anyone successful with just minoxidil?

jsmith

Reaction score
has anyone out there just taking minoxidil (or minoxidil and nizoral/tsal) had any decent long-term results, especially in retaining?

i've read a lot of posts on this forum saying that minoxidil only gives a jump above baseline and the long-term decline then happens at the same rate.

but the article from the Tokyo Hair Loss Conference in 2001 given on HairLossTalk.com shows a large portion of men having success in retaining for 5 years using minoxidil. and dr. lee claims that minoxidil will work in retaining for most men too.

i'm not really sure what to believe on this...

user1234

Reaction score
any other takers on this subject, I'm "just" starting to lose my hair and I wanna get ontop of it early. I would like to know if minoxidil will hold me over for the next like 3 mos till I can get into the doctors office to get a Rx for Propecia. Maybe I should just hold off because the shedding might make it look worse than it has to sooner?

G

if you ONLY will do minoxidil the 3 month till you can get propecia, then it will not help you at all... maybe it will even make things worse because you shed, and want regain the hairs, because you stop minoxidil again!!!

but if you have plans on doing minoxidil for the next many years, yes then start as soon as possible...

but if i was you, i would wait with the minoxidil, and just hurry to your Doctor and get the prescripstion for propecia... why wait 3 month???

i started minoxidil to, and i think its a pain... 2 times a day, sticky hair, dandruf.... so i quitted after 2 months and wish i never started... (think it made my hairline a little worse... but only a little)

user1234

Reaction score
yeah, i think you're probably right, I'm seeing up an appointment to see the doctor today. I dont know if I should ask for the Proscar or the Propecia, I've looked around on the forums but couldn't find witch of the two are better. The cost doesn't mean much to me at this point. I just want to know what works best.

G

if you had done your research right, you would know that there are absolutely NO difference in the two...! Propecia and Proscar both contains ''Finasteride'', which is what you are looking for...!! they are just containing different mg's... 1 vs. 5..!! So if you choose Proscar whick contains 5 mg, you will have to cut them into 5's ( 4's)... so you get the recommended 1 mg (1.25mg) you see??

user1234

Reaction score
I just didn't know if propecia had any other extra added ingredents that geared twards hair loss that proscar probably wouldn't have, I knew they both had finasteride but if thats all they both are I don't why there is such a discrepency in the price / mg

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
The discrepancy lies in the fact that Merk figures they can charge a lot more for a hair loss cure (propecia) than they can to shrink your prostate (proscar).

But, yes, they are the same drug except for the strength:

propecia = 1 mg finasteride
proscar = 5 mg finasteride

fallout

Reaction score
Ihad great success for 6-7 years with 2% minoxidil. After this time I started to go downhill. Nothing has been anywhere as effective since then

jsmith

Reaction score
thanks, fallout... i'm happy to hear you had good results for that long. what happened at the 6-7 year mark? was it a gradual decline or a quick resumption of loss? did you try switching to 5% minoxidil or something else?

has anyone else had any long-term experience with just minoxidil?