Are DHT Inhibitors necessary?

Fightingback

Reaction score
Sorry that this is my first post but I don't intend for it to be my last. I'm also sorry if this topic is fairly common and you hear this question all the time. My question is simple though: is Propecia/a DHT inhibitor necessary to fight back against hair loss? I read through the Hair Loss guide and got to the point where it was about selecting the right product for you, but (to put it simply) do I have to make sure all those boxes are checked off?

I'm working on a budget here and realize that there are other options, given that, but I was considering just trying out Nizoral and Tricomin Therapy Spray.

Also for reference, I am 22 and suffering from hair diffusal and a bit of loss at the vertex. It's still very possible and decent looking when I comb over, but I can't split my hair down the middle anymore without looking awful. I'm even noticing it when my girlfriend takes pictures of me.

As a small foot note: Can I go with Nizoral alone and expect any hair growth down the road? Just curious.

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, finasteride is absolutely necessary. Without it you're fighting an uphill battle.

No, Nizoral is far from strong enough on its own.

Fightingback

Reaction score
JerseyPhils said:
In my research, finasteride is the only treatment. You can get generic for less than a bottle of nizoral.

This is extremely encouraging, thank you.

More responses welcome of course. :)

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Generic finasteride is pretty cheap.

I would say it is the best product to go for in halting hair loss, you definitely need it.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Fightingback said:
My question is simple though: is Propecia/a DHT inhibitor necessary to fight back against hair loss?

Dr. Proctor said a few years ago on alt.baldspot that his prescription Proxiphen (a topical product with numerous ingredients) is "unquestionably more effective than finasteride alone". I have no reason to doubt his honesty and judgement. Proxiphen isn't cheap, though.

kthxbi

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Fightingback said:
My question is simple though: is Propecia/a DHT inhibitor necessary to fight back against hair loss?

Dr. Proctor said a few years ago on alt.baldspot that his prescription Proxiphen (a topical product with numerous ingredients) is "unquestionably more effective than finasteride alone". I have no reason to doubt his honesty and judgement. Proxiphen isn't cheap, though.
think you answered yourself there to be honest. maybe i'm just being cynical but this guy's looking to make money either way. if it was so much better than finasteride, surely everyone here would be using it?

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Fightingback said:

If your going to continue to make such ridiculus posts please include that photo of you that was on the net showing VERY LITTLE ( none IMO ) results.

Dr Proctor can say what he wants but untill he comes out with visual proof ( not 2 or 3 photos) what he says ( and you continually repeat ) is pure BS.

Also Proxiphen contains minoxidil which is the reason it works at all.

Again, no long winded reply from you is needed, just some photos please along with documentation showing they were only using Proxiphen.

47thin

Established Member
Reaction score
Get some Propecia. IF you want get, some minoxidil or Dr Lee's Xandrox. Proxiphen may work and it might be a little stronger than minoxidil, but if it didn't have minoxidil, it wouldn't work.

I tried the Tricomin/Nizoral route (for quite a while), and it won't work. Also, be careful, as I had a diffuse, mature hairline/hair at 22, and it didn't really change until I was in my late 40's. They call it a mature hairline. Your hair won't look like it did in your teens, except in some really rare cases.

Finally, Tricomin and nizoral are products that help IF you use minoxidil and propecia.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
47thin said:
Get some Propecia. IF you want get, some minoxidil or Dr Lee's Xandrox. Proxiphen may work and it might be a little stronger than minoxidil, but if it didn't have minoxidil, it wouldn't work.

I'd put Rogaine foam up against Proxiphen ANYDAY !

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
HT55 said:
If your going to continue to make such ridiculus posts please include that photo of you that was on the net showing VERY LITTLE ( none IMO ) results.

I've never posted any pictures at all of me showing the results of using Proxiphen. You're probably confusing that with the pictures I posted of my use of Prox-N, which is just the non-prescription, cheaper, over-the-counter version of Proxiphen. It does show a small improvement in the baldspot at the back of my head, over a period of exactly 2 years. That was accomplished using only Prox-N, and occasionally NANO shampoo. Stabilization and maintenance is something greatly to be desired, even if you can't re-grow hair on slick bald spots.

HT55 said:
Dr Proctor can say what he wants but untill he comes out with visual proof ( not 2 or 3 photos) what he says ( and you continually repeat ) is pure BS.

