Anyone using finasteride without their Doctors knowledge?

dazzer1970

Reaction score
How many of us are using finasteride without their doctors knowledge or prior consultation?

I know it's not the most sensible option but, like many, I buy the generic version. I have never discussed my intention to use it with my Doctor prior to using it.

Any others in the same boat?

Cornholio

Established Member
Reaction score
I think (correct me if I'm wrong) most people here use finasteride they order online... without consulting a doctor. This is because 1) insurance doesnt often cover finasteride for cosmetic purposes 2) it is available online without a prescription 3) it is the common view here that doctors dont know much about hairloss : ) or at least nothing more than you can learn on your own by reading.

http://www.propecia.com has a good summary of risks and benefits.

I use generic too (but switched finasteride to dutasteride after years of unadvised use)

Cornholio

Established Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
What is your progress so far Corn?
Any changes with dutasteride?

Well, in a panic this spring I went from finasteride alone to dutasteride 2.5mg/day, minoxidil with retin-a, xanadrox 12.5 at the hairline, nizoral and msm... so it's hard to say what helped : ). The blitzkrieg approach did well for 2 months (hair is coarser, temples appear to have a little fine regrowth, vertex went from subtle thinning to normal) but the higher dose dutasteride initially caused some loss of libido after 2 months so I've cut back to .5mg two each day with gradual return to normal. I'm now weaning all of the meds to find the least effective regimen... Will probably stay with dutasteride .5mg, minoxidil (high dose at hairline), spironolactone and nizoral. Eventually I may drop spironolactone if Im doing well enough, saving it for later in the fight : )

I think the lesson I learned is these meds do work, but that gradually adding treatments is the way to go. Dutasteride is powerful stuff, and for me higher doses did cause some side effects (which finasteride did not) which have been slow to resolve due to the long half life... I'm trying to find the highest dose I tollerate. Still, I'm very glad it's available.

biff

Established Member
Reaction score
I went to my doctor to ask him about Propecia and he wasn't very helpful. I have since started Propecia without his knowledge.

Petchsky

Reaction score
biff said:
I went to my doctor to ask him about Propecia and he wasn't very helpful. I have since started Propecia without his knowledge.

This is why most don't bother with doctors and just order on line...