasteride sexual side effects.

Whyatt

Established Member
Reaction score
Nice catch! This study strongly support what many of us already suspected.

G

I think i only started get side effects when i found this forum :)

IBM

Reaction score
Davidoff said:
I think i only started get side effects when i found this forum :)

Hey you made your point about finasteride side effects. Still there's some people that prefer to have side effects instead of admiting baldness.

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I genuinley feel merck is being shy with the stats, the product works whether its hairloss or bph, but the sides are real and the percentage of people experiencing side effects is higher than they claim, why would 100's of people post on propeciahelp? I really can't see the point of so many guys being just paranoid or wanting to scare people, think about it.

If a new treatment come along and was proven to give positive results and no side effects I would switch straight away, but the finasteride works for me, but at a price.

G

Lucky_UK said:
I genuinley feel merck is being shy with the stats, the product works whether its hairloss or bph, but the sides are real and the percentage of people experiencing side effects is higher than they claim, why would 100's of people post on propeciahelp? I really can't see the point of so many guys being just paranoid or wanting to scare people, think about it.

If a new treatment come along and was proven to give positive results and no side effects I would switch straight away, but the finasteride works for me, but at a price.
What price? The 2% claim is a load of crap.Every person i know in real life has gotten bad sexual sides from finasteride,out of 5 of my friends who have tried finasteride,All got sexual sides,Coincidence? Bullshit.

bubka

Reaction score
Every time some titty baby comes here, makes 10 threads about finasteride side effects, then they get the same side effects, ususally after the first 30 minutes

bubka

Reaction score
Lucky_UK said:

Every study on finasteride has concluded the same, reguardless if merk was the one paying for it

barcafan

Reaction score
I defintely grew some gyno on it. But that may be because i had minor gyno during puberty, maybe im just really susceptible.

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score
In my case I'm pretty convinced it's not nocebo or what it's called. A few years back I was on Effexor (an antidepressant) for a little while and got sexual side effects. But they were entirely different from the finasteride sexual sides. Effexor made me semi-impotent. I didn't lose the physical desire, or sensitivity, I just couldn't finish. I quit the drug because I felt it didn't help me, and the side effects disappeared soon after. With finasteride I'm not impotent at all, but I have no physical desire and reduced sensitivity. Also almost no spontaneous erections. (How could that be caused by the mind?) And the side effects stayed although I quit 3.5 months ago.

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score
Effexor? Don't remember. finasteride: 1.25 mg pr day (Proscar cut into 4)

ITNEVERRAINS

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure all those Vioxx side effects are false also.

G

Norsk said:
Effexor? Don't remember. finasteride: 1.25 mg pr day (Proscar cut into 4)
Did you ever try finasteride at 0.25mg? That is one fith of what you were using.

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score
Nope. The problem is that I STILL have the sexual side effects now that I'm on 0.0 mg of finasteride pr day. So I can't use sexual side effects as a gauge for my body's tolerance to anything right now.

phish

Established Member
Reaction score
a lot of sexual side affects are from higher estrogen low test get your blood work done.

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Norsk said:
With finasteride I'm not impotent at all, but I have no physical desire and reduced sensitivity. Also almost no spontaneous erections. (How could that be caused by the mind?)

The mind is crucial in sexual arousal and erection! :)

That's not to say that finasteride did or did not cause you sides, just that sexual function is a lot more complicated than just hormones.

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Norsk said:
Spontaneous erections have nothing to do with arousal.

So there's nothing mental involved at all?

I don't believe it fella....