Hey, don't use his products, if you don't want to. It's YOUR hair, not mine.

HT55 said:

Shows how little you know.

Fightingback

Reaction score
47thin said:
I tried the Tricomin/Nizoral route (for quite a while), and it won't work. Also, be careful, as I had a diffuse, mature hairline/hair at 22, and it didn't really change until I was in my late 40's. They call it a mature hairline. Your hair won't look like it did in your teens, except in some really rare cases.

Finally, Tricomin and nizoral are products that help IF you use minoxidil and propecia.

I'd rather start early than potentially wait until too late, especially considering that (with reference to my father's record) I have 8 years of hair left until it becomes noticeable. I hear you though and I hope you're right.

One thing I'm wondering though is how you use Tricomin and minoxidil at the same time? Which goes first? Because I'm getting the spray and the greasy Kirkland brand liquid in the mail but I'm wondering how this is going to work.

47thin

Established Member
Reaction score
Tricomin is a leave in "conditioner". Helps more with the itch and inflammation, but it doesn't really grow hair. It will make some peoples hair look thicker and darker, but not to the degree you probably want. As I have said, in my experience, over 2 years, it did very little on its own. Get some Xandrox or Spectral DS if you want to get an advanced, kitchen sink approach. Otherwise you'll be spray all kinds of stuff on your hair, and it will look all matted down and seem like it is even worse. You can do a search on Tricomin, and there are threads that tell you it is a dead end as a stand alone. No one has ever posted photos in Success stories, of treatment of Tricomin alone.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
HT55 said:

I've never posted any pictures at all of me showing the results of using Proxiphen. You're probably confusing that with the pictures I posted of my use of Prox-N, which is just the non-prescription, cheaper, over-the-counter version of Proxiphen. It does show a small improvement in the baldspot at the back of my head, over a period of exactly 2 years. That was accomplished using only Prox-N, and occasionally NANO shampoo. Stabilization and maintenance is something greatly to be desired, even if you can't re-grow hair on slick bald spots.

HT55 said:

Hey, don't use his products, if you don't want to. It's YOUR hair, not mine.

HT55 said:

Shows how little you know.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Is that the best you could do? Post a few old photos of yourself that aren't even labelled in any way which indicates what you were using, or when they were taken? What does any of that have to do with what I said about Dr. Proctor's products?

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Is that the best you could do? Post a few old photos of yourself that aren't even labelled in any way which indicates what you were using, or when they were taken? What does any of that have to do with what I said about Dr. Proctor's products?

I think you meant say 4 sets of 3 photos ( total 12 photos) taken under the same lighting about a year apart clearly labeled with dates and EXACTLY what I was using with the most recent photo being 14 months old.

Of course you had to actually click on the photos to enlarge them and see the caption so I know how close you looked, lol

I'll take new ones next month which will show even more hair.

What does it have to do with Proctors products ? It shows the stuff I suggest people use ACTUALLY WORKS !!! ALL YOU DO is repeat what Dr Proctor told you and for some reason you take it as fact but yet you argue FACTS all day about every product under the sun on every hair loss board but in this case the lack of facts is just fine, why is that ?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
HT55 said:
I think you meant say 4 sets of 3 photos ( total 12 photos) taken under the same lighting about a year apart clearly labeled with dates and EXACTLY what I was using with the most recent photo being 14 months old.

Of course you had to actually click on the photos to enlarge them and see the caption so I know how close you looked, lol

I strongly recommend to you that from now on, you tell people to click on pictures like that.

HT55 said:
What does it have to do with Proctors products ? It shows the stuff I suggest people use ACTUALLY WORKS !!! ALL YOU DO is repeat what Dr Proctor told you...

I don't just repeat what Dr. Proctor told me. I'm also going by my own personal experience with Prox-N and NANO shampoo, and the experience of many other people.

HT55 said:
...and for some reason you take it as fact but yet you argue FACTS all day about every product under the sun on every hair loss board but in this case the lack of facts is just fine, why is that ?

What are you talking about? The only product I have taken strong issue with over the years is Dr. Lee's "Xandrox", because of the azelaic acid which he seems to think is as good as finasteride. I can't think of any other product about which I have "argued FACTS", and I bet you can't, either.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
HT55 said:

I strongly recommend to you that from now on, you tell people to click on pictures like that.

