Anyone Who Changed From 2x Liquid Minoxidil To 1x Liquid And 1x Foam Daily And Lost Ground?

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello, as the title states.

I'm wondering if anyone here who changed from 2x liquid Minoxidil to 1x liquid and 1x foam daily and lost ground.

Comments appreciated, ty

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
I made this change

I did not lose ground

Alex Contee

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I made the change and lost ground but I am a diffuse thinner. It think it is tough for the foam to penetrate through diffuse loss IMO. I can't see why there would be an issue if you are talking about receding temples/balding crown.

Disclaimer: I have only ever used minoxidil once a day at double the dose.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
I made the change and lost ground but I am a diffuse thinner. It think it is tough for the foam to penetrate through diffuse loss IMO. I can't see why there would be an issue if you are talking about receding temples/balding crown.

Disclaimer: I have only ever used minoxidil once a day at double the dose.

Interesting, I also believe that I'm a diffuse thinner. How much ground did you lose exactly? Never recovered?

Alex Contee

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting, I also believe that I'm a diffuse thinner. How much ground did you lose exactly? Never recovered?
It is difficult to say if I would have lost the hair anyway over the next year or so. I lost a lot of density over 6 months. Some of this could have been user error. Maybe I could have bought some latex gloves and massaged it into my head for a while. But IMO it made me lose gains in the temples and midsection because too much of the foam was getting on the hair vs the follicle. That was 3ish years ago and I am still below that baseline.

Edit- Also if you follow the instructions and only apply it to the crown I doubt it matters. I apply it to the midsection and temples as well.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
It is difficult to say if I would have lost the hair anyway over the next year or so. I lost a lot of density over 6 months. Some of this could have been user error. Maybe I could have bought some latex gloves and massaged it into my head for a while. But IMO it made me lose gains in the temples and midsection because too much of the foam was getting on the hair vs the follicle. That was 3ish years ago and I am still below that baseline.

Edit- Also if you follow the instructions and only apply it to the crown I doubt it matters. I apply it to the midsection and temples as well.

Thank for your answer. How would you say that your hair is now? What Norwood? And what Norwood were you when you started? I'm 18.5 and contemplating finasteride, thoughts?

resu

Reaction score
You mean 1ml liquid and foam cap per day? There's also the gel version which I highly recommend but it takes forever to dry but if you can apply it for 4 hours at the 5th hour you can remove it from your scalp and you're done for the day. 1x liquid is enough as well.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
You mean 1ml liquid and foam cap per day? There's also the gel version which I highly recommend but it takes forever to dry but if you can apply it for 4 hours at the 5th hour you can remove it from your scalp and you're done for the day. 1x liquid is enough as well.

Yes exactly, 1 ml liquid and foam. I previously changed from 2x minoxidil to only once and I'm still not sure wether it caused a shed or not. I think it did to my right temple

Alex Contee

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank for your answer. How would you say that your hair is now? What Norwood? And what Norwood were you when you started? I'm 18.5 and contemplating finasteride, thoughts?
My hair is stabilized again but thinner. I have been between Norwood 2-2.5 for almost a decade. The difference has been a significant loss of density. I will go through a year + of stability and then have occasionally fall off a cliff that I never recover from. My two biggest drops were when I didn't take finasteride for almost a month because of moving/issue with my Dr and the change from liquid to foam. Again, I probably lose that density anyway. But personally, applying it from a dropper touching my scalp was more effective than trying to get the foam on my scalp.

When I first started out with the dropper I would make a mess. Now I go slow and drop it slowly over my scalp in rows like I am mowing a lawn.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
My hair is stabilized again but thinner. I have been between Norwood 2-2.5 for almost a decade. The difference has been a significant loss of density. I will go through a year + of stability and then have occasionally fall off a cliff that I never recover from. My two biggest drops were when I didn't take finasteride for almost a month because of moving/issue with my Dr and the change from liquid to foam. Again, I probably lose that density anyway. But personally, applying it from a dropper touching my scalp was more effective than trying to get the foam on my scalp.

When I first started out with the dropper I would make a mess. Now I go slow and drop it slowly over my scalp in rows like I am mowing a lawn.

Ty once again for your detailed answer. In your honest opinion, do you think that changing 2x liquid to once foam + once liquid is a mistake?