Anyone taking more than 1mg of Propecia a day?

bluechips

Established Member
Reaction score
I just started taking 1.5 mg a day to see if there's any difference. I'm thinking about bumping up to 2mg/day if I feel no side effects. Anyone tried this?

first

Established Member
Reaction score
hair today gone tomorrow said:
not gonna be much of a difference...the 5arII inhibition plateaus right around 1 mg of finasteride.
Source? As all studies I've seen has indicated a much lower plateau.

Ichibi

Reaction score
first said:
hair today gone tomorrow said:
not gonna be much of a difference...the 5arII inhibition plateaus right around 1 mg of finasteride.
Source? As all studies I've seen has indicated a much lower plateau.

Yea like .2 Taking more than 1mg a day seems like a waste.

Mr. Hairy Palms

Reaction score
DUDES,

i just found this paper written by a doctor who got access to the FDA studies done by Merck through the freedom of information act... it is a must read for anyone on finasteride or who is planning on starting finasteride. It shows that the effectiveness of finasteride is almost identical if you take 0.2mg compared to 5mg. crazyness eh? in fact, going lower than 1 mg is suggested because it is still about 90% effective in blocking dht, but side effects decrease. check the paper, its legit,as it comes from a well known university. this the definite answer/conclusion to all you guys wondering about dosage amounts of finasteride, as I know there has been alot of debate on the subject on this forum. Merck does not want you to see this because everyone paying for full price propecia can cut their pills and there bills in half:

http://www.physics.upenn.edu/facultyinf ... index.html

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score
philly said:
Ian Curtis said:
philly said:
The best would be to take 5mg finasteride 4 times a day.
lol

Ignorance, ignorance, ignorance. OMFG. With 5mg of finasteride every 24 hours, the serum variation of the 5AR2 enzyme AND DHT is approximately 10%. You can draw your own conclusions.

<Taken from BaldingBlog>
http://www.baldingblog.com/2007/12/06/t ... ice-daily/

"If the half-life of finasteride is 4 to 5 hours, wouldn’t it be better to split the 1mg propecia pill in two, and take one in the morning, and one in the evening?

The half life of finasteride is 4.5 hours. This means that in 4.5 hours, serum levels of finasteride drop to the half of its original level, but the tissue levels will last longer than the serum levels. Finasteride blocks the effect of the enzyme 5-alpha-reductase, and the effects of the medication due to the blocking of this enzyme is actually much longer and can last up to a few days. On the other hands, the body can eliminate the finasteride, but the pharmacological effects of the medication persist long after.

Considering long lasting pharmacological effects of finasteride, taking it on a more frequent basis probably does not make any difference in its final results."

Taking finasteride more than once a day does not make any aditional benefits,this has already been discussed:

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=44293

beaner said:
The half-life of finasteride has nothing to do with it's effectiveness. It reduces DHT by "x" percentage shortly after ingestion and it is the slow regeneration of the 5ar enzyme, which binds with testosterone to create DHT, that keeps your DHT levels low for several days before slowly climbing back up. It's doubtful that taking finasteride more than once per day will have any added benefit.
My apologies to Beaner for using his words.

Hope this enlightens you.

KielMcK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I take 2 mG everyday.... in the morning....

beaner

Reaction score
philly said:
!

Morale: Please read the appropriate graphs before replying and make up your own mind instead of listening to often completely ignorant posters! Thanks!

Ignorant posters? I'm sure you mean "moral" and not "morale" didn't you, genius? Why don't you quit being rude to people, jerk.

BTW, are you bashing or recommending Rogaine foam this week?

ITNEVERRAINS

Established Member
Reaction score
i've been taking .25mg for two weeks, body seems to handle it, we'll see what that does. Not curious to go higher. Ever. I would think 20mg of finasteride a day = changing your name to Brokedick Nicetits immediately.

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score
philly, instead of insulting people on this forum, you could try posting a link to that so called study you found (mind you, all the studies available to the public are not at all accurate).

Taking more than 5 mg a day or repeating the same dosage multiple times a day would not be better in terms of DHT inhibition,so Ive heard on this forum not only from beaner,who has a significant amount of posts(possibly he has been on the forum for longer so he has read more) but also from other more veteran forum members, i was unable to find those threads.

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic3/propecia_cp.htm

From this reference, finasteride works primarily on the Type II
isozyme of the 5-alpha reductase. Here is a quote:
"In humans, the mechanism of action of finasteride is based on its
preferential inhibition of the Type II isozyme. Using native tissues
(scalp and prostate), in vitro binding studies examining the potential
of finasteride to inhibit either isozyme revealed a 100-fold
selectivity for the human Type II 5a-reductase over Type I isozyme
(IC50=500 and 4.2 nM for Type I and II, respectively). For both
isozymes, the inhibition by finasteride is accompanied by reduction of
the inhibitor to dihydrofinasteride and adduct formation with NADP+.
The turnover for the enzyme complex is slow ([half-life] approximately
30 days for the Type II enzyme complex and 14 days for the Type I
complex
)."

This means, as one commentator stated, that the half-life of the
enzyme after long term exposure to finasteride is approximately 30
days.

And if you rely so much on studies here's this, it basically tells you that finasteride wont work better if u take more than once a day:
http://www.fda.gov/cder/foi/label/2001/20788s003lbl.pdf

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ITNEVERRAINS said:
i've been taking .25mg for two weeks, body seems to handle it, we'll see what that does. Not curious to go higher. Ever. I would think 20mg of finasteride a day = changing your name to Brokedick Nicetits immediately.

No joke. Even if 20mg could restore a NW7 to a NW1, I don't think it would be worth it.

Might as well be castrated if you want to go that route.

JWM

Reaction score
BTW, are you bashing or recommending Rogaine foam this week?

:mrgreen:

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
taking more than the recommended 1mg is going to be a waste...you wont notice much of a difference as far as results go...its def not worth the money either.

if you want to inhibit more 5ar you might as well take dutas