Anyone sprouting black, kinky hairs?

LlamaMamaTN7

Reaction score
Hey everyone...I'm new to this forum and managed to stumble across it as I was looking for possible solutions to this endless hair loss madness. I'm 21 years old and started losing massive amounts of hair about 6 months ago...in addition to losing anywhere from 200-300 hairs a day, I've noticed that there are areas on my scalp that are sprouting these nasty black, kinky hairs (having the appearance of pubic hair...sorry to be so blunt and gross). I've been to a dermatologist 4 times so far, where he's done lab work, taken a scalp biopsy, etc., and according to what he's gathered, he says everything is fine. But I don't consider this to be fine or normal. My hair used to be so thick, straight, and healthy, and now it looks like a big wad of straw. I don't know what to do, but I feel like the dermatologist isn't taking me seriously. Also, when some of those black hairs fall out, they have a black root (normally, the "club hairs" tend to have a white knob on them, but these are black). And in addition to being black, they are covered in a gray film that is rather sticky. The dermatologist couldn't give me an answer as to why this is happening...he suggested that it was stress related and could possibly be Telogen Effluvium, but do these nasty black hairs grow when it is Telogen Effluvium? Please someone help! I'm trying not to stress out over this, because I'm sure it will only make matters worse, but I'm needing to understand what in the hell is going on.

Jess

joe_mama

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey

Llama, I've also noticed some thick hairs that seem to get jagged or "kinky" at the end. I'm not sure what this is about either. And some that aren't kinky seem to have a curl to them (I have straight hair). I'm not sure what this is all about either. Anyone else?

vanessa

Reaction score
I've noticed them too. I've always had a few, but now I think that is the primary type of hair growing. I have wavy hair, but these are different and hard to tame. I have been trying to research it on the internet and the only thing I came across was on Keratin.com.....they say that DHT (the primary cuplrit in Androgenetic Alopecia) can affect the hair follicle, thus creating these kinky type hairs. Yet, that is the only site I found info on it. So now, on top of hair loss, I've been pulling these sukcers out cause I cant stand them. I am collecting a sample of them to take to my derm. Hope she's familiar with it.

LlamaMamaTN7

Reaction score
Vanessa -

I am feeling ya...same thing with me! I actually took some to my dermatologist so that he could look at the hair underneath the microscope, however, he isn't taking my seriously. Since I don't have any visible bald spots yet, and all of my labwork/biopsy came back ok, he feels as if there is no reason to push the issue any further. But there is something very wrong with the fact that I now look like a pubic head. If, according to the dermatologist I saw, my DHT levels are a-ok, then can anyone tell me why my hair is changing to this black mess? I don't understand it, but if it keeps it up, I'm going to have to shave my entire head to avoid the disgusting sight of these sprouting wonders.

Jess

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
LlamaMamaTN7 said:
I actually took some to my dermatologist so that he could look at the hair underneath the microscope, however, he isn't taking my seriously.
Is there something someone told you could be done by looking at hairs under a microscope? A hair biopsy to my understanding does not reveal much if any information regarding the causes of hair loss. I could be mistaken but this wasn't part of any protocol for the diagnosis or treatment or hair loss in men or women in any of the papers we've read. Your dermatologist was probably thinking the same thing when you brought them in to him. Let me know if you've come across something since though - we're always open to the latest techniques!

By the way, as you're soon to find out, the average doctor, and dermatologist for that matter, has about 10 minutes worth of education stored in their head on hair loss, and even less on women's hair loss, so you may need to do some research and ask around. A good place to start is by posting a question on the Keratin.com Discussion Forums to Kevin, the site owner. He is a head dermatologist in germany and knows quite a bit. He will likely be your source of the best possible information out there.

HairLossTalk.com