anyone tried fasting, or juice fasting?

powersam

Reaction score
i'm becoming increasingly interested in the potential benefits of a regular fast as it seems to have a very beneficial effect on people. anyone tried a fast, or a juice fast before?

Felk

Reaction score
Hey mate, what benefits have you heard about?

It was my understanding that fasting and skipping meals had a detrimental effect on metabolism.

powersam

Reaction score
lowering blood sugars is good, slowing metabolism is good. this is what a fast would do to you.

too soon to talk about effects, only done a day so far.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
powersam said:
lowering blood sugars is good, slowing metabolism is good. this is what a fast would do to you.

fasts are supposed to be best thing you can do to cleanse your body. A complete fast with only water is also very difficult and detoxing symptoms are a b**ch!

powersam

Reaction score
shedmaster - all the reading ive done on it has led me to believe fasting could be very beneficial. im on a juice fast right now, fresh juice only (got me a sexy juicing machine, i just chuck whatever fruits and vegetables i have in there and it spits out brown juice)

might try a water fast after i see how this one goes. the detox headache has come and gone, but it was a motherfucker of a headache.

oni

Reaction score
Why not just eat healthy in the first place! no need to detox then!!! :D

lowering blood sugars is good
Ok so what about the spike when you start eating "normally" again! :lol:

ShedMaster

Reaction score
powersam said:
shedmaster - all the reading ive done on it has led me to believe fasting could be very beneficial. im on a juice fast right now, fresh juice only (got me a sexy juicing machine, i just chuck whatever fruits and vegetables i have in there and it spits out brown juice)

might try a water fast after i see how this one goes. the detox headache has come and gone, but it was a motherfucker of a headache.

The water fast is supposed to be mucho worse then the juice fast as far as symptoms. How have you felt mentally since you started doing the fast? My roommate did a 30 day water fast so I can talk from experience if you have questions.

powersam

Reaction score
oni it doesnt work that way, the more your glucose levels spike, the more often they will spike.

having a day off food a week increases insulin sensitivity by 60% meaning less spikes.

moreover eating healthy in itself is a subject open to debate. what do you take as healthy? potato? bread? it could be argued that both of those are far more damaging to the body than many so called bad foods such as red meat or chocolate.

oni

Reaction score
No not potato and bread!! who said they are healthy, you need to eat a diet that is as close as possible to our ancestors the hunter gatherers!

Modern farming (and the food it brings) in terms of evolution is very new to the human body. :wink:

If you need to "detox" you should eat lots of basic plant fibre and drink lots of water plus a little bit of fruit juice.

You need the fibre to clean your colon out! how can you "detox" with water or just fruit juice when you could still have crap sticking in your colon!

The only way to clean your colon out with just water is to use Colonic irrigation! :uglylol:

Felk

Reaction score
powersam said:

Slowing metabolism is good? Why is that?

powersam

Reaction score
felk - why would you need or want a fast metabolism unless you just wanted to stuff yourself with unnecessary amounts of food. in evolutionary terms a fast metabolism would be a very bad survival trait. it would mean you had to eat far more than those around you just to survive. you get me?

moreover studies done around the world looking at average lifespans have found that one of the common traits to the long lived have been that they eat far less than the typical western diet. small meals based around fuit, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and small amounts of animal flesh.

like if you sit down and eat a steak with some veg and potatoes etc, you'll probably only absorb a very small fraction of those nutrients and either sh*t out the rest or your body may store it as fat. so why eat it in the first place.

oni - i agree completely and in the lead up to this juice fast i ate only fruit and veg for that exact reason. the high fibre types, like oranges with the pith left on etc. that said even though i'm only drinking liquids im still producing quite a large amount of solid waste.

diet wise i also agree, my basic rule is if its poisonous raw then dont eat it cooked either. which puts potato, wheat and corn totally off my plate.

Felk

Reaction score
powersam said:
felk - why would you need or want a fast metabolism unless you just wanted to stuff yourself with unnecessary amounts of food. in evolutionary terms a fast metabolism would be a very bad survival trait. it would mean you had to eat far more than those around you just to survive. you get me?

I didn't think you needed to eat more, i thought it was just something which prevented you from putting on weight as easily. It's not something i've looked into that much, I was just surprised since I've only ever heard a fast one was good.

I book i've been reading about controlling insulin levels used to go on about "making the most of your metabolism" to help you keep off dangerous weight.

powersam said:
moreover studies done around the world looking at average lifespans have found that one of the common traits to the long lived have been that they eat far less than the typical western diet. small meals based around fuit, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and small amounts of animal flesh.

I've heard this as well. It seems like a strong correlation. Though at this stage a correlation only, the causation hasn't been proved conclusively no?

My main problem with minimising animal flesh and eating small portions is I'm lean, and in terms of building muscle a "hard gainer." I need to eat lots and work out to gain muscle. But i have almost no fat on me, and i was under the impression this was due to my good (fast) metabolism.

powersam

Reaction score
the only reason a fast metabolism is seen as a good thing is because we collectively eat FAR more than we need to. there is absolutely no advantage to having a fast metabolism apart from being able to eat more than you need to and not get fat. for example, which car would you prefer, one that got got a thousand km out of a full tank, or one that only got 600km from the same amount of fuel.

the one thing that has been proved about the long lived is that they all share great glucose control. ie/ good insulin sensitivity. which is usually the result of following a low calorie diet, made up of foods which wont cause insulin spikes.

a bodybuilding friend of mine told me that if i was ever gonna put on real muscle i would have to slow my metabolism down, because no matter how much i ate my body woudl just burn it off or pass it through. who knows where all that excess energy goes? probably plays hell with our endocrine system.

Felk

Reaction score
powersam said:
the one thing that has been proved about the long lived is that they all share great glucose control. ie/ good insulin sensitivity. which is usually the result of following a low calorie diet, made up of foods which wont cause insulin spikes.

I wonder how this relates to weight training. I was sure body builders deliberately ate foods to give them insulin spikes whilst training, no?

powersam

Reaction score
why would an insulin spike be of any use during weight training?

that aside, if you look at the diets of serious body builders there are no really high GI foods in there. also they are mostly based around 5-6 small meals a day which is great for avoiding insulin spikes and raised cortisol levels.

Felk

Reaction score
powersam said:
why would an insulin spike be of any use during weight training?

It's definitely something they go for, I'm sure of it. I've read it many times, "get a bit of an insulin spike going..." though it could of course be bad advice.

example...
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... c&start=20

Leucine is the way to go. 8-10 grams post workout added to a good whey protein isolate mixed with high glycemic index carbs to promote an increased insulin spike and uptake

this is the sort of thing I've seen posted frequently.

powersam said:
that aside, if you look at the diets of serious body builders there are no really high GI foods in there. also they are mostly based around 5-6 small meals a day which is great for avoiding insulin spikes and raised cortisol levels.

I read a few diets of body builders when I was first looking into weight training, though not many I'll admit. I do remember different mixes of "20 grams simple carbs" and "30g complex carbs" etc. i got bored of that pretty quick and just did some weights when I tohught i should, so you'd probably be more in the know than me

G

Tomorrow I am gonna start fasting for one week. Wish me luck, guys!