Until I cleared the counter those photos had over 400 views in the last year and not one person asked me what I was using or any other questions about timelines so I guess MOST PEOPLE clicked on the photos without me telling them.

The #1 question asked was about using 2 bottles of foam a month, flaking, itching, heart, etc of which I have had none

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
I don't just repeat what Dr. Proctor told me. I'm also going by my own personal experience with Prox-N and NANO shampoo, and the experience of many other people.

So where all all the raving reviews of Proctors Products from other people?

Where are all the before and after photos of regrowth using Proctors products ?

Call me crazy but if I had a product that worked as well as Finasteride without the sides I would get a group of at least 25 guys into my office , give them my product for free and take photos every month under the same lighting for 2 years to prove my product worked.

If Proctor could show that he would never be questioned and make a FORTUNE.

Bryan said:
What are you talking about? The only product I have taken strong issue with over the years is Dr. Lee's "Xandrox", because of the azelaic acid which he seems to think is as good as finasteride. I can't think of any other product about which I have "argued FACTS", and I bet you can't, either.

So now Dr Lee CAN'T SAY his unproven product works as good as Finasteride but Dr Proctor CAN SAY his unproven product works as well and to add to it you seem to have no problem telling people to spend $100/month ($1200/year)on Proctors stuff which you yourself have never even used, you can't make this up

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
HT55 said:
Bryan said:

HUH?? For your information, I've posted that long list of rave reviews of Dr. Proctor's products more than once on this and other hairloss sites; those are the ones I culled from alt.baldspot posts. Are you now claiming that you never saw that post? Do I need to post that list again (yes, I have a copy of it), just for your personal benefit and edification? :mrgreen: :laugh:

HT55 said:

Haven't you seen the ones he has on his Web site? The ones he has of that one guy using Proxiphen are probably the most astonishing before-and-after photos I've ever seen.

HT55 said:
Call me crazy but if I had a product that worked as well as Finasteride without the sides I would get a group of at least 25 guys into my office , give them my product for free and take photos every month under the same lighting for 2 years to prove my product worked.

I wish he would do that, too, just to shut some people up.

HT55 said:
So now Dr Lee CAN'T SAY his unproven product works as good as Finasteride but Dr Proctor CAN SAY his unproven product works as well and to add to it you seem to have no problem telling people to spend $100/month ($1200/year)on Proctors stuff which you yourself have never even used, you can't make this up

Dr. Lee can say anything he wants about his products, but that won't stop me from pointing out to everybody that there is no in vivo scientific evidence that azelaic acid works as a topical 5a-reductase inhibitor (which, by the way, is a FACT, not just my opinion).

As for whether or not prescription Proxiphen works as well as Propecia...I'm always careful to state that that's a claim made by Dr. Proctor, and that I trust him and I have no reason to doubt his medical judgement and honesty.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
HT55 said:
Bryan said:

HUH?? For your information, I've posted that long list of rave reviews of Dr. Proctor's products more than once on this and other hairloss sites; those are the ones I culled from alt.baldspot posts. Are you now claiming that you never saw that post? Do I need to post that list again (yes, I have a copy of it), just for your personal benefit and edification? :mrgreen: :laugh:

HT55 said:

Haven't you seen the ones he has on his Web site? The ones he has of that one guy using Proxiphen are probably the most astonishing before-and-after photos I've ever seen.

HT55 said:

I wish he would do that, too, just to shut some people up.

HT55 said:

Dr. Lee can say anything he wants about his products, but that won't stop me from pointing out to everybody that there is no in vivo scientific evidence that azelaic acid works as a topical 5a-reductase inhibitor (which, by the way, is a FACT, not just my opinion).

As for whether or not prescription Proxiphen works as well as Propecia...I'm always careful to state that that's a claim made by Dr. Proctor, and that I trust him and I have no reason to doubt his medical judgement and honesty.

Sure post it since I have no idea what alt,baldspot is

ONE PHOTO, lol for all you know the guy was on other drugs or most likely had some health problems that caused that much hair loss and regrowth.

The study hasn't been done because his stuff works NO BETTER THAN ROGAINE FOAM if even as good.

You promote Dr Proctor too much and have to have some sort of vested interest in this product