Anyone With Experience With Saw Palmetto Supplements?

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone on this forum try saw palmetto? I started taking it because it's supposed to block dht, etc. I just got a prescription for finasteride. While I'm planning on only taking .25mg, I'm concerned that saw palmetto combined with the finasteride will lower my dht too much. That is of course IF(a very big IF), saw palmetto actually works. I'm freaked out about sides of blocking dht.

Sonolmn98

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone on this forum try saw palmetto? I started taking it because it's supposed to block dht, etc. I just got a prescription for finasteride. While I'm planning on only taking .25mg, I'm concerned that saw palmetto combined with the finasteride will lower my dht too much. That is of course IF(a very big IF), saw palmetto actually works. I'm freaked out about sides of blocking dht.
I did use it a year before my op and it actually helps in slowing down the balding process and stop some shedding, for the sexual side effects it very safe but its effectiveness is a bit questionable in term of treating male pattern baldness plus it has A very short half life so you need to take every 6 hours to see results

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I did use it a year before my op and it actually helps in slowing down the balding process and stop some shedding, for the sexual side effects it very safe but its effectiveness is a bit questionable in term of treating male pattern baldness plus it has A very short half life so you need to take every 6 hours to see results
That's good to know. I take it twice a day.

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not too worried about the half life since I'm on finasteride. If saw palmetto works, even slightly, I plan on getting off finasteride in a year and see how well I'm doing on saw palmetto, nizoral, and dermarolling. In terms of rate of hairloss, I have the slowest version of it so I'm hopeful i can regrow some and then stop minoxidil and finasteride. I dont know if this is a good idea, but I dont want to be on drugs forever.

Suswang

Established Member
Reaction score
why would you take saw palmetto if you have yet to start taking finasteride? wouldn't you try finasteride first for a few months?

Dhldan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just take finasteride without SP. It isn’t necessary. SP may work, but there hasn’t been many if any significant changes when using SP as a standalone. If your hair loss gets so aggressive to the point where finasteride stops working then hop on dutasteride.

SuperDPAsteve

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
FWIW I experienced extremely mild finasteride sides on 1000mg Saw palmetto/day