Anyone tried 0.75mg finasteride?

momo

Established Member
Reaction score
Been using propecia + rogaine for 7 months with outstanding results within the 3 first months. I cut off to 0.5 mg a day due to major sides at month 6. 21 days and I lost about half of what i've regrown (almost full head). Also the itching is back, and the my scalp is flaking. This is horrible.

It makes me so upset since I know how good of a responder I am.

I was thinking to take 0.75mg a day, i.e 3 quarters a days. Can anyone (with experience) relate?

Britannia

Reaction score
For god sake sometimes I think some people just exist to wind me up. The dose is 1mg. Anything else is risky, illogical and down right stupid. Stick with 1mg, ride out the sheds and the sides. 86% chance of success and 2% chance of sides. Enough said.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Britannia said:
The dose is 1mg. Anything else is risky, illogical and down right stupid.

momo said:
Stop this mantra. We heard you. You are wrong.

Britannia, I don't understand how you can assume that lowering the dosage of this particular medicine will have any detrimental effects, besides that of maybe losing some more hair-- I don't see it as being "downright" stupid, as you put it.

Momo, I think that if you do lower the dosage, then you shouldn't go down to less than .5mg. I tried to find a chart of the finasteride dosage efficacy, but I can't find it now. From what I remember, even .5/mg is as effective as 1.0/mg.

jumpedthegun

Established Member
Reaction score
britannia, ease up.

i'm sure if a doctor could do some tests and come up with the precise finasteride dose for every one of his patients, you would find a very wide range of doses prescribed among male pattern baldness sufferers.

however, merck had to decide on a dose for EVERYONE. Including someone who is 34, a Norwood 4, and aggressively balding, as well as someone who is 24 and "thinks" he might be receding a little bit. When I feel a little parched and make my way to the vending machine for a soda, i drink about half of it and throw the rest away. turns out, i'm satiated on much less than what Coca-Cola decided would be the ideal amount of coke to put in a can to sell it to the masses. hmmm.

i've never had any side effects (knock on wood), so i'm not gonna berate a guy who wants to reduce his dose so that he doesn't have to deal with embarassing side effects. sure, merck says the sides go away MOST of the time, but try telling that to someone who can't get intimate with his girl.

finasteride has been PROVEN to reduce DHT at doses much less than 1mg. And guess what, side effects are reported at a much lower frequency. Mopo, if you can't take the sides then there is nothing wrong with a little trial-and-error to find the dose that works best for you. However, regardless of the dose you take, consistency is important, so don't mess with your dose too much. I think .75 is probably just as effective as 1mg. Give it a go and GOODLUCK.

Britannia

Reaction score
My point is very simple. Treating hairloss is hard enough as it is, without complicating matters by inventing your own dosages. Millions of men (think about that for one second) are happily enjoying life with hair thanks to 1mg Finasteride. OK so 2% of these may have sides, but as Bryan has reported before its likely they would experience sides even on a lowered dosage of finasteride (if this lowered dosage of finasteride still allowed them to maintain hair). It seems that the chance of getting sides is proportional to the success of the Finasteride in helping hairloss not to the dosage of Finasteride taken.

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Where is the test comparing .5mg vs 1mg finasteride when ya need it.

MEvsMPB

Reaction score
im currently reducing from 1,25mg/day to 0,83mg/day
I'll do this consistantly for 4 months and will keep you updated.

BTW I made great progress in both, stopping hairloss and regrowth, and I'm on finasteride for a year

I'll keep you updated of my progress

Good luck

Bash

Established Member
Reaction score
momo...

how much hair had you lost prior to treatment? Any regrowth on hairline and temples?

momo

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a front thinner, not a receider.
I have experienced major thickening.

momo

Established Member
Reaction score
Update: after a wonderful month on 0.5mg/day, I'm having this nut ache (never had this before). Heard it's common, but it's too scary. I've grown tons of hair, but I think it's time to say good bye to ant propecia.

Chorizo

Reaction score
Update: after a wonderful month on 0.5mg/day, I'm having this nut ache (never had this before). Heard it's common, but it's too scary. I've grown tons of hair, but I think it's time to say good bye to ant propecia.
I had the same nut ache, started after about 1 month on propecia, I had the same doubts as you, I stuck it out though and it went away after about 8 days. Thank god no ache anymore..
Already feel my hair thickening on top, now crossing my fingers that my temples will start to fill in.

jumpedthegun

Established Member
Reaction score
that's unfortunate that you are now having sides on .5mg and it's not even working to grow/maintain your hair.

you should ask around to find a good non-finasteride regimine, like spironolactone, etc. you might be able to keep what you gained on finasteride (at least for a while) or at least stop the male pattern baldness from progressing. in other words, don't give up the fight.

momo

Established Member
Reaction score
Update:
The pelvic pain hasn't stopped. I'm also running a lot to the bathroom. I went to the dr. and he said I have an infection, sent me to have some tests and gave me antibiotics.

I never suffered from anything like this before. I think I have an acute prostatitis case. I also brought up the idea that it might have started due to lowering my finasteride dosage, since it happened exactly 1 month after the reduce, and since finasteride has been shown to treat prostatitis.

Any experts, HairLossTalk.com?

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
It could be prostatitis. I had it once and let me tell you, it's rough. I can definitely relate if that's the case.

momo said:
Update:
The pelvic pain hasn't stopped. I'm also running a lot to the bathroom. I went to the dr. and he said I have an infection, sent me to have some tests and gave me antibiotics.

I never suffered from anything like this before. I think I have an acute prostatitis case. I also brought up the idea that it might have started due to lowering my finasteride dosage, since it happened exactly 1 month after the reduce, and since finasteride has been shown to treat prostatitis.

Any experts, HairLossTalk.com?