anyone try Alpecin Shampoo ?

Shift

Established Member
Reaction score
I do. C1 version. I'm using it as a pre wash shampoo before Revita. I can't tell if it helps ALONE cos I'm on minoxidil and finasteride too.

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes, it has been proven to help with hair loss.

I would recommend the Double Effect version as it not only has caffeine but another ingredient called "Piroctone Olamine" which has been shown to be more effective that Ketoconazole in increasing hair growth diameter.

It's about 20$/bottle on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027S ... B0027SU58A

References:
Link to Caffeine & hair loss study:
http://www.alpecin.cz/en/pdf/alpecin_research_3.pdf

Link to study showing PO's effectiveness in comparison to Keto:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18498517

Karamba

Reaction score
Alpecin is great in conjuction with other treatments like ripple said, the interesting thing is that it enhances LLLT results (Lasers), but negates minoxidil sometimes, so it's advised maybe to do some trial & error with minoxidil and caffeine.

If you're not on minoxidil, Caffeine (alpecin) will have a similar effect if you use BOTH the C1 & the after Shampoo liquid.

You can read about caffeine benefits for hair loss at http://www.alpecincaffeineshampoo.com in more friendlier language or visit http://www.alpecin.com to check out the studies they made (which were in-vitro btw) that showed the minoxidil like effect on hair

fodandahalf

Established Member
Reaction score
I used Alpecin C1 religiously for about 6 months every single day. This was when I first noticed my uneven hairline (age 17/18.) At first, my hair felt great and it made a massive improvement, which gave me the idea that the shampoo was really working, so I became attached to it.
As I researched more into male pattern baldness I began to doubt how effective it really was but still could not bring myself to stop using it, after all it isn't significantly more expensive than any other shampoo.

The very first day that I missed an alpecin wash, I worried, as I had exhausted my wage that month and would not be able to get a new bottle for a few weeks. However, I got lazy and just decided to forget the shampoo, and even after a few months, my hair did not get any worse, start to shed etc, it just remained the same, so I really do not think it had actually been doing anything great for me.

I would not take this as proof that the shampoo is a shambles by the way because I'm not even sure if I'm properly balding, and even if it doesn't work, it's a good shampoo to use on any head of hair. Don't expect wonders though because there is really no proof provided whatsoever that alpecin works. Even the baldness calculator on the website makes me doubt the product- a few simple questions, some entirely unrelated to balding (do you wear a cap etc) claim to tell you your exact age of baldness.

Basically, life story aside, if you're serious about keeping your hair, stick the the FDA approved products- finasteride and minoxidil, but by all means keep using alpecin, it certainly won't do you any harm.

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
stableforehead said:
As I researched more into male pattern baldness I began to doubt how effective it really was but still could not bring myself to stop using it, after all it isn't significantly more expensive than any other shampoo.
What caused you to doubt?

stableforehead said:
However, I got lazy and just decided to forget the shampoo, and even after a few months, my hair did not get any worse, start to shed etc, it just remained the same, so I really do not think it had actually been doing anything great for me.
How bad was your hair loss before?

stableforehead said:
Don't expect wonders though because there is really no proof provided whatsoever that alpecin works.

You should never expect wonders with a shampoo for hair loss. The ingredients don't stay on long enough on the scalp to cause wonders to happen. Alpecin was the first to discover that caffeine was effective against hair loss. Then several other companies started adding it to their formulas.

Revita, Regenepure, Perfect Image Solns, Revivogen - Just to name a few off the top of my head

Is that not proof enough for you?

stableforehead said:
Even the baldness calculator on the website makes me doubt the product- a few simple questions, some entirely unrelated to balding (do you wear a cap etc) claim to tell you your exact age of baldness.
Wearing hats is not the root cause of hair loss, but that doesn't mean it does not contribute to speeding up the process. That is probably why they included it in their calculation.

stableforehead said:
Basically, life story aside, if you're serious about keeping your hair, stick the the FDA approved products- finasteride and minoxidil, but by all means keep using alpecin, it certainly won't do you any harm.
Read my post here to understand why "FDA Approval" isn't everything you think it is.

What drug companies don't want you to know:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=68710

fodandahalf

Established Member
Reaction score
ripple-effect said:
stableforehead said:
What caused you to doubt?

stableforehead said:
However, I got lazy and just decided to forget the shampoo, and even after a few months, my hair did not get any worse, start to shed etc, it just remained the same, so I really do not think it had actually been doing anything great for me.
How bad was your hair loss before?

stableforehead said:
Don't expect wonders though because there is really no proof provided whatsoever that alpecin works.

You should never expect wonders with a shampoo for hair loss. The ingredients don't stay on long enough on the scalp to cause wonders to happen. Alpecin was the first to discover that caffeine was effective against hair loss. Then several other companies started adding it to their formulas.

Revita, Regenepure, Perfect Image Solns, Revivogen - Just to name a few off the top of my head

Is that not proof enough for you?

stableforehead said:
Even the baldness calculator on the website makes me doubt the product- a few simple questions, some entirely unrelated to balding (do you wear a cap etc) claim to tell you your exact age of baldness.
Wearing hats is not the root cause of hair loss, but that doesn't mean it does not contribute to speeding up the process. That is probably why they included it in their calculation.

stableforehead said:
Read my post here to understand why "FDA Approval" isn't everything you think it is.

What drug companies don't want you to know:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=68710

What caused me to doubt was that when I first started to do something about it, I knew absolutely nothing about hairloss. When I started researching for a few months, finding out the actual cause of male pattern baldness and also the lack of proof for Alpecin's effectiveness just made me feel a little silly religiously applying the shampoo daily before that 24 hours was up, meaning I could either not go out before I'd washed with alpecin, or had to be home for a certain time etc.

