are centrum a good vitamin

davejeni

Reaction score
i have been using centrum for 2 m onths is it a good vitamin eg does it contain enough b6 & zinc.

anyone

The Gardener

Reaction score
It's a decent vitamin, but not the best. And, no, it does not, in my opinion, contain nearly enough B complex.

A quality vitamin should not just contain a flat 100% of all of the FDA allowances like Centrum has. It should have at least twice that dosage of B complex, and most quality vitamins have select enzymes and aminos that assist in the uptake and absorbtion of the nutrients.

There are many of these "high quality" vitamin supplements out on the market. I have my preference, but it is by no means the only choice. The down side is that these higher quality vitamins will cost you. Mine is marked at $1.49 per day, but it is easily found at $28 per month if you poke around the web a bit. Same goes for the others. If you are willing to pay $15-$20 a month, you can do better than Centrum. Much better.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Gard -

Ive always been wary of vitamins with X % more than recommended. I know there are theories out there that the govt numbers are "too low" but ... like GNC mega man vitamins with 600% of recommended on some things...just too potent for daily use unless you are training in some physical manner.

Can you tell us what your recommended daily vit is? Ive been on centrum for 2 yrs ... but I train ... quite often ... 3x a week ... would like something that helps me ... despite cost.

HairLossTalk.com

Cassin

Reaction score
TL1681-2.gif

My choice.

SE-freak

Reaction score
I would stick to the centrum.

I also take brewer's yeast daily for the b complex and aminoacids. The b complex and aminos in b.yeast are much more bioavailable and naturally balanced. This thing is hair food incarnate.

Freestyle

Established Member
Reaction score
I take SWISSE Multivite For Men.

Apart from essential oils, it has everything you need. I take Flaxseed caps for oils and drink a bottle of Yakult for acidophilus to round out my supplements.

Swisse is a well respected company with solid scientific backing behind their products. A lot of athletes use Swisse multivitamins.

SE-freak

Reaction score
The Gardener said:
HairLossTalk.com, here is the product that I use, and this is the place where I buy it:

http://www.vitacost.com/EnzymaticTherap ... y%20energy

I recommend it very highly.

It seems impressive- except for this:

He also found that most people will notice a 76% improvement in quality of life after three months of use when used in conjunction with his individualized health care program.

that was really funny.

Packers

Established Member
Reaction score
What about One A Day multivitamins? They come out pretty cheap when it's buy one/get one.

Garm1

Reaction score
The Gardener said:
It's a decent vitamin, but not the best. And, no, it does not, in my opinion, contain nearly enough B complex.

A quality vitamin should not just contain a flat 100% of all of the FDA allowances like Centrum has. It should have at least twice that dosage of B complex

Been on centrum for about 1.5 month.
Very very good. And no side effects for my stomach even if i take it early early in the morning.

About having only 100% percent of each vitamin, why the hell is that bad??
I can take extra dosages from some nutritional foods i eat.
But having 100% fda is just fine.

and most quality vitamins have select enzymes and aminos that assist in the uptake and absorbtion of the nutrients.
name some pls

sublime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
100% of some things is fine but remember that amount (RDA) is set forth by the government. It was just a little over ten years ago the government said all fats are bad for us even omega 3's and 6's. We now know better. I'd rather optimize my health. :)

The Gardener

Reaction score
Quality multi vitamins include names such as Nutriceutical Sciences, Enzymatic Therapy, GNC Mega Man, Twinlab, etc.

MANY nutritionists have recommended dosages well in excess of 100% of the RDA for some vitamins, especially water soluble vitamins, as you piss a considerable quantity of the vitamin out when you take them all at once in the form of a pill, and your body ends up absorbing far less than the recommended 100%. In addition to this effect, the RDA of some vitamins is simply far understated given contemporary knowledge of metabolism.

Your comment about making up any deficiencies through nutritious eating is very true. Most of us who have wholesome diets each day probably could get by without a vitamin at all. However, I know for a fact that my intake of fruits and vegetables is probably far too low, I try to snack on legumes during the day, but most often don't, and by taking a vitamin I help plug the occasional hole where my diet that day did not pass muster, especially given how much business travel I do. I need to function at my prime, and can't afford to take any days off due to sickness so I need to stay well. I think that my supplements in addition to my exercise have helped keep me pretty much sickness free for years. I've had a mild cold maybe once or twice in the last five years and NO flu, not bad for a guy who spends lots of time in grimy, germ breeding grounds such as airports, airplanes, airplane lavatories, and hotel surfaces.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I take One-A-Day Active Vitamins (long time) which contain RDA's of about 300% for most.

That, combined with a decent diet, and exercise has certainly kept me sick free for a long time.

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
i have been sick free for a very long time even before i take any vitamins..

hmm... i guess most bald guys here is pretty healthy huh... haha...

Jupiter1

Reaction score
There is a difference between Recommend Daily Allowance (RDA) and Optimal Daily Allowance (ODA). Centrum is a poor nutritional provider compared to other brands that and its low bio-availabilty.

From: http://www.slimming.co.uk/eating/vitamins/optimum-daily-allowances.htm

Unlike with RDAs which suggest guidelines that offer you the minimum quantities of various nutrients, Optimum Daily Allowances (ODA) refer to the optimal amounts of each that it is recommended you consume to obtain optimal health benefits. With minimal risk of developing certain conditions and diseases, the Optimum Daily Allowances (ODA) of nutrients can really help to point you in the right direction for the advantages that your health needs. Optimum Daily Allowances (ODA) are almost like a better version for your health than RDAs.[/url]