Applying minoxidil

lucy923

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question for you guys regarding applying minoxidil and absorption of the minoxidil. If you only apply it once a day and do it 4 hours before a shower and you use hairspray during the day and maybe a lot of it, is there a chance that the hairspray is clogging up the scalp and keeping the minoxidil from absorbing? Just curious because I am trying minoxidil/w retin a and when I apply it when I get home from work over the hairspray and all the retin a does not tingle or burn at all, even though I get it to the scalp.......but, when I apply it say after a shower or to a clean scalp I feel a slight burn/tingle from the retin a. Is there a chance the hairspray is screwing it up?

Thanks.

lucy923

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think having a coating of hairspray on the scalp could cause the minoxidil to not penetrate and possibly cause a shed of new growth?

columbo

Reaction score
Hi, I am no expert and I am sure there are guys here who can answer you better than I. But I would suggest that yes, a coating of hairpsray on the scalp will prevent the minoxidil enetering the scalp as efficiently. this is the reason we use the Nizoral a couple of times a week, to thoroughly cleanse the scalp of such debris as hairspray and sebum etc.

Like I say I am sure other guys can give you more indepth replies.