Approaching The Year Mark On Finasteride, When To Add Minoxidil?

MorningGlory

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I started finasteride 1mg May of last year and have only forgotten my pill once in that time. I started the Regenepure DR and NT combo in November and I love what it’s doing for my hair (although I may add the volumizer because my hair looks flat at weekends for some reason?).

Anyway, my plan had originally been to add the last of the Big Three at the year point, but I’m now considering pushing it back six months to see if I make further progress with my present regimen. I gather finasteride results top out at the two year mark, so what do you think?

For context I’m 34 with a diffused NW3v (approximately).

Vanitykills

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't do it if you're happy with it now. You're a NW3, could make it worse.

Finasteride does not top out at 2 years, I'm at 6 years and the hair quality is still improving. There's actually a 10 year study on finasteride.

Snippits:

'In 21% of cases, the treatment continuation beyond 5 years provided better results. '

' In our opinion, the result after the first year can help in predicting the effectiveness of the treatment. Its efficacy was not reduced as time goes on; in fact, a big proportion of subjects unchanged after 1 year, improved later on, maintaining a positive trend.'

Last edited:

MorningGlory

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't do it if you're happy with it now. You're a NW3, could make it worse.

Finasteride does not top out at 2 years, I'm at 6 years and the hair quality is still improving. There's actually a 10 year study on finasteride.

Snippits:

'In 21% of cases, the treatment continuation beyond 5 years provided better results. '

' In our opinion, the result after the first year can help in predicting the effectiveness of the treatment. Its efficacy was not reduced as time goes on; in fact, a big proportion of subjects unchanged after 1 year, improved later on, maintaining a positive trend.'

Really helpful reply, thank you. To be honest it’s only really the crown area I spend time worrying about. With my hair dried and brushed forward only a Norwood spotter would notice I’ve thinned and receded. I’m just slightly impatient about the crown, hence me considering adding minoxidil.

Love your avatar and username by the way. I am the resurrection...

Vanitykills

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Vanitykills ;why do you think minoxidil would make thing worse ?

It super charges the growth cycle i.e shedding. There's been many accounts over the years - myself included - from people losing ground after using minoxildil, I'm certainly not saying this is the case for everyone.

However, it can be a risk. He said he's doing well. As they say if it ain't broke don't fix it. Plus adding minoxidil is a huge commitment.

I would say if you're only going to use it on the crown, that would be fine. It can hurt the hair line.

MorningGlory

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It super charges the growth cycle i.e shedding. There's been many accounts over the years - myself included - from people losing ground after using minoxildil, I'm certainly not saying this is the case for everyone.

However, it can be a risk. He said he's doing well. As they say if it ain't broke don't fix it. Plus adding minoxidil is a huge commitment.

I would say if you're only going to use it on the crown, that would be fine. It can hurt the hair line.

But potentially couldn’t I lose (at least temporarily) what hair I have on my crown by adding minoxidil?

I think I’ll continue with my present regimen for at least another year, then look at adding minoxidil if/when I want to go for that final bit of regrowth.

Vanitykills

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
But potentially couldn’t I lose (at least temporarily) what hair I have on my crown by adding minoxidil?

I think I’ll continue with my present regimen for at least another year, then look at adding minoxidil if/when I want to go for that final bit of regrowth.

I, like some users started with minoxidil first, big mistake. The correct way is to start with finasteride, if you achieve good results and are happy, leave it there.

Minoxidil does not work for everyone. I know it works for some - the evidence is clear - it worked for me very quickly and for approximately two years, then I lost the gains. I personally dislike it, headaches, heart flutter, dry scalp, constant shedding, bloated face, ageing.

It could fill in marvelously, do nothing, or make it shed and worsen. If you're content with your hair, then my advice would be to leave as is. You would also have to continue for life.

Last edited:

MorningGlory

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I, like some users started with minoxidil first, big mistake. The correct way is to start with finasteride, if you achieve good results and are happy, leave it there.

Minoxidil does not work for everyone. I know it works for some - the evidence is clear - it worked for me very quickly and for approximately two years, then I lost the gains. I personally dislike it, headaches, heart flutter, dry scalp, constant shedding, bloated face, ageing.

It could fill in marvelously, do nothing, or make it shed and worsen. If you're content with your hair, then my advice would be to leave as is. You would also have to continue for life.

Thank you again. Do you think I’m doing the right thing using Regenepure? I use the DR on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and the NT on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. The DR is slightly drying but overall I think it’s working wonders for my hair quality.

Do you use a ketoconazole based shampoo?

Vanitykills

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes NT and DR are very good. I use their biotin conditioner and leave it in, but then I keep my hair short.

I personally use Revita, but I do rotate it with DR. You're good with the shampoo, stick with those.