My hairloss wasn't bad, like an inch of recession on one side (been there since I was 14/15) and the left side has been catching up for the past year or so.

Them shampoos adding the caffeine complex is not proof enough for me I'm afraid as it could just be one of those 'can't hurt' things. These shampoos already contain a hair loss fighting ingredient, i.e. DHT inhibitors so aren't relying on the caffeine. The only proof I'd accept would be published photo/ video studies showing hair growth/ maintenance of hair over a long period of time. Anything that claims just to keep your hair can never really be completely proved effective as it's impossible to tell where the user would be in terms of hairloss had they not used the product. Would they be any worse off?

The baldness calculator is unquestionably ridiculous. Maybe just a bit of fun surely, but it gives you an exact age of baldness after asking only a few meaningless questions. For example, it seems to claim how bad your hairloss genes are just by asking whether there are balding men on either side of your family. It also claims that if you have reached the level 2 point (oddly enough the position of my hairline since birth) that you will eventually go bald. Wearing a hat does not contribute to baldness whatsoever. It may flatten your hair and make it seem a little limp/ thinner temporarily, but lose the hat and your hair will grow just as well as if you'd never worn a hat.

I know FDA approvals aren't the be all and end all but they're certainly more reliable than most things regarding hair loss treatments.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I used the shampoo along with the liquid tonic stuff for around 5months. I didn't think it was doing much, but then a month after quitting noticed a lot of shedding going on... that's when I jumped on minoxidil, nizoral and Tricomin.

I think it's very possible that Alpecin shampoo and liquid used together could help to halt or substantially slowdown your hairloss, but there are so many other more heavyweight topicals out there more scientific backing, that it just doesn't seem worth the cost.

Personally, I was sucked in by their tv marketing campaign, I knew nothing about regimens or meds back then, but thought alpecin would be an "affordable" way of stopping male pattern baldness :laugh:

SMart

Reaction score
So am I right on saying using in conjuction with minoxidil isn't advised? Does it negate the effects of min?

Actually more cost effective than nizoral; would like to add it to min plus finateride regime if there's no proven distruption to the min.

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
stableforehead said:
Wearing a hat does not contribute to baldness whatsoever. It may flatten your hair and make it seem a little limp/ thinner temporarily, but lose the hat and your hair will grow just as well as if you'd never worn a hat.

You're doing alot of assuming in your post. Hats can contribute to hair loss. It is false if anyone says wearing hats causes hair loss.

"Wearing hat for too long especially in hot and humid climate, however, can contribute to the excretion and accumulation of sebum and oil on your hair. Sebum is a waxy substance that is secreted by the sebaceous glands in your skin onto hair follicles. Overtime, sebum can react with cholesterol to create a hardened sebum plug that cuts off oxygen circulation to the hair follicles and cause it to fall out. Sebum plug can also accumulate dirt and become a breeding ground for bacteria and contributing to hair loss."
Link

I won't address the other assumptions b/c they are simply your opinion.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
SMart said:
So am I right on saying using in conjuction with minoxidil isn't advised? Does it negate the effects of min?

Actually more cost effective than nizoral; would like to add it to min plus finateride regime if there's no proven distruption to the min.

No, stick with the nizoral, it'll be more effective with your regimen and has much stronger science behind it than Alpecin.

Nobody is sure, as of yet, if the Caffeine in Alpecin works to counteract the effects of Minoxidil, I wouldn't advise using both together.

SMart

Reaction score
Primo said:
SMart said:

No, stick with the nizoral, it'll be more effective with your regimen and has much stronger science behind it than Alpecin.

Nobody is sure, as of yet, if the Caffeine in Alpecin works to counteract the effects of Minoxidil, I wouldn't advise using both together.

Sure thing Bodie :) Thanks for the input.

twenty.five

Established Member
Reaction score
Primo said:
I used the shampoo along with the liquid tonic stuff for around 5months. I didn't think it was doing much, but then a month after quitting noticed a lot of shedding going on... that's when I jumped on minoxidil, nizoral and Tricomin.

I think it's very possible that Alpecin shampoo and liquid used together could help to halt or substantially slowdown your hairloss, but there are so many other more heavyweight topicals out there more scientific backing, that it just doesn't seem worth the cost.

Personally, I was sucked in by their tv marketing campaign, I knew nothing about regimens or meds back then, but thought alpecin would be an "affordable" way of stopping male pattern baldness :laugh:

Such as? Tricomin, perhaps? No, the evidence for copper peptides is no stronger than the evidence for caffiene.

At least Alpecin is inexpensive and convenient to use.

twenty.five

Established Member
Reaction score
Primo said:
SMart said:

minoxidil is completely absorbed within 4 hours, so if you use them 4+ hours apart, there is no interaction.

Where does the idea that caffeine counteracts minoxidil even come from? Is it just an idea that's passed around on the internet but without any evidence behind it?

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
twenty.five said:
Primo said:

Such as? Tricomin, perhaps? No, the evidence for copper peptides is no stronger than the evidence for caffiene.

At least Alpecin is inexpensive and convenient to use.

Alpecin is backed up with test tube evidence, Copper Peptides however are backed up with clinical trials on human subjects.

Inexpensive and convenient don't come into it, if you can't even find anecdotal visible evidence on the internet that it works on human subjects, then it is a pointless waste of time, not to mention hair!

I never even mentioned Tricomin, it's just an add on to my regimen, but when you consider the many other heavyweight topicals out there including minoxidil, spironolactone, Reviogen, RU etc... Alpecin becomes redundant and pointless.