Anyone use compounded minoxidil from Murray ave apothocary?

Parsia

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the same question , if anyone use susan lotin now please let us know

Parsia

Established Member
Reaction score
I do. It does work. But some of their minoxidil is very crappy. I think they leave it in an uncontrolled room temperature environment. I actually don't live far from them, but it's too far to drive. So, if the weather is good for a few weeks, there stuff is good. My last batch I got in April is terrible. It liquefies when they don't take care of it. Let me update this post. Susan, the owner, did send me a new one. I only had one bad batch. Hopefully, she will continue to do business with me.

Thanks . So how about regrowth ? Did you experience any good regrowth with good batches?

Parsia

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your answer , 1cm In Temple area is great.

Would you please tell me how long do you use it and whats the ingredients of your minoxidil ? Is that 15 % minoxidil?

warner8

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been on her formula for 2 months. I assume it is working because my hair line and temples have shed considerably.

I am using 1 mg finasteride per day (no side effects) since last june, so I've been on finasteride a year now. I think it stabilized my hairless, but i did not any regrowth from it, which I am hoping susans formula will do.

my formula is

12% minoxidil
AA
Tretononin
Hydrocortisone

I also use her 1% melatonin (once nightly), and glut + biotin cream (mixed in with the reg cream). been using these more than a month in conjunction with her formula.

I hope for some good regrowth.

I have the same question , if anyone use susan lotin now please let us know

warner8

Established Member
Reaction score
you got results with the 30% and then switched to 15% min. why did you drop down on the percentage and not stick with 30%

also did you start on a lower percent finasteride and then work your way up to 30%?
thanks

Sorry for the delayed response. It's actually their 30% minoxidil cream, and .05 ml (.5mg finasteride daily) mixed in. I am happy with my results. The problem is you have to supplement 30% for diffuse thinning areas with 5% min. It's too think to really penetrate diffuse areas. Also, it has hydrocortisone cream in it (only the 30% does), which sometimes really burns my eyes. (It leaves a white area on the scalp, but not the bald parts). I'm in my forties, so I am a Norwood 3. For the top, completely fixed the vertex. For my hairline, it added 1 - 2cm since January. But it stopped growing hair back after 6 months. I'm switching to their 15% min, and doubling finasteride to .1 mg (from .05 mg).

warner8

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm using their 15% since july with nothing to show for it yet....wondering if i should bump up...

Actually 2cm since January 2015, when I used it (hairline, went from 4 to 3 (all vertex balding stopped, and gained 1.5 - 2cm, but it stopped on hairline, in July/August. Not balding anymore. First time I used it mixed with Finasteride (.05 ml = .5 mg daily). My hair is thicker, and I think that's from the finasteride (even at 30% minoxidil). I'm happy with the product, not the time. It used to be one week from being charged. Now, it appears my wait time is a couple of weeks, after they charge me. The product is very good quality though. I'm going to start using 15% minoxidil, and .1ml (1mg) topical finasteride.

warner8

Established Member
Reaction score
did you you go up in strength of minoxidil, like 5, then 12, then 15 then 30% minoxidil?
and does the higher strength cause a shed, and is there side effects (heart stuff, puffy eyes) etc etc

Because the hydrocortisone, which only is in the 30%, makes it difficult to treat diffuse areas. It's too thick to go on diffuse areas. The finasteride probably did more, because my hair got thicker. I can always get a script and switch back to 30%, if I start balding again. Since I've used it, my baldness has stopped.

I'm probably too optimistic, in my forties, to think any more will come back (I'm NW3). But I will be taking pictures and updating my topical finasteride blog.

warner8

Established Member
Reaction score
how do u know when to make the jump from 12 to 30%?

I never had shedding with any of the one's from Murray Avenue Pharmacy. I did go from 12.5 to 30%. Only with 30% did I get some side effects in the first week, but they went away (a little bit of puffiness in my phase). However, it stopped.

warner8

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been putting the 15% from susuan on my thinning areas from july till now, and I'm not seeing much of anything in terms of regrowth. there are still small hairs on the area, so its not bald to the touch, or upon close inspection but i just cant get those hairs to grow thicker, or even higher like the regular hairs. i feel like now is the time to act before that area becomes slick bald, so i might have to consider jumping strengths in stead of waiting to see if something is gonna happen in the next 6 months

If you have diffuse balding, stick with the 15%. I would add the .1mg finasteride with it. Susan can cut it down if you want (you pay for .1, but she can cut it down lower, the finasteride, if you ask.). If you have completely bald spots, than raise it back to 30%. I have a buzz cut (.75 of an inch/#6 guard). Even with that, it's difficult to put the 30% on my hair. That's why I switched to the 15%. I think the finasteride will do more for me. But when it gets cold, I like to grow my hair longer. The 30% makes my hair grow at least 1 - 1.2 inches per month (around where I put it, it's white underneath, the 30% has hydrocortisone in it ).

warner8

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm already on oral finasteride 1 mg everyday for over a year. do u think topical finasteride makes a difference?

thanks

You really need to add finasteride to it. I actually think the finasteride did more than the minoxidil. I'll post some pics here. Keep in mind, in 2013 I only had a small sliver (about an inch) on my forehead, which is an island. It still is bad, but I gained 1.5 - 2 centimeters on my hairline. Also it stopped balding. Now I use 15% with .1 mg finasteride, and retin-A (you might want to add that, I don't know if the min alone will be able to do it for you). I definitely had regrowth on my temple, and back. But the finasteride will probably help you.

View attachment 36441
View attachment 36442
View attachment 36443

warner8

Established Member
Reaction score
just kind of in the cross roads at this point as my bottle will be finishing soon. should i go up to the 30% with the finasteride added or buy the 15% with the finasteride added. the 15% i am sing now has everything but the finasteride (progesterone, retin a, aa, hydrator etc) its just this stuff is so expensive at $90 per bottle, and if i were to get a new scripts that would be an extra $60 just on the new srcipt from medical wellness.

I think so. I have a thread for that. I've used .05ml = .5mg orally for 11 months, with 30% minoxidil solution. I bumped it up to .1ml = 1mg. .05 cuts DHT by 40% (orally it's 35% on average). Topical finasteride cuts DHT by 80%, whereas oral cuts it down by 70%. I've only started using in November, but I really think my hair will grow back (I'll probably be a 3 or 2.8 Norwood). You can see regrowth on my temples, especially the right one (inverted, on left). There is some growing back. Also, you might want to try retin-A to your 15%. But the finasteride definitely made a difference for me.

Parsia

Established Member
Reaction score
I think so. I have a thread for that. I've used .05ml = .5mg orally for 11 months, with 30% minoxidil solution. I bumped it up to .1ml = 1mg. .05 cuts DHT by 40% (orally it's 35% on average). Topical finasteride cuts DHT by 80%, whereas oral cuts it down by 70%. I've only started using in November, but I really think my hair will grow back (I'll probably be a 3 or 2.8 Norwood). You can see regrowth on my temples, especially the right one (inverted, on left). There is some growing back. Also, you might want to try retin-A to your 15%. But the finasteride definitely made a difference for me.

My I ask how can you know you're Norwood very accurate? Like 2.8 ? How did you get that number?

I am on top finasteride too , for Topical finasteride cuts DHT by 80 % , are you refer to those couple studies?

Parsia

Established Member
Reaction score
The number 2.8 was just a guess. As far as liquid Finasteride, I found the info on this website: http://www.hairgrowthmd.com. I never used their products.

Gatton.Thanks for your answer and bringing up the Dr.Klein's website again , I thought they do not produce that anymore. because they came back to business on time and then I have noticed they can't handle it after he died.Because they located in NY , and their pharmacist was in
Florida and they didn't even follow up my prescription. But it looks they changed their website format and accepting the orders. Right now I am using Susan lotion , 15 % minoxidil with finasteride 0.1 % and other additives.

warner8

Established Member
Reaction score
do you think the 30% min can bring bald spot back to life? i buzz my hair daily to mask my male pattern baldness, so getting it to access the scalp is no problem.
i use to be such a great responder to the 5% minoxidil 6 years ago when i started to use it, i could have been poster child for rogaine. then in my late 20's it just seemed to stop having the effect, and despite being on finasteride over a year, and now even RU for over a month, i just cant get the same reaction and results i got from it previously despite using all these DHT blockers. i thought upping the % of minoxidil to 12, and now 15% would make a diff, but i am just not seeing it. so now I'm contemplating the 30% before the areas really go slick bald. i wonder if i am just now a non-responder to minoxidil, or is the dht in my scalp just way too high for it to have an effect, any thoughts on the matter?

That's exactly what I'm using now. The 15% isn't as thick as the 30%, and it spreads more easily. I use 15% with .1 finasteride, only I also have .025 Retin-A (I think that's the right amount). It's only been a little over a week. On my liquid finasteride thread, I'll post pictures each month.

- - - Updated - - -

It's supposed to. I read that on Dr. Kleins site. Keep in mind, if you raise it up to 30% min, it is extremely thick. Unless you have really short hair, you won't be able to spread it over mildly diffuse spots. And you will have to supplement with 5%. But if you have lots of bald spots, than it makes sense to bump it up to 30%. I think it's only 10$ more.

- - - Updated - - -

I've heard that about them. I'm glad I didn't use their website. I just stayed with MWC.

drock18

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on how you apply Murray's 15% in your hair? I'm a diffused thinner and Murray's product is so thick that it's hard to get onto your scalp when you have diffused thinning. I mean it doesn't spread out like a more acqueous solution does. It just sort of sits there like tiny little lines of cream on my head. should I try to massage it in or will it just sink in and spread out under the skin?

drock18

Reaction score
What about using a 10% or 15% from xandrox? Do you know if their solution is more aqueous?

Dolph

Established Member
Reaction score
Does Murray Ave have a suggested premixed compound or do you have to tell them what you want? I wouldn't mind trying a 15% minoxidil + Topical finasteride + whatever else they put in it, but I wouldn't even know what to ask for.

warner8

Established Member
Reaction score
they make everything from scratch so theres no remade tube to be bought. here is the breakdown, you need a script from their online pharmacy called medical wellness pharmacy ($60). its is there that you customize what you want. think ordering a salad and the diff topping you can add. then once you pay, murray ave will ship you the product ($90 +)

so its a 150 dollar investment to start.

Does Murray Ave have a suggested premixed compound or do you have to tell them what you want? I wouldn't mind trying a 15% minoxidil + Topical finasteride + whatever else they put in it, but I wouldn't even know what to ask for.